Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Fat Lady V2 with another Bar with low Y

Forum for kitesurfers
luca
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Fat Lady V2 with another Bar with low Y

Postby luca » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:58 am

Any1 tested the Fat Lady V2 with another Bar than the UniBar? I have a Bar with a low Y on 4 meters. All lines are the Same length and it has a Single frontline Safety. Does it Works with the Y or does it change the characteristic of the Kite?

TommyDuotone
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: IB, Rauls, 38's, Gavs
Style: surf
Gear: North, Ocean Rodeo, Firewire

Re: Fat Lady V2 with another Bar with low Y

Postby TommyDuotone » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:11 pm

Does it Y 4 meters from the bar or 4 meters from the kite? If it Y's closer to the bar, I don't see this as an issue. I use a 23 in. Slingshot bar(no Y, just 4 equal line lengths) and it works great. I also have the Blade uni-bar but prefer the length of the Slingshot bar on the Fat Lady. Hope this helps.

bnthere
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island and South Texas USA

Hood River and the Columbia River Gorge USA
Favorite Beaches: South Padre Island Texas: year round the best flatwater and fall - winter - spring fun wave riding as well.
Style: all styles of kite riding
Gear: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Brand Affiliation: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Seadoo
Headzone
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby bnthere » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:16 pm

except that if your bar has a single centerline leash system with only 4m travel, that is not likely enough to properly disable the kite (maybe it is, test it). the Y setup will fly the kite fine, a vast majority of kites preform fine on either centerline setup.

is the centerline leash line free flowing (aka can it travel as far as necessary to disable any kite, or is it fixed length, with only x amount of travel. is that x amount of length that pulls through to disable the kite enough to get all the tension off the other 3 lines and disable the kite, or not. thats the only important question.

knot connections matching up are inconsequential, its too easy to fix that with a set of connectors or by swapping around the ones you already have

bar length also not very important, anything medium sized (50cm) or greater no problem. any kite can be flown on any sized bar, its just a question of feel and performance. FL is highly responsive and maneuverable, it does not require a long bar for great steering performance. a longer bar will allow more steering sensitivity and more available line tension on the line you are steering on (aka harder tighter turning) and a shorter bar less, as with any kite and size.

also, in my experience the greater or lesser "inward tension" created by a Y centerline system vs a V is also inconsequential, the differences in flying performance and canopy/le stability (if any) are negligible in every kite/bar system i have swapped them between, which is a lot. there may be some kites that this does matter for, but so far i have not found.
Last edited by bnthere on Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:37 pm, edited 4 times in total.

luca
Frequent Poster

Postby luca » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:33 pm

Yes the Y is 4.3 meters away from the adjuster

KitePaddleSurf
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Locust Beach, Hunter Beach, Driftwood Beach, Sandy Point, Birch Bay, West Beach, Sandy Heights, Dogfish Beach, Glass Beach, Post Point.
Favorite Beaches: Locust Beach
Style: Big Air/Freestyle
Gear: Liquid Force, Slingshot, Ocean Rodeo
Brand Affiliation: www.kitepaddlesurf.com

Postby KitePaddleSurf » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:21 pm

I have used the Fat Lady with the 2012 and 2013 Blade Bar, a 2013 Slingshot bar, and a 2013 Liquid force bar, and all of them work well. I have even flown a Trigger 10m on a 2012 North bar.... All except the North bar connected up without any problems. On the north bar, I had to make a knot on the center lines for it to match up.

Slingshot and LF both have bigger bars available, but the truth is, that once you get used to flying the Fat Lady on a 52cm wide unibar, the other larger bars feel really big. I am sure they wouldn't feel big if I were using larger bars more frequently, but having spent most of my time recently on the unibar, you get used to 52cm being your big bar.

Mikites
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Petobego sand bar
Gear: Blade trigger and fat lady

Postby Mikites » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:50 am

I have a 2013 fatlady and uni bar but i think it actually flys better with the 2012 blade bar with the long front line leader.. Its seems faster and more responsive with the high Y. Kinda sucks if the wind is super light and you need to pull one centerline to roll her over, but you can use the safety line to do that if you really have to.

Oh and BTW thanks Kitepaddlesurf for putting the liquidforce twinskims on sale.. Totally amazing with the fat lady, like they are made for each other. Basically if you can feel the wind you can blast that thing upwind with ease that my old TT can never do in any wind! But you already knew that.

bnthere
Frequent Poster

Favorite Beaches: South Padre Island Texas: year round the best flatwater and fall - winter - spring fun wave riding as well.
Mystic
WindAlert
Mystic
WindAlert
Seadoo
Headzone

Postby bnthere » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:08 pm

Mikites wrote:I have a 2013 fatlady and uni bar but i think it actually flys better with the 2012 blade bar with the long front line leader.. Its seems faster and more responsive with the high Y.

are you sure that is not just the shorter lines on the 2012 bar making is seem like the kite is "turning faster"

Mikites
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Petobego sand bar
Gear: Blade trigger and fat lady

Postby Mikites » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:25 am

bnthere wrote:
Mikites wrote:I have a 2013 fatlady and uni bar but i think it actually flys better with the 2012 blade bar with the long front line leader.. Its seems faster and more responsive with the high Y.

are you sure that is not just the shorter lines on the 2012 bar making is seem like the kite is "turning faster"

Very well could be.. I couldn't tell you if the lines are the same length or not. I just know when I got my uni it seems a bit slower, still pretty quick for a 17 but slower.

bnthere
Frequent Poster

Mystic
WindAlert
Mystic
WindAlert
Seadoo
Headzone