Medium Poster
Local Beach: SC
Style: Surf
Gear: North kites, Tomo boards
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: North Rebel 2014

Postby MMac22 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:32 am

That inflation valve looks great. Did North also get rid of the wingtip dump valve?

max
Very Frequent Poster

Postby max » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:07 pm

hrdude wrote:That inflation valve looks great. Did North also get rid of the wingtip dump valve?

Nope. Suppose it still helps with rolling the kite up. The inflate/deflate valve makes pumping up the kite a breeze. . . almost no resistance from the pump until the kite is virtually fully inflated and deflating is quick as.

Caesar
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Palm Cove, Port Douglas, Yorkeys Knob
Gear: Not telling unless I'm getting paid.
Brand Affiliation: Nothing...

Postby Caesar » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:15 pm

max wrote:
hrdude wrote:That inflation valve looks great. Did North also get rid of the wingtip dump valve?

Nope. Suppose it still helps with rolling the kite up. The inflate/deflate valve makes pumping up the kite a breeze. . . almost no resistance from the pump until the kite is virtually fully inflated and deflating is quick as.
Bummer!
@max - I bet you never rolled up a Cabrinha kite (the later ones with the big one-way-valve). Air is released instantly and the rolled up kite looks much better then when you roll them up all the way from one end to the other (as North recommends it).
Just my 2 cents...

Cheers
Caesar 8)

max
Very Frequent Poster

Postby max » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:26 pm

Caesar wrote: Bummer!
@max - I bet you never rolled up a Cabrinha kite (the later ones with the big one-way-valve). Air is released instantly and the rolled up kite looks much better then when you roll them up all the way from one end to the other (as North recommends it).
Just my 2 cents...

Cheers
Caesar 8)
Hey Caesar . . . i never roll the kites all the way to one end . . . roll to the centre from each end . . . never had an issue except that you need to wait a while for the air to leak out before rolling it. Do not understand why North ask for their particular rolling method.

Not an issue at all now with the new valve. Only advantage i see over Cabs is that there is no need to screw in a separate part to inflate which is what i think i have seen the cab users do.

Séb
Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, Core, Shinn, Moses, Horue
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Séb » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:57 pm

No need to do that on the 2013 Cab, no adaptor needed but you are right for the previous years. Nice to see North going with a real kite valve! But they should have removed the dump valve, no need for that once you get a large Boston type valve.

live2play
Medium Poster

Postby live2play » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:50 pm

Anyone ridden this yet?

Caesar
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Caesar » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:33 pm

live2play wrote:Anyone ridden this yet?
Yup, just coming back from a session on the 12m 2014 Rebel.
But will have a BBQ now. I will write a comparison to the 2013 12m Fuse tomorrow when my head is functioning again.

Cheers
Caesar 8)

Caesar
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Caesar » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:25 am

live2play wrote:Anyone ridden this yet?
Hi,

I had a go on the 12m 2014er Rebel yesterday.
I must admit- it is a very nice kite! The bar pressure is less than the 12m 2013er Fuse (which I would like to compare the Rebel with). The kite is more responsive and faster than the Fuse (for some of us that might not be an advantage).
When I lifted the kite over the fence at the end of the session, the Rebel feels lighter than the Fuse (maybe someone from North can confirm the weights?).
Hangtime and lift is unfortunately less than the Fuse (both kites are on 24m lines).
With my 68Kg I fly the Fuse up until 30knots. I'm sure the Rebel can be flown at such wind conditions too (unfortunately I didn't have the chance to fly the Rebel at 30knots yet).
The new one-way valve is a huge improvement. The quick release valve near the end of the LE of the Rebel is still there (additionally) so you can release the air at 2 locations at the same time if you like.
Unfortunately North is still working with those rubber bungies at the tips of the Rebel. On my Fuse both of them broke within the first 2.5 months (but were replaced by North with no questions asked). Maybe they should make them a bit tougher/thicker? I got 2 bungies produced here in Cumbuco from thicker material and will see if they last longer than North's original bungies.
The only (BIG) drawback for me is the 5th line design. If the Rebel could be flown as a 4 liner, that would be a true alternative to my Fuse.
I have to mention that I kite my Fuse on the 1st knot (most power, heaviest bar pressure). But after immense testing, that is the only set-up where the kite flies stable and has the power, lift and hangtime I like so much on the Fuse. I doubt there is any other kite out there with so much lift and hangtime...

Cheers
Caesar 8)

PGH
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby PGH » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:49 pm

do you need the pump to let the air out of the main valve ?

:thumb:

14ToeSide
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Sandy Spit
Gear: North, Ozone, Naish, Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: What ever works Best that year

Postby 14ToeSide » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:51 pm

No. Just turn the valve the other way. No other stick or probe needed.

Return to “Kitesurfing”