Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Leaving lines attached when packing away

Forum for kitesurfers
Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Re: Leaving lines attached when packing away

Postby Laughingman » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:35 pm

You know this does not have to be an either or decision.

I have one bar for 5 kites
I use a line keeper and I can connect them while my electric pump is pumping my kite. No need to run them out provided you pay attention to how you pack up and unpack. The key is to have a system and always follow it.

So I have the benefit of speed but yet I don't have to buy or travel with 5 bars....

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm
Has thanked: 0

Postby SupaEZ » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:58 pm

Westozzy wrote:I take it then you don't wash your lines after a kite then??

A certain amount of lines (@5 meters) is in the folded kite and cannot be reached of course

But the bar-lines-QR-CL are not stored or rolled inside the kite so very EZ if a wash is needed

The kite gets folded in 2-3 or 4 folds starting from trailing edge towards LE where the air escapes

My bar and lines are kept out of the kite as i fold about 2 feet away and in front of central LE

When folding done & air all out i simply put bar/lines on top of the folded kite

All gets stored in bag as such

I have a technique where wet bar & lines never touch the sand as i re-rig with lines on

At de-rig the wet bar-lines will go on top of kite canopy or on top of my board..so all stays clean

That way i have no need to rinse.....but i do let the bar & lines dry out overnight

I keep the kite in the bag and since i have 2 feet of line length to the bar.....
..... i pull bar out of on top of kite and set it on top of kitebag to dry

I never liked the technique of rolling bar inside the kite even for foils....makes no sense to me

For the simple reason that if maintenance is required...
.... it is a hassle and unnecessary steps to have to unfold kite to get to the bar

Now enjoy a nice well deserved cold beer on me
:cheers: :beer:

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SupaEZ » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:21 pm

Laughingman wrote:
I use a line keeper and I can connect them while my electric pump is pumping my kite.

Doesn't your of wife or girlfriend kite...does she kite with you ? if so you must have 2 bars total :wink:

I am all about speed and easy when it comes to launching..know of no one who does it faster

You have electric pump but you still have to flip kite LE down at set-up then up again to launch
You probably need to walk 3 times the distance of @25 meters
Lay lines out... return to kite....flip it....walk away one last time to launch
Don't you have to put away that pump not to get stolen?

That's way too long and too much time spent already IMO

I pump kite with handpump @1.5 minutes (19m2)...walk away once and launch
Now that is EZ & fast...kite never needs flipping over which is also a time saver the way i do it

:cheers: to you .............we all have our systems and that's ok....have fun...be safe :thumb:

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board

Postby Laughingman » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:07 pm

SupaEZ wrote:
Laughingman wrote:
I use a line keeper and I can connect them while my electric pump is pumping my kite.

Doesn't your of wife or girlfriend kite...does she kite with you ? if so you must have 2 bars total :wink:
Yes she also has a bar, but because of the way we treat our things, she has her bar, I have my bar.
I would never use her bar and I have no donkey dick on my chickenloop so she would never use mine.
I am all about speed and easy when it comes to launching..know of no one who does it faster

You have electric pump but you still have to flip kite LE down at set-up then up again to launch
You probably need to walk 3 times the distance of @25 meters
Lay lines out... return to kite....flip it....walk away one last time to launch
Don't you have to put away that pump not to get stolen?
okay lets run through it
1. attach and turn on pump
2. attach lines while kite is pumping
3. put harness on
4. detatch pump from kite,
5. pick up bar and kite, launch

at this point my wife would pick up the pump and pump her kite so I would not have to put it away and besides, no one would steel my pump at least locally.

That's way too long and too much time spent already IMO

I pump kite with handpump @1.5 minutes (19m2)...walk away once and launch
Now that is EZ & fast...kite never needs flipping over which is also a time saver the way i do it
When do you put on your harness? if you put it on when you arrive, I'd already have my kite half pumped and lines attached before you even started....

I would challenge you to a dual if I ever see you on the beach unless you copied my system you would have a tough time beating me into the water. Since my electric pump is faster then manual pumping and it leaves me free to do other things while my kite is being pumped.

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SupaEZ » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:30 pm

You walk 3 times 25 meters
You have to re-position the kite to launch it
Do you self launch ...slide...anchor...sandbag...........or use available help

I walk once
I do not re-position the kite
Self launch....done

Me Faster without even rushing......been doing this way 14.5 years...no need to copy anyone

:cheers:

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Laughingman » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:58 pm

SupaEZ wrote:You walk 3 times 25 meters
You have to re-position the kite to launch it
Do you self launch ...slide...anchor...sandbag...........or use available help

I walk once
I do not re-position the kite
Self launch....done

Me Faster without even rushing......been doing this way 14.5 years...no need to copy anyone

:cheers:
Why would I walk even once 25m?

My lines are wrapped and remain wrapped until I let go of the kite... I think your 14.5 years of experience are causing you to make assumptions for which you have no evidence.

Drift launching is the way to go for speed...

So when was it you put your harness on? Was that before, after or during you pump up your kite.?

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster

Postby SupaEZ » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:07 pm

Laughingman wrote: Why would I walk even once 25m?

My lines are wrapped and remain wrapped until I let go of the kite

Drift launching is the way to go for speed...

So when was it you put your harness on? Was that before, after or during you pump up your kite.?

To let go of the kite on land....you have to walk once to launch...if you decide to slide it
But no...on land people in general walk 3 times...when doing their line installation ritual
(Unless you want to hope for the best and take a chance of not double checking your lines)

We are discussing land launching...not in the water.....besides I will beat that launch too
Walking my lines out takes @ 30 seconds...a kite drifting on water 25 meters takes longer

My harness goes on before I grab my kite, board ,non-electric pump out of the car
Total time needed: 15 seconds
Oh let's not forget the UV protective shades: that's 3 seconds more

From the time I put my folded kite on the sandy beach...(using hand pump & 19m2)
....to the time it takes off the sand into the air....only 4 minutes and 15 seconds
Of course let me add harness+ shades.....Final total 4 min 33 sec to make it more fair !

Good luck getting close with your method
Time yourself... you will be surprise
Have someone film you in real time

Again cheers :)
Last edited by SupaEZ on Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Laughingman » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:18 pm

Assuming a "slide launch" is when you flip the kite and turn it along the wind then walk away and pull a downwind line till it catches enough air for the kite to flip up.....

....Even if I was doing a slide launch I still would only walk 25m away from the kite once as I unrolled my lines since I use a line keeper I do not need to run my lines out (the ritual which you speak of). That was the whole point of my original post to begin with!

Slide launch and drift launch are basically the same thing except a drift launch is faster as you can walk away from the kite as it drifts away, almost doubling the speed.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:20 pm

quit arguing guys what's next the proper way to tie your shoes

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster