Forum for kitesurfers
JKicker
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

What kites to try - RRD, Ozone, Cabrinha, Ocean Rodeo, Epic

Postby JKicker » Fri May 24, 2013 9:03 pm

I'm going to be testing some new kites this weekend- will be buying a new quiver sometime this season. I'll have access to RRD, Ozone, Cabrinha, Ocean Rodeo, and Epic's lineups.

Have been flying a quiver of 2007 Cabrinha Omegas (7m, 9m, 12m)for the last 6 years in the 1:1 configuration (like a switchblade 2). They have been great, solid kites to progress on for my wife and I (120 lbs and 150 lbs), and we are now jumping and starting to learn backloops etc (veteran intermediate riders). We'll be keeping the current cab quiver and want to get something substantially different and unique. At some point we'll be venturing into the waves, but will be primarily freeriding in the flats.

Obviously I won't be able to try out every kite in all of those lineups, but I'd like to get a taste of some of the most unique kinds of kites that have been developed in the last 6 years. What stand-out models from each of those brands would you all recommend to experience the full gamut of the different styles of kites available these days? Last time I was paying attention there were deltas and hybrids, etc, but it doesn't seem like anyone is really differentiating kites in that manner anymore, so I'm just trying to get my bearings of where to start.

Appreciate any insight or suggestions! :bye:

whabbits
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Vancouver Island, BC
Favorite Beaches: Comox, BC
Nitinaht Lake. BC
Port Renfrew, BC
Style: learning anything
Gear: LOL, kiting too expensive now.
Brand Affiliation: None, but I used to work at Ocean Rodeo.

Re: What kites to try - RRD, Ozone, Cabrinha, Ocean Rodeo, E

Postby whabbits » Fri May 24, 2013 9:29 pm

Of the brands that you have listed I have tried the Obsession from RRD as well as the Prodigy and Razor from Ocean Rodeo. All three of these kites would be worth trying IMO. I cannot speak to the others but all those brands listed make a reputable kite.

If you want a more agreesive kite, try the Razor or the Obsession, whereas if you want a rock solid and predictable kite, try out the Prodigy.

I'm personally on a quiver of the Prodigy kites because I like how they jump and float in the air. From there, the kite is so stable and predictable, I can concentrate more on my board placement.

PVITfrumBYRAM
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, NC
Style: Instruction

Postby PVITfrumBYRAM » Fri May 24, 2013 9:49 pm

You should be able to try a multitude of kite sizes and models in those brand if you go to KHK. Talk to the instructors down in Rodanthe. Each of them are riding a specific brand in order to become the most informed on the characteristics of the kite as opposed to all fly mostly the "school kite" brand and trying to sell those.

Personally I fly RRD Obsessions, have a Cabrinha and Epic in my quiver but rarely use them now.
Do you kite at Jockey's Ridge much?

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Fri May 24, 2013 10:07 pm

Here are the ones I would try:

Ozone Catalyst very good all around everything, easy.
Epic Renegade very good all around everything, easy.
I've heard the Prodigy is the best all around kite Ocean Rodeo has ever made.
RRD Vision all around easy delta.

RRD Obsession great freeride and booooooost.
Epic Screamer great freeride and booooooost.

Ozone C4 great if you are leaning that way and want to try an easy C kite.

JKicker
Medium Poster

Postby JKicker » Fri May 24, 2013 10:18 pm

PVIT - Yes we're going to the demo days this weekend at KHK...good to know that their instructors are all flying different brands...seems like a good idea. Yeah we usually kite at Jockey's or Windmill Point...been going to to Windmill area lately to avoid the parking problems after work at Jockey's.

Thanks for the feedback so far guys. Oldnbroken I appreciate the breakdown...that's really helpful. I've read that the Ozone Edge could sort of be lumped in with the screamer as a big boosty kite as well...looks like I've got my work cut out for me :thumb:

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Fri May 24, 2013 10:52 pm

JKicker wrote:Thanks for the feedback so far guys. Oldnbroken I appreciate the breakdown...that's really helpful. I've read that the Ozone Edge could sort of be lumped in with the screamer as a big boosty kite as well...looks like I've got my work cut out for me :thumb:
I've got a pal with Edge kites and they are very good kites, but more high aspect and racey style than the Screamer and Obsession, which I think are good for more variety of styles.
None of that three have a reputation as great surf kites though.
I think the Screamers and Obsessions turn faster and are better for busting tricks than an Edge.
Like everything else, it depends on what you want next, all around or something more specific.
A couple of my pals here really love their C4 kites, and they are not hardcore wake kids, but the range is a little less than with a normal sle/delta/bow shape.
If somebody gave me some cash to blow on a kite from your list, I would probably buy an Obsession, C4 or Catalyst, or an Evo (that is not on your demo list)
....have not owned any of those and would enjoy one of each to try!

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Fri May 24, 2013 11:19 pm

wow. you have used same quiver of kites for 6 years ! that must be record!

I've bought and used a lot of kites since 2002. way too many.
my recommendation is to stay away for kite models that are in their first year. they are 'beta' releases. the following years will be improved, or if kite flops, it will be discontinued.

and kites of same brand, model, year but different sizes can be like kites from different planets. so don't think that a great 12 means the 14 or 8 size will be just as good....things have gotten better, but note that first year of model increases risk that all sizes are not perfected.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sat May 25, 2013 2:57 am

TomW wrote:wow. you have used same quiver of kites for 6 years ! that must be record!

I've bought and used a lot of kites since 2002. way too many.
my recommendation is to stay away for kite models that are in their first year. they are 'beta' releases. the following years will be improved, or if kite flops, it will be discontinued.

and kites of same brand, model, year but different sizes can be like kites from different planets. so don't think that a great 12 means the 14 or 8 size will be just as good....things have gotten better, but note that first year of model increases risk that all sizes are not perfected.

there is no such thing as too many :thumb: :thumb:

OP you are in for a good time. The new kites have gone through so many nice refinements, I think you will be happy :-)

PVITfrumBYRAM
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, NC
Style: Instruction

Postby PVITfrumBYRAM » Sat May 25, 2013 2:41 pm

I'm probably going to go to windmill point more depending on how the wind lines up. Jockey's has been out of control some days. If you see a long haired hippy looking cat with Obsessions, say hi I'll let you check out my 13.5 or 10.5. There's almost never been any wind on days KHK promotes demos or events. Nature just has not agreed.

Paolo

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sat May 25, 2013 2:45 pm

Haven't tried the OR Razors - want to - but the Flite 17 I have is great. Fast for a big kite, great range, pulls well in light wind, and has a lot of hang time... more than my Crossbows I think.

Short answer - try EVERYTHING you can :)

Return to “Kitesurfing”