damienmorton
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

why a cummerbund?

Postby damienmorton » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:38 pm

Every harness has a cummerbund, right?

The cummerbund is easy to do up, and holds the harness in place while you connect and tighten any clips or straps or buckles to the bar.

Does the cummerbund have any other purpose?

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Re: why a cummerbund?

Postby TheJoe » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:37 pm

Don't think so. I don't even use mine on my mystic shadow. It is still tucked away like when I first bought it.

Might add some protection for those who don't wear a rash guard or don't use a bar pad.

Caesar
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Palm Cove, Port Douglas, Yorkeys Knob
Gear: Not telling unless I'm getting paid.
Brand Affiliation: Nothing...

Postby Caesar » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:13 am

damienmorton wrote:Every harness has a cummerbund, right?

The cummerbund is easy to do up, and holds the harness in place while you connect and tighten any clips or straps or buckles to the bar.

Yes!
This is what it does to men (keeps your guts tight):

And this is what it does to women (acting as a push-up bra):

Sorry to both of you but I could not resist... :)

Cheers
Caesar 8)

damienmorton
Rare Poster

Postby damienmorton » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:23 am

Caesar wrote:
damienmorton wrote:Every harness has a cummerbund, right?

And this is what it does to women (acting as a push-up bra):

That's my friend Hege here in Cabarete! LOL

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:19 am

The cummerbund makes for a smooth surface over your stomach so the harness is in contact all the way round. I am guessing your gut could get caught between the edge of the harness and the bar pad without it.

My Cabrinha harnesses have a pair of elastic "power belts" that stretch over the cummerbund. In support terms they don't do anything useful but they do cover the hook velcro on the cummerbund and stop it eating out the back of the bar pad.

kazama-fury
Medium Poster

Postby kazama-fury » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:18 pm

A cummerbund is designed to increase intra-abdominal pressure, which stabilizes your entire midsection I think. A bit like a weightlifting belt.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:24 pm

kazama-fury wrote:A cummerbund is designed to increase intra-abdominal pressure, which stabilizes your entire midsection I think. A bit like a weightlifting belt.
Weightlifting belts are bad for you unless you are actually competing. When lifting weights you want your abs to develop too! The belt tends to weaken your abs because it allows the belt to take much of the load. Lifting without a belt develops great abs.

All I know about cummerbunds is that some of those old harnesses would poke the hell out of you the spreader bar would jab you in the ribs and the cummberbund was your only chance at not gettting speared.

today the harnesses are so much more comfortable so cummerbunds are about as useful as spats and monogrammed handkerchiefs

kazama-fury
Medium Poster

Postby kazama-fury » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:03 am

edt wrote:
kazama-fury wrote:A cummerbund is designed to increase intra-abdominal pressure, which stabilizes your entire midsection I think. A bit like a weightlifting belt.
Weightlifting belts are bad for you unless you are actually competing. When lifting weights you want your abs to develop too! The belt tends to weaken your abs because it allows the belt to take much of the load. Lifting without a belt develops great abs.
As a physical therapist I am well aware of the consequences and risks of using a weightlifting belt. It's good to hear that the myths about these are dissapearing.

I do still think there is a good reason why kitesurfing harnesses have them though.. The forces projected on your spine while jumping, doing kiteloops etc shouldn't underestimated and are on another level then those while casually lifting weights.

(its hard for me to explain the difference of force because of the language barrier)

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:11 pm

kazama-fury wrote:
edt wrote:
As a physical therapist I am well aware of the consequences and risks of using a weightlifting belt. It's good to hear that the myths about these are dissapearing.

I do still think there is a good reason why kitesurfing harnesses have them though.. The forces projected on your spine while jumping, doing kiteloops etc shouldn't underestimated and are on another level then those while casually lifting weights.

(its hard for me to explain the difference of force because of the language barrier)
A harness does not and will never act as a weight lifting belt. Don't ever think of it as one because it is not. If you have ever worn one properly you would know just how tight and uncomfortable they are. You would most likely not even be able to make it to the water without passing out from lack of oxygen.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:27 pm

just kite without a cummerbund you'll see. On a modern harness makes no difference. On a harness from 2003 it will poke your ribs so hard you won't be able to move for days. It's a relic.

Return to “Kitesurfing”