Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Need suggestions for first kite/quiver

Forum for kitesurfers
matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Need suggestions for first kite/quiver

Postby matth » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:42 pm

I have two vectors 12m and 9m in mint cond in the Second hand section. The 12m would good for your weight up to about 30 mph. I also see a few large crossbows recently listed. You can get great deals on used kites. Most kites that are only a few years old are just as good and half the price. I just bought a used 2013 16m crossbow in mint condition(almost new) for a thousand dollars.

jespin4845
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Worth, FL
Jupiter, FL
Style: Freeride/surf
Gear: kites and boards

Postby jespin4845 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:54 pm

Whatever u do get a stiff board, i got a flimsy board that 150 lb rider would deem great but at 210 i would just flex it way too much when i started out, spent 9 months walking upwind till i tried a slingshot glide....i would say the origin from ocean rodeo or the overdrive from liquid force, good light to marginal wind boards and great for heavy weights, the switch element is a good first kite, especially since u will be relaunching a lot, personally i fly ocean rodeo razors, but i wouldnt suggest those as beginner kites, they have made me barrel on shore a couple of times, but that was my fault, i cant imagine putting a beginner on them

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A
Has thanked: 0

Postby dyyylan » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:28 pm

I am 100 lbs lighter than you and ride the envys, but since you're going to be riding bigger kites in more wind, I would recommend going the NRG route over the envy. The envy is a very fat kite in terms of aspect ratio and until this year's model (the 2014) they have a lot of drag on the canopy which makes them a bit less suitable in my experience for conditions out of their "normal" wind range. The NRG being higher aspect likes to sit more forward in the window, so it behaves very well with a lot of wind - it's one of those kites with almost infinite depower as long as you can edge hard enough against it, and you won't feel out of control. While I'm sure a 12m in 25 knots would be no problem at 250 lbs, I think the NRG would perform a lot better than a super low aspect kite like the envy or other similarly shaped kites.

dracop
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Naska Beach - Kanaha - Maui, HI USA
Waipuliani Park - Kihei - Maui, HI USA
South Point - Hawaii, HI USA
A-Bay - Hawaii, HI USA
Favorite Beaches: _
Kanaha - Maui, HI
Kihei - Maui, HI
South Point - Hawaii Island
Kite Beach - Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Tableview - Cape Town, South Africa
Style: Big Air :D
Gear: 2022 Dice 10m/12m SLS, 2022 Rebel SLS 12m, 2022 15m Aluula Juice
2017 Core Choice 2 142, 2020 Duotone Jaime Textreme, 2014 Best Breeze 145,
Brand Affiliation: The Maui Kitesurf Company
www.mauikitesurf.com

Postby dracop » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:42 am

Ok, well bad news, I lost the good deal on that 16m NRG. Was researching boards and someone bought the last one. So now the deals online are pushing me to one of two ways:

a 2013 17m Best TS v2 Demo or 2013 OceanRodeo 17.5m new
Switch Elementv2 13m

or

a 2013 15m LF Envy
Switch Elementv2 11m

I was out today in a 12m Star Taina in 20 mph winds and while I can get going - its ummm, abit slow. Water starts are painful and require me to either push the Power stroke deep into the power zone or do ALOT of fast vertical figure eights on one side. So I am leaning towards the top end 17/13 quiver, working the 13 at first and whipping out the 17 for those 15mph days.

Too much kite ?
(I am new and the input of more experienced riders is appreciated)

I was on an old 146 Cabrinha board

247 lbs of weight before water logged wetsuit, pfd, helmet, harness, etc.
winds were 18 mph-21 mph today
winds are usually either 15-22 mph or 28 mph-35 mph when cold fronts roll in (miami).

Also on boards, is the LF Edge 146 a good board with value as a light wind board down the road? I am considering spending a little more for a Best Breeze or LF Overdrive, is it really worth it as a beginner?
Last edited by dracop on Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:13 am

160 and 250 are worlds apart. I would say 2 to 3m difference for kite size. Remember as you get better your efficiency will improve. Most begginers tend to lean back to much and head upwind to quickly when water starting and stall the kite. At first you think you need a lot more horse power than you actually do. I personally hate being overpowered and do not mind working the kite a little. There is no better feeling than being in the sweet spot.

dracop
Very Frequent Poster
A-Bay - Hawaii, HI USA
Kanaha - Maui, HI
Kihei - Maui, HI
www.mauikitesurf.com

Postby dracop » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:10 am

Exactly.

They are meant for the two main rideable conditions we get here - average wind and fronts. No wind days are dead no matter what. I wont spend money to build up the quiver past 35 mph, too rare and dangerous.

The wind here is generally 15-22mph OR we get a new front in and the wind meters spike to 28-35. Little in between. On that score I agree with my instructor, its just the local weather pattern.

I will however take your comments as a suggestion to look at smaller kites. Struggling though, no real deals on 16ms atm. BF is a couple of days away though and thats when they will roll out their biggest guns at a couple of websites so hopefully I find something suitable. If not maybe just get a 13 and wait for a post-Xmas deal for the larget kite (larger kite is generally more expensive so Im more sensitive).

dracop
Very Frequent Poster
A-Bay - Hawaii, HI USA
Kanaha - Maui, HI
Kihei - Maui, HI
www.mauikitesurf.com

Postby dracop » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:26 am

Ok, well I ended up back where I started, bought a 16m/12m quiver of 2013 LF NRGs with a 2014 Best Breeze 145. Thanks to REAL Watersports for matching my original deal (they had to match various BF deals), they made it work.

Thanks for the suggestions all, I am now looking forward to the new gear!

Down the road I made go for a Flite, but I was struggling to make that or the Best work financially in addition to being nervous about the extra power. My deal was very aggressive on pricing for new gear after factoring in all of the BF deals out there.

dracop
Very Frequent Poster
A-Bay - Hawaii, HI USA
Kanaha - Maui, HI
Kihei - Maui, HI
www.mauikitesurf.com

Postby dracop » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:02 pm

Got kite?

:D :D :D
Attachments
kitey.JPG

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A
Has thanked: 0

Postby dyyylan » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:24 pm

nice! report back how you like them, not a lot of feedback on the NRGs out there!

matth
Very Frequent Poster

Postby matth » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:11 am

Nothing better than twins. I heard good things about the NRG kites. They are similar to Rebels and Swithblades, high aspect , good upwind , great range , big boost and hang time. I think they will serve you well. Keep us posted.
I like having kites from the same brand if I can. That way you have a back up bar, pump , leash , fittings in a pinch.

Enjoy

Return to “Kitesurfing”