Forum for kitesurfers
UKSurf
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Coast of UK
Gear: Liquid Force impulse Foil, Slingshot SST Wave
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Epic Infinity & Bullshit Light Wind Claims

Postby UKSurf » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:48 pm

Oldnbroken are you directly linked to Epic kites? You seem to get extremely upset whenever anyone questions one of Dimitri's totally over the top claims for his brand.

Flight Time
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Venice Beach
Skyway Bridge North
Style: Freeride
Gear: 12 Epic Screamer
14 Epic Screamer
12 Liquid Force Havoc
16 Cabrinha Switchblade
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Flight Time » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:23 pm

SupaEZ wrote:I am not a doctor of Optometry....nothing illegal going on.....he is not my patient
He of "his free will" came up with some information when i first "simply asked" if he wore contacts
And i think it is relevant when eyeballing wind speed estimates especially the low ones IMO

Now if Dimitri want to share with you guys on KF.... then that is for him to do so

..........smilies are back on...

Now let's go back to this hot topic!
Now I got it! The word is "smarmy"!

Check it out, from Mirriam Webster dictionary:

SMARMY
1 : revealing or marked by a smug, ingratiating, or false earnestness <a tone of smarmy self-satisfaction — New Yorker>
2: of low sleazy taste or quality <smarmy eroticism>
— smarm·i·ly adverb
— smarm·i·ness noun

Examples of SMARMY
Yes, he's a smarmy know-it-all with the personality of a hall monitor, the kind of guy everyone hides from at a Christmas party. —Bill Simmons, ESPN, 2 Aug. 2004

Origin of SMARMY
-smarm- to gush, slobber
-First Known Use: 1924

The emoticons and gushy insincere attitude, and the feeling of slimyness you get from reading his posts. Goes hand in hand with passive-aggressive behavior.

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:57 pm

Let's give thanks to Dimitri's and Michel's mother who welcomed us into this world

Without us in it.... what would the world be like....especially the "small cyber" world of KF

To the few that do not see the big picture...just stand back a little..and get a better view

When you meet me "in person" you quickly see that i am supa pacifist :) :) :) :)

Now let's go back to kite performance in LW with 2 kiters with equal LW kite handling experience

If Dimitri disapproves he should speak up :D

................ :surf: :sun: :party1: :pump: ...........................................................................................

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:26 pm

UKSurf wrote:Oldnbroken are you directly linked to Epic kites? You seem to get extremely upset whenever anyone questions one of Dimitri's totally over the top claims for his brand.
I believe he owns a 13 or 14 from Epic
He does not need any larger kite or own a specialized LW kite Infinity V2
Light wind is so boring he says
But he is on this LW BS thread defending the professional kiter and bashing the regular kiter
I wonder if he ever met Dimitri in person ...got to know him personally and had fun kiting with him ?

I am sure he will analyse ever word i typed and respond really soon...using both "paws"

....................................... :cheers: :jump: :dance: :mosh: :rollgrin: .......................................................

frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: -Bayshore, at the end sea st. on saint John's west side, bay of fundy.
-Saints rest beach, at the end of sandy point road, irving nature park, saint john, west side.
Gear: Kites: 12m LF Mig, 9m LF Mig, 5m SS Fuel
Boards: LF proof 151cm, Real Wind 144cm, home made light wind board 160 x 50

Postby frankm1960 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:57 pm

UKSurf wrote:Oldnbroken are you directly linked to Epic kites? You seem to get extremely upset whenever anyone questions one of Dimitri's totally over the top claims for his brand.
I've been following this thread the whole time and there is nothing in this thread that suggests or proves the light wind claims made by epic to be false :) IMO.

I've seen videos and heard comments from folks that TRIED the kite which suggest they are more true than not true.

The demo in Cocoa beach Florida was the perfect opportunity to rebut any claims made by epic but it clearly didn't resolve anything... in fact it just resulted in more LW claims :lol: which is a shame... conditions were perfect.

So I'm not sure where you're getting the "over the top" claims from (yet) unless you have tried the kite yourself?

If you have let us know what your findings are.

For a lot of us 9 - 5ers LW kiting is the way to go... otherwise you never get out... so it matters ... in way :)

UKSurf
Very Frequent Poster

Postby UKSurf » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:21 pm

frankm1960 wrote:I've seen videos and heard comments from folks that TRIED the kite which suggest they are more true than not true.
I would say quite the opposite, I have seen nothing remarkable about them at all. If anything in the short clip I saw it looked like Dimitri was having problems going upwind compared to SuperEZ. No other manufacturer comes onto forums and starts bragging about how great their kites are, and there is a reason for it - it makes your brand look silly especially if you cant back it up. I do not think there is anything exceptional about Epic kites, and if I were to buy a kite from a smaller brand I would do it from one of those that offer it at a more competitive price than the large players.

frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: -Bayshore, at the end sea st. on saint John's west side, bay of fundy.
-Saints rest beach, at the end of sandy point road, irving nature park, saint john, west side.
Gear: Kites: 12m LF Mig, 9m LF Mig, 5m SS Fuel
Boards: LF proof 151cm, Real Wind 144cm, home made light wind board 160 x 50

Postby frankm1960 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:58 pm

UKSurf wrote: If anything in the short clip I saw it looked like Dimitri was having problems going upwind compared to SuperEZ.
I hear ya... I saw that too. The thing is Dimitry is heavier, on shorter lines, smaller kite, smaller board... which is why I was saying nothing was resolved during that demo. The fact is Dimity was almost able to kite... we just are not sure of the wind speed at that time in the video... that would have been nice to see... then we would have been more sure of the absolute bottom end of the V3 with a TT with an "average" size rider. I was hoping for something more definitive to come out of that demo. To not have even tried the kite ON WATER is remarkable... first thing I would've done :lol: The sad thing is Dimitry when out of his way to get up to Cocoa beach.

Oh well... maybe next time.

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:12 pm

UKSurf wrote:You seem to get extremely upset whenever anyone questions one of Dimitri's claims..Are you directly linked to Epic kites?
Not sure your characterization is extremely accurate, I do answer to direct attacks, and I do get fed up with twenty page campaigns to tear something down just for personal attention.
I own three Epic kites, so my status is the same as yours with Switch, with the exception that Epic does not call all of their customers, team riders. I don't have the talent or youth to be a team rider for any company, and unlike SupaEZ, I admit that I am just an average kiter, my ego is well in check.
I bought Epic kites after demoing three Epic kites head to head against my Blade kites (and I liked my Blades a lot).
I have demoed all the Epic kite models because they make it easy and cheap to demo kite gear.
Have dealt directly with Epic (instead of dealers) and their customer service has been exceptional, they treat you like family, so I consider them friends, and I look out for my friends.

UKSurf
Very Frequent Poster

Postby UKSurf » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:20 pm

frankm1960 wrote: I hear ya... I saw that too. The thing is Dimitry is heavier, on shorter lines, smaller kite, smaller board... which is why I was saying nothing was resolved during that demo.
If half of the claims being made for the Infinity V3 and Oxygen lightwind board are true he should have atleast been able to perform as well as SuperEz - who is not a professional kitesurfer it should be added (although he seems to think quite highly of his own light wind kiting abilities :lol: ). I wouldnt be surprised if the Infinity V3 and Oxygen wouldnt getting going and staying upwind any sooner than I would on my 14m and Airush Sector 60 (and I am 210lbs) - which goes upwind like crazy in 7/8 knots average.

UKSurf
Very Frequent Poster

Postby UKSurf » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:47 pm

Oldnbroken wrote:I own three Epic kites, so my status is the same as yours with Switch, with the exception that Epic does not call all of their customers, team riders. I don't have the talent or youth to be a team rider for any company, and unlike SupaEZ, I admit that I am just an average kiter, my ego is well in check.
I own one Switch kite which I think is good - like just about every other kite on the market is good. The design tradeoffs they have made may or may not suit your style of riding. The only truely exceptional thing about it is the price and distribution method. If the people from Switch started coming on here bragging about how their kites are the holy grail of kitesurfing and they got a negative reaction I would think they had got what they asked for.

Return to “Kitesurfing”