Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Light wind Airush one 16M vs Fat Lady or other LW kites.

Forum for kitesurfers
windfreak
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Light wind Airush one 16M vs Fat Lady or other LW kites.

Postby windfreak » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:00 pm

Hi guys,i weight about 225 pds and fly a zephyr for almost 3 years,it s my go to kite when i can`t use my 12m with a big tt.That said i think it`s a good kite for: very good high end over 20kts,no pullys,simplicity ,easy to self launch etc.A bit slooow turning but for me it does the job.Have not try many lightwind kite,but for me the high end of the kite is almost more important than the low-end ,and this kite does depowered nicely when the wind is going stronger,no stress,smoooth is the best way to describe it.My 2 cents, the Freak.

DSZ
Frequent Poster
Weight: 188
Local Beach: New England
Favorite Beaches: Cape Ann, Cape Cod, Hatteras, Turks and Caicos.
Style: Prefer Surf
Gear: Airush Lithiums and Wave. Custom Amundson, BWS surfboards. Occasional Jamie Pro 139 TT

Postby DSZ » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:53 pm

I have to throw my 2 cents in regarding a 2012 Airush 14 LW. I weigh about 185 lbs and am not interested in riding under 10 knots. I find this kite to be my saviour for riding 12-17 knots with TTs, a regular say 135 size TT and then I have an older Nobile 143 EXT lw board. Recently while visiting the Turks and Caicos Islands while kiting in 12-14 knots the only other kiter able to go up wind effortlessly with me was a guy using a CORE XR 15 LW. I find the Airush powerful, stable, stays overhead in very little wind, turns well for a larger kite, is very light in weight thanks to the 3 struts I guess, boosts well, never a hint of back stalling & relaunches easily. Overall a joy to fly. The quality seems good and I like the bar. My only complaint is the front line "Y" connection is too far up to easily reach for self landing but for 2013 I understand they have brought the Y down low so you can grab a line to easily self land. At my weight and ability I think at 20 knots it becomes a handful but flys very well depowered. Shout out to Kyle at Airush and Daryl in Florida for the good advice. :thumb:

KitePaddleSurf
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Locust Beach, Hunter Beach, Driftwood Beach, Sandy Point, Birch Bay, West Beach, Sandy Heights, Dogfish Beach, Glass Beach, Post Point.
Favorite Beaches: Locust Beach
Style: Big Air/Freestyle
Gear: Liquid Force, Slingshot, Ocean Rodeo
Brand Affiliation: www.kitepaddlesurf.com

Postby KitePaddleSurf » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:29 am

Wanted to share some insights as I have a little time on the 2013 Fat Lady, and have flown the Infinity, Zephyr, Turbine and 17m TS.

I just posted a full review of the 2013 Fat Lady in the main forum, but the biggest improvements I see are increased Low End and much better UP wind.

That being said, I didn't think the original Fat Lady had problems going up wind at my weight (100kg), but had smaller riders comment that they did have trouble going upwind when well powered. (could just be they were over powered at at the limit for the kite at their weight)

I was able to comfortably ride the new Fat Lady in 20-25mph yesterday. I think its upper wind stability has increased significantly.

Comparing the FL to the Zephyr, Turbine and 17m TS, I'll say the Fat Lady (even first generation) can fly circles around them. The Infinity is just as fast (possibly faster), but a smaller kite with less low end.

Why is the Fat Lady special? I don't know of another kite that is built with as much emphasis on reduced diameter leading edge and struts.... making for a super light kite per meter.

I have tried foil kites (lots of them), and haven't found one Iove because they are slower turning, and feel less active.... kind of like using condoms while getting one to turn.. Not very direct or responsive. Plus I have had frequent issues with bridle management... and hate that you can't dry them the same way you can an inflatable.

My advice, is that if you are looking for a FUN lightwind kite... check out the latest Fat Lady... If you are racing... I am sure the Dyno or other similar will probably be the ticket.

KitePaddleSurf
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Locust Beach, Hunter Beach, Driftwood Beach, Sandy Point, Birch Bay, West Beach, Sandy Heights, Dogfish Beach, Glass Beach, Post Point.
Favorite Beaches: Locust Beach
Style: Big Air/Freestyle
Gear: Liquid Force, Slingshot, Ocean Rodeo
Brand Affiliation: www.kitepaddlesurf.com

Postby KitePaddleSurf » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:29 am

Wanted to share some insights as I have a little time on the 2013 Fat Lady, and have flown the Infinity, Zephyr, Turbine and 17m TS.

I just posted a full review of the 2013 Fat Lady in the main forum, but the biggest improvements I see are increased Low End and much better UP wind.

That being said, I didn't think the original Fat Lady had problems going up wind at my weight (100kg), but had smaller riders comment that they did have trouble going upwind when well powered. (could just be they were over powered at at the limit for the kite at their weight)

I was able to comfortably ride the new Fat Lady in 20-25mph yesterday. I think its upper wind stability has increased significantly.

Comparing the FL to the Zephyr, Turbine and 17m TS, I'll say the Fat Lady (even first generation) can fly circles around them. The Infinity is just as fast (possibly faster), but a smaller kite with less low end.

Why is the Fat Lady special? I don't know of another kite that is built with as much emphasis on reduced diameter leading edge and struts.... making for a super light kite per meter.

I have tried foil kites (lots of them), and haven't found one Iove because they are slower turning, and feel less active.... kind of like using condoms while getting one to turn.. Not very direct or responsive. Plus I have had frequent issues with bridle management... and hate that you can't dry them the same way you can an inflatable.

My advice, is that if you are looking for a FUN lightwind kite... check out the latest Fat Lady... If you are racing... I am sure the Dyno or other similar will probably be the ticket.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:12 pm

Well this may not be in the same category as the the above but I had a good two hour session on a 15m C4. I know right, you are thinking wtf! But at 75kg on a king mako it was going very early 10 knots and I had it up to about 16 knots and was not depower at all. This is the 2013 by the way. When someone suggested I try it I thought, nah a C kite as a low wind option, don't be silly!

But the low end on the new C4s have really increased. Really quick turning, I was throwing down all my hooked in freestyle/ freeride moves which I must say are dramatically reducing with age. But that being said the kite looped so well, knew where you were all the way through the loop. Had so much fun and I I would assume it would be okay in the surf as the C4 is. Really good booster to, not like my edges of course, but plenty good at those wind speeds.

More heavier or direct on the bar than last year, but the turning was really light.

Out of the box but something to consider for the right weight rider.

Waiting to see what now they speed up the zephyr and the increased bottom end they have been talking about before I make a decision. But right now its the C4 for me.

ac17
Rare Poster
Local Beach: East Coast of Australia
Style: All
Gear: 2020 Dice 8m/10m

Postby ac17 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:39 am

So - has anyone TRIED the Airush Lithium One 16m......?

I'm thinking of getting one for LW boosting on a 130 TT when it's not windy enough to be on my other Kites...
I'm 66kg.

Cheers

jplmain
Medium Poster
Local Beach: kailua
Style: freeride, surf
Gear: OR rise 15, RPM 10 8, griffin 13.5 argo, Kites
Mako King, 5-10" best board, 143-44 cabrina tt.

Postby jplmain » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:34 pm

I haven't tried the AR1 16 but, I have own the AR1 12. The One design is dangerous when sudden gust arise. It will jerk you to hell and back. I know I was put in the hospital for a couple of weeks for pinch spinal cord in my neck, rehab for months, couldn't work for 6 months. Took out my AR One that day got knock out, drowned face down and was saved by the nick of time by a friend named Sammy. Got rid of the kite and hope not to see another one again and, I haven't seen one since because I don't think they are popular any more.

KYLakeKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Kentucky Lake (Tennessee) Standing Rock Cove and Big Sandy
Favorite Beaches: Who needs a beach? Just give me some open water.
Style: LeeRoyyyyyy Jenkinnnnnnns!
Gear: All kites are cool !
Boards are like music. Everyone likes something different.

Postby KYLakeKiter » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:23 am

ac17 wrote:So - has anyone TRIED the Airush Lithium One 16m......?

I'm thinking of getting one for LW boosting on a 130 TT when it's not windy enough to be on my other Kites...
I'm 66kg.

Cheers
I would talk to the guys at Ocean Extreme Sports down in St. Augustine FL about the 16M Lithium One. I was there last December asking about a lightwind kite, and that was their recommendation. They had flown this kite a lot and would probably give you some good specifics. (I did not get to fly that kite)

I ended up getting an Infinity V2 and have been having a great time with it, but I am sure there are plenty of good lightwind kites out there.

Return to “Kitesurfing”