2012 Ocean Rodeo Mako FR 135x37cm

2004 Gaastra Force 14m
2002 Liquid Force Switch 185cm
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Trace Activity Monitor Kickstarter Campaign

Postby jbdc » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:14 pm

I wanted to let everyone know about a Kickstarter campaign for a waterproof position and orientation data logger called the TRACE:

If you remember the ShadowBox, this looks like it might be a worthy successor at a fraction of the price, supported by people who've had some success in this market. The advantage to this gadget over something like the Xensr is that the unit itself is sealed, you don't have to take your phone on the water with you, and it will support both iOS and Android. Further, having the device mounted to the board should allow for deeper analytics than just height, perhaps something akin to ShadowBox Live. While kiteboarding isn't a target market for the Kickstarter campaign, there was a Reddit AMA yesterday with one of the founders who said it's on their list of sports to do next.

I have no affiliation with the company, I'm just looking for a device which might help my progression by giving some hard data. I was able to get some good answers to my questions yesterday, and I'm about ready to put forward the money. If they reach $175k (only $25k more than the $150k they're asking for), all backers will get 3 mounts instead of just the one; which would come in handy since we all know how kiters like to accumulate gear. If they get funded but miss the $175k mark, 2 extra mounts will be available to backers for $10 or so. If you decide to back the project, don't forget to include the extra funds for shipping to your region.

If we can help get this project funded and make our voices heard, hopefully they'll prioritize app support for kiteboarding. Even if they don't, between the raw data and the surfing app we could have a neat tool to help relive a session and derive some lessons from it.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Re: TRACE Activity Monitor Kickstarter Campaign

Postby Laughingman » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:32 pm

That is actually a pretty nice unit. I'm backing it.

jbdc
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Ashbridges Bay, ON
Cherry Beach, ON
Hanlan's Point, ON
Favorite Beaches: Hanlan's Point, ON
Cherry Beach, ON
Ashbridges Bay, ON
Delray Beach, FL
Style: Intermediate
Gear: 2012 Pansh Aurora 15m
2010 Slingshot Octane 13m
2011 Cabrinha Crossbow 9m
2012 Ocean Rodeo Rise 7m
2012 Ocean Rodeo Cypher 5m

2010(?) Imagine Surf Fat Fish 5'2"
2011 Nobile NBL 142x42cm

2004 Gaastra Force 14m

Re: Trace Activity Monitor Kickstarter Campaign

Postby jbdc » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:08 pm

Funding has stalled. At the current rate, it doesn't look like the project will make it's goal:

That's why if we want something like this, we've got to commit now--at basically zero risk. If the project gets funded, you get the unit; if it doesn't, you are charged nothing. If you want the production version, you can get one at the $149 (+$10 shipping) pledge level. They hope to retail at $169 USD, so you'd be saving yourself at least $20.

I've pledged for a beta unit, and I'm considering pledging again for a production unit. I have some ideas for interesting analytics with two units.

The ShadowBox was over $500. Here's a good chance to get something comparable for significantly less cost, which will be compatible with both Android and iOS, and export to standard file formats. If this doesn't happen now, I fear it will be another 3-5 years before we see a company try to bring something like this to market again. I don't want to wait.

Please help out if you have the means.

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Postby NYKiter » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:31 pm

For kiting you want to make an app that has a micro anemometer on the kite that transmits wind speed to a phone so all your buddies know what the actual wind on the water at the correct elevation is rather than stationary land units. Have it account for travel speed via gps.

Get your mind off the board.

jbdc
Medium Poster
Cherry Beach, ON
Hanlan's Point, ON
Cherry Beach, ON
Ashbridges Bay, ON
Delray Beach, FL
2012 Ocean Rodeo Rise 7m

2011 Nobile NBL 142x42cm

2004 Gaastra Force 14m

Postby jbdc » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:21 pm

NYKiter wrote:...Get your mind off the board.
I've been told before that I've had my head in the clouds. That statement is half-accurate in this case. ;)

sharky79
Medium Poster
Gear: cabrinha

Postby sharky79 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:46 am

NYKiter wrote:For kiting you want to make an app that has a micro anemometer on the kite that transmits wind speed to a phone so all your buddies know what the actual wind on the water at the correct elevation is rather than stationary land units. Have it account for travel speed via gps.

You will need to measure the wind when the kite is stationary above your head otherwise you will be adding the apparent wind.

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:18 pm

sharky79 wrote:
NYKiter wrote:For kiting you want to make an app that has a micro anemometer on the kite that transmits wind speed to a phone so all your buddies know what the actual wind on the water at the correct elevation is rather than stationary land units. Have it account for travel speed via gps.

You will need to measure the wind when the kite is stationary above your head otherwise you will be adding the apparent wind.
Actually that would be some very good data to have. This is where you could really test the efficiency of different kites or race gear combinations. All so would help with kite design. I think something as simple as that could help advance kites quite a bit.

CNDKiter
Rare Poster

Postby CNDKiter » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:22 pm

I funded it, seems like the best product to be presented so far.

jbdc
Medium Poster
Cherry Beach, ON
Hanlan's Point, ON
Cherry Beach, ON
Ashbridges Bay, ON
Delray Beach, FL
2012 Ocean Rodeo Rise 7m

2011 Nobile NBL 142x42cm

2004 Gaastra Force 14m

Postby jbdc » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:37 pm

jbdc wrote:
NYKiter wrote:...Get your mind off the board.
I've been told before that I've had my head in the clouds. That statement is half-accurate in this case. ;)
To elaborate on this since I've already blabbed about it elsewhere: My plan is for two units; one on the board, the other on the kite, then put the two together in a visualization like the ShadowBox Live demo. I figure this will make it easy to see the differences between successful maneuvers and blown ones. (Ah, I sent the kite too far on that one! etc.)

Also, though the campaign had slowed down, it looks like some gracious benefactor has said they'll match pledges for the next day or so. If you'd actually like to get one of these things, now would be a good time to contribute.

As I expressed in a PM to NYKiter, with all these sensors getting so cheap, there's a world of possibilities in terms of what we'll be able to do with a bit of tinkering. But for the spotty conditions in my area, I need to capitalize on every opportunity to be on the water; I can't be futzing on the beach. I don't mind this one because the fiddling with this device comes later on in front of a computer.:)

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:17 pm

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/act ... -for-actio

7 days to go ... $21,210 left to pledge

Someone back this already!

Return to “Kitesurfing”