8 years kiting and I was so wrong about boards

Forum for kitesurfers
JGTR
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 8 years kiting and I was so wrong about boards

Postby JGTR » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:46 am

So to recap some dude copies the Mako, sold it to another dude who has a boner over it????

Flight Time
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Venice Beach
Skyway Bridge North
Style: Freeride
Gear: 12 Epic Screamer
14 Epic Screamer
12 Liquid Force Havoc
16 Cabrinha Switchblade
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Flight Time » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:36 am

Hey, since there are so many Shinn riders on this thread, which of their current offerings would fit a 180 pound rider in both chop and flat water, not spray in your face, launch big and land soft? The only board I have ever owned is an aging 2011 Cab Rival 147/45, which is I guess nice and soft, but occasionally will choke me with a nosefull of spray.

I want something that has really good loading and can help me put that extra edge in before the jump to launch me to the moon, and when I come down with a lot of forward speed will be controllable through chop at that speed. The Rival just has zero control at high speed in chop, and when I come down with forward speed, I'm pretty much guaranteed a nasty wipeout. I'd also like it to have a lot of upwind drive through chop.

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:10 am

panchito wrote:
TheJoe wrote:I read your post and yes you don't have a clue about boards, and like you said neither does the kite industry. Boards should be stiffer and have more rocker. Think wake boards with a little less rocker and you get the ideal board.

Just funny how people are trying to reinvent the board when the wake boarding industry has all ready done all the years of R&D. All the kite industry has to do is start copying so of their designs.

Really ? Did I mentioned that my home spot is Tarifa ? Does folks like Ricky Shapes / Jaime Herraiz or KC sounds something to you ?

Back in the good days , most of " the " board shapes came from Tarifa .... so I guess , I went thru 8 years of board development " on site " .

Have you ever tried out using a wake board in low winds ? and then .... Liquid Force boards are essentially wake boards with less rocker ...

Next please .....

Regards

Franz
Wow really so I agree with your original post and then you blast me for it. I'm so confused. I have used wake boards in low winds but low wind for me is 15kts. If it's lower than that I'll just go wakeboarding. Oh and if flex is good why don't race boards have it? Please explain to me why skim boards plane so damn well and are amazing for light wind?

Sorry Toby but Slingy is trying they just are not there yet. If they would just make the Asylum a little bit stiffer or take some rocker out of a wake board we might get an eureka moment in the industry.

I'm not too worried about people disagreeing with me on this forum. Everyone here pimps brands to no end. The best thing ever is what we ride in our eyes. Just look at any post on this forum about a specific kite or board. It does not take long and everyone is saying the brand they ride is what some one should get even though they never asked about it. So when I get blasted for criticizing the industry I take it with a grain of salt.

The industry is headed in the right direction. How many companies are now coming out with rocker in their boards?

papasmerf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Weight: 195
Local Beach: west coast
Style: lawn mower
Gear: Slingshot, North, moses, flysurfers, some ozone again, and 17 years of accumulated kite stuff
Brand Affiliation: I like slingshot and north. good folks

Postby papasmerf » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:49 am

well, my experience is this. got caught up in the forum hype over nobile/shinn boards about 5 years ago, bought a used nobile 666 and then a shinn pro. both very pricey even used, which is how i bought them. new they wanted like 899 or something crazy. no way to demo so just believed the same shinn pimps that are on here now. both boards spray you in the face, especially the 666. they are both really hard on your knees and joints. the stock footpads and straps were so shitty there were numerous threads on this forum dedicated to complaining about them and finding an alternative. the question arises---why would anyone pay 899 for a board and then have to pay another 200 for straps and pads that worked?

so once again, everyone is supposed to believe that shinn has designed an amazing board that doesn't spray riders and cuts through chop? why the f*** didn't he just design it that way the first time???!!!
answer: cause it was bullsh** the first time and it is BULLSH** now

nobile and shinn= typical scam and con job via forum pimping.

i bought a mako about a year after buying the nobiles, the shinn boards stayed home from then on so thank god the last 5 years have been ENJOYABLE and FUN.

at least all the claims about the mako are accurate.

i've been kiting over 10 years and have ridden a lot of stuff. i call it like i see it and i won't be responding to any flamers cause i probly wont' sign on again for a few months.

merry christmas to all, including mark shinn! (enjoy my $1000)

SBBeachbum
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SBBeachbum » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:19 am

Buttersmooth in chop, healthy rocker, no flex. Airush nailed that in 2006 with the Hammer 138.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:36 am

You are making judgements on a shinn from 5 years back! Then saying the new ones are also crap? Have you ridden the latest shinn boards? If not your opinion, while I was enjoying your enthusiasm is just damn right naive. I ride a similar board in the mako king, and I also ride a shinn monk. Both are smooth, but I can tell you the shinn can be ridden at much much higher speeds. I'm using TODAY'S board comparison, my mako is 2013. You are bringing the attention to what is a very good design concept and spoiling it with your ignorant drivel. Just settle down mate and stop sounding so stupid.

Now that I have got that out the way, yes the amazing thing about such a design is its ability to go from riding it flat driven by fins, to then getting right up on the rail to load up a massive edge. It is truly remarkable in that manner. Also I have it set up as a TT with a slight bias to the thruster fin side. In the surf I actually take my foot out the straps and ride it strapless. How good is that!

Was out today in 17 to 20 knots on an 11m edge which require you to hold a massive edge or die, and I'm only 74 kg. boooooost. Then crack onto a wave coming the other way. Amazing concept.

But I still vouch for the shinn in winds higher than this and in serious chop. In serious chop I can tell you, if you want to actually load up, you need to slow this board down. It has no flex, so at high speeds you tend to whack the next chop line with no flex to soften the blow.

That's my take, awesome board that should be considered for every board quiver but its not the only board people should consider.

jumarcil
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Bozo Beach
Gear: Core xr3: 7 and 9, escape 11m 2015, leopard 9 and 11

Postby jumarcil » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:35 pm

I haven't tried the older shinn model of five years ago so I cant comment on those. I did try the mako for a couple of months though. It is actually a very nice piece of equipment.

Now the shinn: I have a Supershinn + Monk Forever. I bought those boards after reading so many good reviews on 4 different kite forums. I told myself they can't all be wrong, right ?

Best boards I have ever owned. So if you want to review a board; the least you could do is try it. Than you can bitch all you want if you don't like it.

And saying that if they are so good now why didn't he make them so good in the first place... it is called progress and evolution. Tell that to Ford... the fiesta is now a decent car, why didn't they make it like that in the first place instead of that piece of junk it use to be :idea: ???

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:47 pm

As applies the latest board you are talking about. Lets go back five years and see what the mako design was like.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:48 pm

Hey westoz.

What would you change on the mako king if you could?

would you give it some flex to make it better in high winds/chop?

maybe I should add some mako into my next mutant build.

its not a bit slidy going backwards with only one fin?

Flight Time
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Venice Beach
Skyway Bridge North
Style: Freeride
Gear: 12 Epic Screamer
14 Epic Screamer
12 Liquid Force Havoc
16 Cabrinha Switchblade

Postby Flight Time » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:55 pm

jumarcil wrote:Now the shinn: I have a Supershinn + Monk Forever. I bought those boards after reading so many good reviews on 4 different kite forums. I told myself they can't all be wrong, right ?

Best boards I have ever owned.
What is the difference between the two, from your perspective?

Return to “Kitesurfing”