Forum for kitesurfers
windsuks
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf/old school
Gear: Airush/North/Ozone/RRD
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Epic Infinity & Bullshit Light Wind Claims

Postby windsuks » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:45 am

Ha this is just going around and around again and again and again!
I have posted previously to state that I was one of those present at that Light wind SUP showing, along with a few others that I hadn't met before, we were all pretty much gobsmacked, just the fact the kite went up, stayed up and then dragged Dimitri (admittedly slowly) on the SUP.

Dimitri offered me a go when he got back to the shore, I refused as I knew I'd prob just end up wet anyway, I have been kiting since 1999 but knew my skills would be tested to the max and beyond in such light winds.

I don't really give a monkey's about what excuses people give for the reasons the wind was supposedly more than was measured on the top of the building in hand held meters etc....all I knew and everyone else who was present that we witnessed something special...just the fact the kite was remaining in the sky in such light winds, you could not even feel any breeze on the water level...barely zero, and that is where most people measure it surely.

Anyway, while all this goes on here I see so many (inc.. me) using and loving the Infinity and providing them with the buzz when otherwise they would have wasted trip to the beach.
ps I also have no problem going upwind with the Infinity :thumb:

.....and all the time PMU and SupaEgo keep posting here, the more sad they appear and the more Epic Infinity's are sold.....nice work guys!

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm
Has thanked: 0

Postby SupaEZ » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:43 pm

Dimitri M wrote: But also not to forget Mr SupaEZ is a way better kiter.
That is why on that famous miracle walk on water 2-4kn SUP day....
...i would not have backed off like you Windsuks and just watched with my mouth gaping

Sorry if your confidence was weak that day and you feared to challenge your boss and idol

To me he is just a younger man with a tiny bit bigger ego than i have and i like him very much...
...as a person...he is so funny...we did have a great fun time testing our LW limits and quick wits !!

If his kite "could fly that day"(regardless of wind speed claimed) and pull him on a SUP
My kite 19m2 with me as pilot would have done just as good on an SUP...i fear no one in LW

How do i know? We did side by side in 4kn with both kites it was the same...steady overhead both
...and in 3kn they both backed down equally with almost no more pull on main lines

So the MYTH is BUSTED.......

Like Tautologies said...if a kiter can go on an SUP in ASSUMED 2-4kn max (3kn avg.)..........
....also Pros on raceboards could and Pros on foilboards could DO THE SAME

KITEFORUM would be flooded with such videos if it was possible..so you see it is NOT

On that miracle day the "wind in his kite" never went below 4kn and was 5kn without a doubt

Still impressive...but "come on" many of us on KF who are great in LW could have done the same

BigPaul
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Manchester
Style: Free ride
Gear: North
Been thanked: 0

Postby BigPaul » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:01 pm

Supa you make a lot of assuptions and say them as fact.

There are no 2 - 4 knot videos flooding the net, because they would be boring.

Bille - why did you edit your post? it was better the first time I read it with far more detail on the people behind the masks.

I'm truly bored of this thread now but for some reason find myself drawn to it, which is incredibly annoying.

jrfiol
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cayo Enrique, La Parguera; Montones Beach, Isabela; Dorado Beach, Dorado.
Favorite Beaches: Not yet.
Style: waverider, freestyle
Gear: Slingshot RPM 10, Darko 135. I also have a Liquid Force Havoc 12 and Rally 14M.

Postby jrfiol » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:59 pm

As a spectator to the thread, I declare the following:

No way SupaEZ kites better than Dimitri, not from the videos I've seen from SupaEZ and from have actually kited with D.

321's video is not satisfactory.

No winner, hope you guys made friends.

As far as this thread goes, I will not follow it anymore. I propose a new thread, kiting in real winds with such and whichever kite...

Thank you both for the entertainment!

Regards,

Verve Rider
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Cayucos, The PIt, Sandyport, Mahaulepu
Style: Wave
Gear: North

Postby Verve Rider » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:01 pm

I know it is hard to imagine, or believe, but I was there that day with my son Conley. We both kite and had just met Dimitri that day in OBX. If I was not there and had seen it myself, I probably would not have believed it. I checked Arizona Lou's anemometer on his van while the kite was up in the air and it only showed 3-4 knots. This anemometer is mounted on a 12' pole on top of his van. There was almost no perceptible wind at all. Dimitri had a little trouble at first with the balance of the kite and the SUP, but in about 1 or 2 minutes, he had it figured out and kited for at least 20 minutes all the time videoing and talking to his go pro in his hand. I own an Infinity V2 and would not have even thought of trying it that day, but Dimitri knows his kites and the limitations of his prototype and also himself and was able to kite that day. It did not look that much fun, but the fact remains he did kite and tack and stay upwind on the SUP. I only write this because I was amazed and impressed with the kite and Dimitri's ability, and am willing to give the guy credit for something everybody is saying he could not do. Seeing is believing.

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:46 pm

kitewise wrote:[

I'm not very good at guessing wind velocity, I just know when and when I cannot get going.

Thanks,
Phil
For someone who has kited since 2000..is a kiteboard instructor and affiliated with Epic.......
....you have difficulty guessing LW within half a knot ?

Appears that when someone is flying the V2 or V3 it becomes very difficult to know the wind speed
Why is that?
Do riders enter an hypnotic spell ....does the brain automatically "lowball" the true wind speed

Anyone with ULW experience can beat a windmeter 12ft high or 40 ft high...
....at judging/estimating the true wind speed the kite is flying into..by the tension on front lines

frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: -Bayshore, at the end sea st. on saint John's west side, bay of fundy.
-Saints rest beach, at the end of sandy point road, irving nature park, saint john, west side.
Gear: Kites: 12m LF Mig, 9m LF Mig, 5m SS Fuel
Boards: LF proof 151cm, Real Wind 144cm, home made light wind board 160 x 50

Postby frankm1960 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:52 pm

SupaEZ wrote: That is why on that famous miracle walk on water 2-4kn SUP day....
...i would not have backed off like you Windsuks and just watched with my mouth gaping
Supa, didn't you back off at the V3 cocoa beach demo? You backed off trying the V3 on the water. I understand you flew the V3 on the beach a little but I think we were all hoping (at least I was) for a quality light wind review of the V3 on the water using a TT from someone who has nothing to lose by telling it like it is.

Laughinman provided us with a review based on actual usage so why don't you take the V3 out for a run on the water and get back to us. Take mr pump with ya... Dimitri has offered to send one of you a V3 to demo I believe.

Am I the only one disappointed by results of the cocoa beach demo?

windsuks
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf/old school
Gear: Airush/North/Ozone/RRD

Postby windsuks » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:49 pm

SupaEZ wrote:
Dimitri M wrote: But also not to forget Mr SupaEZ is a way better kiter.
That is why on that famous miracle walk on water 2-4kn SUP day....

Sorry if your confidence was weak that day and you feared to challenge your boss and idol

To me he is just a younger man with a tiny bit bigger ego than i have and i like him very much...
...as a person...he is so funny...we did have a great fun time testing our LW limits and quick wits !!
haha, I don't have idols or ever have!
However I do respect and admire many people whether athletes, business or political etc Dimitri is one of these people who I now also consider as a valued friend, not just a business associate like so many of our other suppliers.
I certainly don't feel a need to challege Dimitri in any way and he is hardly "my boss" ?
You SupaEgo have some very serious issues.

ps It yet another 7m day here today (even if it was only 2 degrees) :D

gonewiththewind
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gonewiththewind » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:05 am

O H M Y G O D !!!!!!!

SupaEZ and Tautologies... SHUT THE F*** UP!!!!

I'VE BEEN TRYING TO DROWN OUT THE BULLSHIT EVERY TIME I OPEN UP THIS THREAD, BUT YOU GUYS ARE UNREAL!!!

SUPA EZ - The Patron Saint of Stubbornness

WHO GIVES A FLYING F*** WHETHER IT WAS 1 KNOT OR 4.3 KNOTS?!?!

THERE IS NO OTHER VIDEO OF A KITE FLYING AND PULLING A KITER ON ANY BOARD ANYWHERE IN SUCH LOW WIND SPEEDS EVER!!!

Anybody with any experience reading wind on the water knows that the windspeed is low as shit in that video. And anybody that has actually been to that spot knows that it isn't some secret invisible wind blowing up high. You can tell from the direction he is kiting. It's F***ING incredible, and you know it. Boring as shit, but F***ING incredible!!!

Quit your job, get a new girlfriend, sell your car, trade in your dog - do whatever it takes to put yourself in a better place in life. Because you're obviously miserable with WAY too much time to spend trying to tear down something that is IRREFUTABLE.

OR - post a similar video using your kite of choice and board. Go ahead and use whatever secret spot you think can hide the 8 knot winds that you think are really blowing up high in that video. Make sure we can see how far away the coastline is, like in Dimitri's video. You're talking the Outer Banks of NC - one of the most visited kite spots in the world. NOBODY else is kiting in that video because they CAN'T.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:26 am

on the good side . . . I believe this is a forum record, nearly a thousand posts and still on topic

Return to “Kitesurfing”