Favorite Beaches: Cabarette, Margarita, Maui
Gear: Naish Kites, North Boards
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Getting in shape for kite trip. Costa Rica

Postby madmax7 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:11 pm

Background :

I'm 50's 5'11" 180 lbs, regular to gym, 4 times / wk for 45 to 60mins, have routine that focuses on major muscle groups, inc cardio for 50% of time.

Issue.

This time of year (off season) I try get a kite trip in, going to Costa Rica in a couple of weeks, hope for Mexico in March then my local season begins. In these trips, if wind complies, I get a 90 min session in morn (w a 10 min break) then 2 sessions in aft to finish day.

the problem is that by second day, for the 2nd session of day, my legs are fatigued, and I'm feeling my abs.

I need to get in shape, and how to recover once there?! Ideas please.

What I'm doing this month, since my trip is first 2 weeks in Jan, and CR wind does not let up: I've increased my days at gym to 6 days, and the next 2 weeks, will double my elliptical and stair master time to 40mins as opposed to 20, My workouts focus on reps w weights, more endurance than body building.

However, where in need the most input is what to do once there to recover from sessions,?!

I can do some light stretch and Beginner Yoga in morn, any other ideas? Take a nap? I'm not a runner, so can't incorporate that ...

Anyways, what do you guys do to survive when you want to maximize your kite time but the body is sluggish?

Thanks for input, Max
Last edited by madmax7 on Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron
Favorite Beaches: In Order:
Mauritius, Soma Bay, Egypt/ Cape Town, SA/ Cayo Guillermo, Cuba/ Sherkston, Canada/ El Gouna, Egypt/ Paje, Zanzibar/ Oliphant, Canada/ Kalpitya/ Dakhla, Morocco/ Boracay, Philippines/ Sri Lanka/ Wasaga Beach, Canada
Style: Freeride/Race
Gear: Cabrinha

Re: Getting in shape for kite trip. Advice request

Postby shawn13 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:01 pm

We just finished a two week trip where I rode 12 of 13 days.

I suggest working on your lower back if you ride with a waist harness. I alternate waist/seat.

Some mornings we could barely move but after we did a yoga session focused on our upper legs we felt better and were able to ride.

Honestly once you start riding the stiffness and pain kinda just goes away :thumb:

One thing I noticed is the top of my feet suffered pain and stiffness, I dunno how the fix that? I stretched them as much as I could but it never went away.

salvino
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Eastern end of Lake Erie
Favorite Beaches: Barbados
Hatteras
Lakes Erie and Ontario
Gear: Stallion SB
Moses 633,590,500 HF
Temavento board
Grooveskate board
Airush Ultra, North Neo 5,7,9

Postby salvino » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:08 pm

I find that a spinning bike with variable resistance keeps my leg endurance closest to water and snow kiting. I'm also a huge fan of resistance band training as they are ultra low impact and really work core: front,back, obliques. They allow you to change the angle of forces and muscle group that come closest to what happens under the kite.

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:15 pm

Ibuprofen......four at a time. :D :D :D :D

madmax7
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Belmont, Nicholas Canyon, Lake Isabella, Sherman Island

Postby madmax7 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:22 pm

Thanks guys, I'll add some bike exercises and research some yoga exercises for legs to work on while there

I do take a lot of ibuprofen, but get concerned about liver ( after all cant forget about happy hour) :lol:

Max

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil

Postby Dirk » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:51 pm

I am not so much into going to the gym. For this winter I added an Indo board for indoor training. Great for your legs, back and balance. If you do this an hour and a half it is a proper work out but a lot more dynamic and fun than gym excercises.
I use my Carver Skateboard as a work out tool as well. It teaches you to get real low and compressed in your turns, knees bended. Again, one hour on this is pretty similar to one hour on a snowboard and trains your upper legs.

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:54 pm

Try cross fit it would be the only thing that could come close to the total body workout that kiting is. All so you need to shorten the time you kite in one sitting so you don't wear yourself out too fast. Kite for 30 min then take a 15min break and ingest some calories so your burning that for fuel and not breaking down as much muscle.

brian_1979
Rare Poster
Gear: 10 SB Cabrinha 2010

Postby brian_1979 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:06 pm

madmax7 wrote:Background :

I'm 50's 5'11" 180 lbs, regular to gym, 4 times / wk for 45 to 60mins, have routine that focuses on major muscle groups, inc cardio for 50% of time.

Issue.

This time of year (off season) I try get a kite trip in, going to Costa Rica in a couple of weeks, hope for Mexico in March then my local season begins. In these trips, if wind complies, I get a 90 min session in morn (w a 10 min break) then 2 sessions in aft to finish day.

the problem is that by second day, for the 2nd session of day, my legs are fatigued, and I'm feeling my abs.

I need to get in shape, and how to recover once there?! Ideas please.

What I'm doing this month, since my trip is first 2 weeks in Jan, and CR wind does not let up: I've increased my days at gym to 6 days, and the next 2 weeks, will double my elliptical and stair master time to 40mins as opposed to 20, My workouts focus on reps w weights, more endurance than body building.

However, where in need the most input is what to do once there to recover from sessions,?!

I can do some light stretch and Beginner Yoga in morn, any other ideas? Take a nap? I'm not a runner, so can't incorporate that ...

Anyways, what do you guys do to survive when you want to maximize your kite time but the body is sluggish?

Thanks for input, Max
I used to have similar problems.

1) How is your position while riding? Are you able to incline your body or are you standing on the board?

2) Waist or Seat Harness?

madmax7
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Belmont, Nicholas Canyon, Lake Isabella, Sherman Island

Postby madmax7 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:16 pm

Good point Brian,

I think my posture is getting better, I'll pay attention to that.

This summer I switched back to seat and it helped my lower back considerably, but will probably be switching back and forth to alternate

Thanks for tip on 30 mins at a time, will incorporate

This thing seems a little obsessive but as I get older the body takes longer to recoup, and I'll b there 2 weeks, so want to try and have at least 1 good session everyday, so thank you guys for all input! Planning on maintaining a daily log to see what works.

Traveling with my 26 yo son, he also kites, and basically kiting eating and sleep is all we'll do! No distractions!

Thanks, Max

brian_1979
Rare Poster
Gear: 10 SB Cabrinha 2010

Postby brian_1979 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:47 pm

madmax7 wrote:Good point Brian,

I think my posture is getting better, I'll pay attention to that.

This summer I switched back to seat and it helped my lower back considerably, but will probably be switching back and forth to alternate

Thanks for tip on 30 mins at a time, will incorporate

This thing seems a little obsessive but as I get older the body takes longer to recoup, and I'll b there 2 weeks, so want to try and have at least 1 good session everyday, so thank you guys for all input! Planning on maintaining a daily log to see what works.

Traveling with my 26 yo son, he also kites, and basically kiting eating and sleep is all we'll do! No distractions!

Thanks, Max
If you are standing on the board your legs are handling all your body weight. If you incline your body MOST of your weight is held by the kite. This is what ended my leg pain. Besides, I only use seat harness now.

Return to “Kitesurfing”