Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: Epic Kites and Arise and Hyperflex
Brand Affiliation: Epic Kites and Arise
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: What kites to try - RRD, Ozone, Cabrinha, Ocean Rodeo, E

Postby Geronimo79 » Sat May 25, 2013 6:09 pm

Well if you go to Kitty Hawk this weekend there are multiple brands out there to test.

JKicker
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby JKicker » Sun May 26, 2013 4:54 pm

Flew the Ozone Edge, Catalyst, and RRD Obsession yesterday and posted my reviews here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2380550

Thanks!

ElliotDrury
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Botany Bay, NSW, Australia
Taiba, Ceara, Brazil
Oliphant, Ontario, Canada
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Style: Wakestyle
Gear: Ozone C4
Axis Bootleg
Brand Affiliation: Ozone
Axis

Postby ElliotDrury » Mon May 27, 2013 2:56 am

Great to hear that you liked the Catalyst. It's definitely a versatile kite and sounds like it compliments your riding style quite well. The C4 is a different kite.. much more aggressive but does still lend itself to freeriding nicely. It will have more power through the turn and have that wakestyle feel that you felt lacking slightly on the Cat. I ride the C4 primarily but have ridden the Cat on the C4 bar and really enjoyed it for boot riding. The nice thing about the Cat is that it is very confidence inspiring - it works well for freeriding, freestyle, waves.. really anything you throw at it. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Cheers,
E

JKicker
Medium Poster

Postby JKicker » Mon May 27, 2013 4:17 pm

Thanks for the info Elliot. More than likely the cat would be the right choice for us in the Ozone lineup. I'm intrigued by the idea of doing the 13m Edge for a lightwind kite just for the float and jumps and maybe considering the 10m C4 or the 10 M Cat for the nice steady medium winds we get. With the consistent winds here, it might be fun to have something a little more reactive and punchy...not sure.

Would definitely do a 6m Cat for our small kite though, give how nicely behaved it is in the top end of its range.

Thanks

ElliotDrury
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Botany Bay, NSW, Australia
Taiba, Ceara, Brazil
Oliphant, Ontario, Canada
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Style: Wakestyle
Gear: Ozone C4
Axis Bootleg
Brand Affiliation: Ozone
Axis

Postby ElliotDrury » Tue May 28, 2013 3:06 am

I'm in Australia at the moment, and a lot of guys are finding that the Edge is a great light wind kite. I ride the Zephyr for light stuff, as it unhooks quite well, and I can still do all of my passes in sub 15 knots. But for boosting, transitions, freeriding, and racing, a lot of people are loving the Edge! One rider I talked to (around 70 kg) actually likes the 11 Edge as much as the Zephyr for under 15 knots. The Edge 13 or 15 could be an awesome light wind kite for you if you're looking for a floaty booster. I really love that you can mix kites in the Ozone line up and not feel uncomfortable. Like you said a 10m C4 with a 6 Cat and a larger Edge could be a great mix, and tons of fun to switch up your riding styles, and have a kite suited to each wind condition!

Cheers,
E

kuczwas
Medium Poster

Postby kuczwas » Tue May 28, 2013 3:36 am

Hey JKicker,
If you are in OBX go to Radikal Kiteboarding and try both T5 and Fifty/50 from Nobile.
This years T5 flies so well... as well as last years - and that was an outstanding kite.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Wed May 29, 2013 1:34 pm

Yeh I'm 75kg, 165lbs? Use the zephyr from 9 to 20, the 10m edge ( yes there is a 10m and the sweetest size for me, turning speed is perfect) for 17 to 25 and an 8m cat for 23 to 30. I'm a big fan of the edge kite, the smoothness and refinement. The smaller cat is a sensible idea for higher winds.

The zephyr though is the real eye opener ( 2013) what they have done with this kite, breeding in some edge DNA is just nothing short of outstanding. Man I would love a zephyr in smaller sizes!!

Return to “Kitesurfing”