Brazil in June/July

Forum for kitesurfers
Jbrook
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Brazil in June/July

Postby Jbrook » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:51 pm

Dont tell them our secrets Caesar let them believe the mags. Still waiting for my answer from the guy, how much time he spends or has spent in Brasil. Another 2 week local that knows it all?? :rollgrin:

Caesar
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Palm Cove, Port Douglas, Yorkeys Knob
Gear: Not telling unless I'm getting paid.
Brand Affiliation: Nothing...

Postby Caesar » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:33 pm

Jbrook wrote:Dont tell them our secrets Caesar let them believe the mags. Still waiting for my answer from the guy, how much time he spends or has spent in Brasil. Another 2 week local that knows it all?? :rollgrin:
:wink:

Caesar
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Caesar » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:52 am

littletomp wrote:Hi
Can anybody advise me on what sort of strength wind I can expect in Brazil (Fortaleza / Jericoacoara area) at the end of June and beginning of July. I've been told it's the start of the windy season by a travel rep, but would like to get some unbiased first hand advice from somebody who has been there at that time. I'm a heavy guy, 115kg/18st so I need pretty strong wind (minimum18knts)
Also can anyone recommend any luxury 5 star hotels in that area to keep the non kiting wife happy?
Many thanks
Since nobody gave you any suggestions, here is one: http://www.cumbuco-oceanview.com
In-house masseuse, several swimming pools, BBQ area, close to center, right on the beach, walk out of your apartment, pump up your kite, launch and walk another 10m into the water.

Cheers
Caesar 8)

average rider
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Omaezaki, Chiba
Favorite Beaches: The windy ones with clean waves and no people
Style: waves
Gear: RRD
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby average rider » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:16 am

Just to give a totally unbiased reply.
The wind can be good for most of the year along there, but it depends on the rain. Last year was a super dry season so for kiting it was amazing literally all year, not so good for animals and plants, this is not always the case. From August - end of November you can pretty much count the number of unkiteable days on one hand. July is not as guaranteed and if you went for a weekend in beginning of July you might get skunked. However for a two week or more trip you should be good along there. In terms of crowds June/July will be a nice time to go, August and new year are the busy times. If you want more for the girlfriend you should head to Jericoacoara, lots of fancy accomodation, restaurants and shops to spend your money in.
Wind in June/July will be marginaly windier in Cumbuco as they say and as the year progresses it gets windier in Jeri.
If you have the time and inclination book a couple of different places along the coast and figure out what works for you.

Caesar
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Caesar » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:39 am

average rider wrote:If you want more for the girlfriend you should head to Jericoacoara, lots of fancy accomodation, restaurants and shops to spend your money in.
2 fancy hotels in Jeri. Which others would you call fancy?
Regarding shops- there are around 30 small ones in Jeri. The wife will be gone through them in 2 hours.
Then better stay near Fortaleza (eg. Cumbuco) and enjoy thousands of shops there. Buses drive to Fortaleza every half an hour. There are lot's of others things to see too ( eg. http://www.beachpark.com.br/site/en/home/home.asp ).

Cheers
Caesar :wink:

average rider
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Omaezaki, Chiba
Favorite Beaches: The windy ones with clean waves and no people
Style: waves

Postby average rider » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:16 am

There are quite a few high end options in Jericoacoara, including the two hotels you mentioned, boutique pousadas and luxury rental houses.
But as he is only looking for one place to stay I think that covers it.
Regarding shops, you are correct. They are small boutique beachstyle shops, which are fun to brouse not department stores. I do not think the intention is to go to the beaches of Brazil for it's shopping, I think the point is to make sure the wife is happy on the beach while he is in the water. This is where Jericoacoara with it's nice bay, cute shops, nice bars and restaurants, beautiful dune and small surf break works.

uncle sammy
Medium Poster

Postby uncle sammy » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:11 am

When I go on a kiting vacation I look for a secluded place, Jeri was once a secluded place and now it's too touristic.
In 5-10 years Jeri will look like Combuco and that's sad.

littletomp
Rare Poster

Postby littletomp » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:17 pm

Thank you for all the advice. I've found a couple of places in Jeri which are exactly what I was looking for. If I were to go for the last 2 weeks in June would I be likely to have good wind? I realise no one can give me a definite answer but at a guess how many days would I get with wind above 18knots?
many thanks

Return to “Kitesurfing”