Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

How to solve problems the Hawaiian way...

Forum for kitesurfers
Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: How to solve problems the Hawaiian way...

Postby Starsky » Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:01 pm

This incident happened a decade ago. Pathetic or horrific or whatever, its one in a trillion such incidents in human history. To rehash it simply for the sake of conversation with no tangible action or intent toward improvement does little more than glorify it.

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Postby NYKiter » Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:16 pm

USA? in name only....
If you dont like it you go back to the mainland...

:cool2:

balugh
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hunstanton, Brancaster, and other beaches in Norfolk
Favorite Beaches: ...I need to travel more...:-(
Style: Free ride
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 3 15M
North Rebel 11M
North Rebel 8m
Ozone Light 7m
Spleene Session 140
SuperShinn 135
Brand Affiliation: www.kite-eze.com
Been thanked: 0

Postby balugh » Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:39 pm

jrfiol wrote:
balugh wrote:Tough guy reps are very difficult to shake....

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/brea ... sault.html

Kaia Alexander is now mid 40's.....and he'd be unique if he's still the biggest toughest dude on the beach. If nothing else some ambitious youngster in his 'family' will come along. Thus he is looking for a quieter life.... :bye:

But these guys are not, I think, unique as there are similar tribes in California and Australia (probably elsewhere too) that claim spots and set up their own rules. I'm with matth in preferring a bit of wind to help getaway from the crowd.
There is a long history of displacement and abuse to Hawaiians... The kid has no idea that he is being super disrepectful. It might not make sense to everybody, but he got off easy.

I have never been to hawaii, never will go. But it is super hard for me to think that there are no other spots for surfing than pipe.

I advocate peace, but first justice.
I have a lot of empathy for people that get displaced but I also have great difficulty seeing how beating some cocky kid up and breaking his surf board is, in anyway, going to engender 'respect'. It does, in fact, perpetuate the opposite. I'm sad for both of them in the original post...and have even less 'respect' for the people who stood around filming it and laughing.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:58 pm

The person I would have liked to have seen interviewed would be the local police chief.

If he thought he shouldn't have arrested and charged the assailant, then I would like to have heard his reasoning.

Same thing with the police today, I would like to hear the current police stance on the type of violence we saw on the beach.

eree
Very Frequent Poster

Postby eree » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:34 pm

and then they ask why so much school, campus or movie theater shooting.

suppose he had a couple of MAC-10 sub-machine guns in the trunk of his car near by and then he had a 15 minutes beach shooting spree.
what would be his chances to walk out of the court house free man after the jury watched this vid?

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:14 pm

eree wrote:and then they ask why so much school, campus or movie theater shooting.

suppose he had a couple of MAC-10 sub-machine guns in the trunk of his car near by and then he had a 15 minutes beach shooting spree.
what would be his chances to walk out of the court house free man after the jury watched this vid?
If I was on that jury I would have fully supported him. f*** localism, you don't own the beach or the waves.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:19 pm

I go to the beach to escape from this bullshit. The last thing I need is to fight over a freakin wave.
I have bigger battles to deal with in my life. Like I said before there is something to be said for the non summer months here in the North East. It may be cold. BUT THE BEACHES ARE EMPTY!!!
I would rather wear a dry suit than deal with gangbanger beach thugs.

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby NYKiter » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:27 pm

I was a haole in Hawaii ... I was the minority...
you go see for yourself how that other shoe fits for a while...you betcha...

jrfiol
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cayo Enrique, La Parguera; Montones Beach, Isabela; Dorado Beach, Dorado.
Favorite Beaches: Not yet.
Style: waverider, freestyle
Gear: Slingshot RPM 10, Darko 135. I also have a Liquid Force Havoc 12 and Rally 14M.

Postby jrfiol » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:41 pm

balugh wrote:
jrfiol wrote:
balugh wrote:Tough guy reps are very difficult to shake....

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/brea ... sault.html

Kaia Alexander is now mid 40's.....and he'd be unique if he's still the biggest toughest dude on the beach. If nothing else some ambitious youngster in his 'family' will come along. Thus he is looking for a quieter life.... :bye:

But these guys are not, I think, unique as there are similar tribes in California and Australia (probably elsewhere too) that claim spots and set up their own rules. I'm with matth in preferring a bit of wind to help getaway from the crowd.
There is a long history of displacement and abuse to Hawaiians... The kid has no idea that he is being super disrepectful. It might not make sense to everybody, but he got off easy.

I have never been to hawaii, never will go. But it is super hard for me to think that there are no other spots for surfing than pipe.

I advocate peace, but first justice.
I have a lot of empathy for people that get displaced but I also have great difficulty seeing how beating some cocky kid up and breaking his surf board is, in anyway, going to engender 'respect'. It does, in fact, perpetuate the opposite. I'm sad for both of them in the original post...and have even less 'respect' for the people who stood around filming it and laughing.
I agree there is no respect to be gained from such actions,

Kindest regards,

Flyfish
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Nor Cal
Gear: Flysurfer

Postby Flyfish » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:57 pm

Last edited by Flyfish on Thu May 17, 2018 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Kitesurfing”