Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Gear question

Forum for kitesurfers
rageaster
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Mattheson Hammock Park, South Beach
Style: Freestyle
Gear: 2013 LF Envy 12m, 2013 LF Influence Board, 2013 Cabrinha Switchblade 10m.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Gear question

Postby rageaster » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:48 pm

Hello everyone I'm new here. I've only been kbing for a year now so I would consider myself a beginner/intermediate rider. I wanted to ask all of you a question because I know there's serious experience in these forums. As you know the new 2014 Xcalibur is out and they have the signature series as well. I was thinking would the 141 serve as a ok light wind board? And if so should I get the all carbon edition? I know it's lighter so I would think it would help with light wind.

I've also managed to find a 9m Cabrinha switchblade for $1300 brand new, would you consider that to be a good deal? I wanted to buy a smaller kite since I already fly a LF Envy 12m.

Thank you for any help you decide to post... It can be difficult trying to figure out everything on your own.

rageaster
Rare Poster

Re: Gear question

Postby rageaster » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:16 am

Anyone?

Kiteus Maximus
Medium Poster

Postby Kiteus Maximus » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:48 am

I wouldn't consider the X a light wind board. It has a little bit above moderate rocker to be a light wind board. The fact that you can get one made of CF won't change its planeing characteristics.

kiteontario
Medium Poster
Gear: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Nobile

Postby kiteontario » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:56 am

For a lightwind board, if you're looking for a twintip, consider the Spleene Monster Door, the Nobile Flying Carpet or the Slingshot Glide. Boards that are flat will be good for lightwind.

As for the 9m Switchblade, $1,300 sounds decent for a brand new kite if it's a 2013 or even 2014 and includes bag, bar, lines and pump. Some 2012s can be found new for $900 or less. Sometimes if you're not in a rush you might find a recent trade in and get an awesome deal on a slightly used Switchblade.

rageaster
Rare Poster

Postby rageaster » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:44 am

Thanks for the responses guys. I was thinking the X could make a decent light wind board at 141 considering the stylus is 145 and it's designed as a light wind board. Both have low rockers so I figured it would be alright. I have a 137 LF influence so I figured a 141 would keep me up in slight wind conditions or on those days where you just have that really good gust keeping you going. Hmm. Thoughts?

southflorida
Medium Poster
Style: flat water, go fast, practice tricks

Postby southflorida » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:03 am

regeaster: you say "I know it's lighter so I would think it would help with light wind."

Weight of board has very little to do with it's light wind ability.

These are the important parameters for a light wind TT, and are present in the boards mentioned by Kiteontario:

Flat (no or minimum rocker). This gives the rear of the board the most bite so you can plane in less wind.

Profile (not tapered toward ends making the board more rectangle). The trailing edge back corner is your keel for upwind ability, the wider the ends of the board, the better. In fact, some Spleen doors are a tad bit wider at the ends than at the center. That extra width makes a difference in light wind.

Size (particularly width IMO). ~45 cm and greater is "wide" and good for light wind, ~144 cm long and longer for length.

Just to keep it confusing, and surely you know this, these parameters work together with the amount of wind, size/type of kite, weight of rider and ability of rider. It's not so simple, finding the right combination takes some experimenting. I thought a 160x50 door was way too big at the time, but borrowed one and I shot up wind almost immediately. Left me wondering why I didn't try one 6 months earlier. Bought my own door shortly after.

And of course, all the light wind board parameters work against you if you want a board for tricks, chop, carving turns, waves, etc. Big flat boards like to torpedo in anything but flat water, are brutal on knees in chop, and not suitable for carving turns and other cool high speed maneuvers. Good luck!

rageaster
Rare Poster

Postby rageaster » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:14 am

Very in depth post I appreciate the knowledge. So would you suggest the board? I'm on the fence. It would def be much easier to ride then the 137 I have. Not sure if I should go carbon or not.

southflorida
Medium Poster
Style: flat water, go fast, practice tricks

Postby southflorida » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:16 pm

Cabrinha language says the X has a low rocker, and that board is 141x43, kind of wide. The profile is relatively square toward ends of the board (not super tapered off). Your weight, skill and what you define as "light wind" is key.

For bigger guys (180 lbs plus) I would not consider that a light wind board. Cab doesn't position it as a light wind board, so there's a big clue. Read the description of the cab Stylus.

It's all relative. For some, 14 knots is their light wind, for others 11 knots. Big difference. Just as 40 lbs of body weight makes a huge difference.

rageaster
Rare Poster

Postby rageaster » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:01 pm

Thank you very much for the info I can tell you really know your stuff. However I'm still on the fence with whether or not I should purchase it and if I should get the all carbon edition. To me I think I could benefit from a board that's wider on days where wind conditions aren't ideal. I don't know what to do...

rageaster
Rare Poster

Postby rageaster » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:03 pm

Oh I'm 170lb btw. I want an all around board which leads me to think the stylus isn't for me. But then again I'm contemplating on the 139cm edition.

Return to “Kitesurfing”