wakestyle or regular kiteboard?

Forum for kitesurfers
dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A
Has thanked: 0

Re: wakestyle or regular kiteboard?

Postby dyyylan » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:14 pm

Eric23 wrote:I prefer boards without increased rocker - pleasant to ride and perfect planning even in light wind. I have seen quite often that many riders with big rocker boards sitting on the shore or torturing themselves on water in a low or gusty wind while I and my friends enjoying our time on water easily riding upwind. If in your beach wind is not strong better choose kiteboard with normal rocker. With them also most of tricks can be done including unhook. On net there is plenty of videos guys riding on normal rocker kiteboards. Don't understand why so many recommending big rocker boards yet don't remember to tell that they are not riding on light wind and aprox 30% windy days will be lost or you need kite for size larger than others.
I agree with you, that's why I have two boards - I have a flat freestyle board and a rockered wakestyle board. Unfortunately the wind here is very light most of the time so I'm on the flat board most of the time, but it's much more fun to ride a board with rocker, makes all your tricks so much less harsh on your kness and of course riding bindings makes a huge difference too :)

RonB
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby RonB » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:23 pm

thanks to everyone for advices. but now i'm even more confused as before. then i need 2 boards - wakestyle and also regular?

Eric23
Rare Poster

Postby Eric23 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:00 pm

It depends what you want from board. No board is perfect for everything. You need to understand how much wakestyle you need. But since you prefer pads over boots I would recommend the same as Zik46 - go for aboards X-series instead of W. Therefore you will get some wakestyle yet still be able to go upwind.

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:54 pm

Eric23 wrote:It depends what you want from board. No board is perfect for everything. You need to understand how much wakestyle you need. But since you prefer pads over boots I would recommend the same as Zik46 - go for aboards X-series instead of W. Therefore you will get some wakestyle yet still be able to go upwind.
Yeah, they are some good crossover boards. This is why I ride the LF influence, it's "wakestyle enough" and rides amazing with boots, but it feels great with straps too.

The thing with wakestyle boards with boots is you should buy a larger size for better planing/upwind and more pop, so it's going to feel like a boat with straps on it.

If you just want a board with rocker for riding straps then something like the influence, or aboards x-series would be good rather than a "pure" wakestyle board that will be more difficult to get upwind on

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:08 pm

just my humble opinion, but u should only ride wakestyle boards w boots if you are doing tricks like slim chance blind judge. Boots give you a more connected feel let you land hotter, but the drawback is when you catch an edge WAPPOW you get smashed. You dont actually need boots to do wakestyle tricks, hadlow won five championships in a row in straps.

Zimo
Rare Poster

Postby Zimo » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:37 pm

If you choose W-series you definitely can ride with straps as well. I self have W-series and basically use it with boots only on cable. Those Aboards straps are very comfortable and I don't feel that they would made cons for wakestyle riding.

RonB
Rare Poster

Postby RonB » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:26 pm

thanks again for all opinions. have some clarity about board and straps/boots. but now have another question - what about fins?
board which i tried had small fins but i have seen that other riders use regular size fins also for wakestyle boards and in the same time many ride without fins at all. which size fins would be most optimal?

jedi1
Frequent Poster

Postby jedi1 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:56 pm

RonB wrote:thanks again for all opinions. have some clarity about board and straps/boots. but now have another question - what about fins?
board which i tried had small fins but i have seen that other riders use regular size fins also for wakestyle boards and in the same time many ride without fins at all. which size fins would be most optimal?
There is only one answer to this. The size you like. Fins help a bit in choppy water and when seriously powered, but for normal riding I prefer no fins. It is easier to land with smaller fins, as you can correct your stance instead of wiping out, but this comes at a cost of making it a bit harder to dig an edge at high speeds.

pjhardie
Rare Poster
Local Beach: The Slick, Cape Hatteras, NC.
Style: Waves
Brand Affiliation: REAL Watersports Inc. - Rider and Employee.

Postby pjhardie » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:05 pm

dyyylan wrote:
Eric23 wrote:It depends what you want from board. No board is perfect for everything. You need to understand how much wakestyle you need. But since you prefer pads over boots I would recommend the same as Zik46 - go for aboards X-series instead of W. Therefore you will get some wakestyle yet still be able to go upwind.
Yeah, they are some good crossover boards. This is why I ride the LF influence, it's "wakestyle enough" and rides amazing with boots, but it feels great with straps too.

The thing with wakestyle boards with boots is you should buy a larger size for better planing/upwind and more pop, so it's going to feel like a boat with straps on it.

If you just want a board with rocker for riding straps then something like the influence, or aboards x-series would be good rather than a "pure" wakestyle board that will be more difficult to get upwind on
Great advice dyyylan - you definitely can have one board that will do a little bit of everything like the influence.

If you are considering two boards - rather than getting a "wakestyle board and a regular twintip - I would choose an all around twintip with medium rocker and medium flex (that you can ride with straps or boots as you wish) and then get yourself a big barn door or wide surfboard for the lighter wind days. That way you are covered for all conditions!

http://www.realwatersports.com/kiteboarding

bango
Rare Poster

Postby bango » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:36 pm

I vote for regular Twintip.

Return to “Kitesurfing”