Vacaloca
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Buenos aires, chascomus, punta rasa
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 6m kites. your experiences

Postby Vacaloca » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:44 pm

Great and different points of views. I tried a 6m today on 28kts, being 73k on a TT, and I could barely practice any of my basic tricks. Kite moves too fast and very unforgiving. It seems that for waves a fast kite works great.
Thanks

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JGTR » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:47 am

Vacaloca wrote:Great and different points of views. I tried a 6m today on 28kts, being 73k on a TT, and I could barely practice any of my basic tricks. Kite moves too fast and very unforgiving. It seems that for waves a fast kite works great.
Thanks
Personally I wouldn't say a 6 is a kite for tricking, like you say its too fast and too easy to misdirect

max
Very Frequent Poster

Postby max » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:59 am

JGTR wrote:
Vacaloca wrote:Great and different points of views. I tried a 6m today on 28kts, being 73k on a TT, and I could barely practice any of my basic tricks. Kite moves too fast and very unforgiving. It seems that for waves a fast kite works great.
Thanks
Personally I wouldn't say a 6 is a kite for tricking, like you say its too fast and too easy to misdirect
I think it also depends on the type of kite and the gustiness of the wind and how used to flying it you are . . . not just the size.

I have a Rebel 6m that is not too fast for tricks though my 5m needs a bit more care and attention often due to the gustiness of the wind though.

Maybe a 6m Ozone REO which is a super fast turner from what i am told would be a different kettle of fish.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:09 pm

I can have fun on my 6 in 20 knots on my bigger surfboard and in that it can be super fun to unhook on a wave and get a few turns in, or loop the crap out of it on transitions etc on a tt. Then there are the days when 6m is your only choice cause its 28+ and often gusty. On those days its all about the board on the water and I often go a session without a single loop or big air.

Its not really the kite as much as the wide range of conditions that dictate what I do on any given day. A 6m just lets you get out and relax in conditions where those on 8/9m kites are barely hanging on.

Lives2fly
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Barvas, Gress, Sheilabost, Luskentyre, Reef, Ardroil, Melbost, Tong
Style: Freeride/Freestyle
Gear: Naish Cults, Bolts & Parks

Postby Lives2fly » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:10 pm

The smallest kite I have is 7.5m and the couple of times i have tried using it when it been over 35kts or so have been quite difficult - particularly if its dead onshore. I'm definately going to be in the market for a small kite for autumn. lost a few days last year because it was too windy to ride! (smallest I had then was a 9)

Small kites are challenging for progress but thats a good thing because all the beetings you take trying to do moves on your 5-7 will be worth it when you get back on a 10 - they are going to seem easy

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Postby NYKiter » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:16 am

Vacaloca wrote: Kite moves too fast and very unforgiving.
That about sums it up for my 6m 36knots +
Like a bee in a bonnet...plain creepy wind around these parts... :runaway:

Nukin
Frequent Poster

Postby Nukin » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:09 am

Never really liked small kites until I got the Airush Lithium 6m. It has great range, I have used it when others are on 10's and 12's and it's no slouch when the wind picks up. The Airush bar is adjustable so you can use a short bar to slow down the steering.

The best thing about the kite is that it boost really well. This is the only small kite I have ever owned that does not drop you like a rock after a big boost. It gives good floaty jumpy hangtime for such a small kite.

Lovin it...

Vacaloca
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Buenos aires, chascomus, punta rasa

Postby Vacaloca » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:50 am

Nukin wrote:Never really liked small kites until I got the Airush Lithium 6m. It has great range, I have used it when others are on 10's and 12's and it's no slouch when the wind picks up. The Airush bar is adjustable so you can use a short bar to slow down the steering.

The best thing about the kite is that it boost really well. This is the only small kite I have ever owned that does not drop you like a rock after a big boost. It gives good floaty jumpy hangtime for such a small kite.

Lovin it...
I guess that if I could use a 10mtr instead of a 6m I'd rather be on the 10m... :roll:

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:58 am

Vacaloca wrote: I guess that if I could use a 10mtr instead of a 6m I'd rather be on the 10m... :roll:
Depends, My current ones overlap from say 20 to 30 knots at the extreme. In 20 knots for sure most times I'd rather the 10m, In 28, not so much. Even in a steady 22 ish, If its waves, Im going for the 6m every time.

20 knots is kinda magic wind where anything works. Same rider can hold down a 12 comfy enough and boost or zip around in waves on a surfboard with half the kite.

There are also drastically different 6m kites. My first was gutless and took a solid 25 to have any fun. Had a 10m and 14m of the same kite so it all worked out. Now I get the same range from just a 6m and 10m, they just have loads more low end. My current one starts working well in as little as 20 knots. I personally have toped out on it somewhere around 40. Those are also drastically different days. Accordingly my experiences with 6m kites is varied, but pretty much all good. The percentage of 6m days that I actually remember is much higher than 10m days!

TommyDuotone
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: IB, Rauls, 38's, Gavs
Style: surf
Gear: North, Ocean Rodeo, Firewire

Postby TommyDuotone » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:07 am

I weigh a little over 200. With a 6'2" surfboard, I can use my 6m(BWS) in 20 knots and over. A buddy of mine who only rides T.T. and weighs the same, doesn't like using his 7m that much. He only uses it when he can't hold his 10m down anymore. He says it not that much fun when he's on his 7m(usually gusty). So, I guess it all depends on what/how you ride because I love it when I'm on my 6m.

Return to “Kitesurfing”