Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

North 5th Flying Lines DIY

Forum for kitesurfers
sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Re: North 5th Flying Lines DIY

Postby sarc » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:40 pm

Used Aquaseal before, worked great. Aquaseal is very runny - 5200 is very thick like peanut butter very easy to set.

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Postby NYKiter » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:46 pm

Slingshot to North Mod...loose above the bar depower and eject onto the front line... :P

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:36 am

NYKiter wrote:I chased valve leaks on a LF havoc for several months using aquaseal.
I got so fed up I just broke down and purchased another bladder.
When you glob aquaseal on the bladder it curls up a little and its just messy as f*ck.
I'm going to have to say that the Type A Tear Aid used in the ustick valves is better than aquaseal.
Cant get Tear Aid in double side anywhere....they dont make it available to the public as far as I know.
If you can avoid folds and bubbles its way better than aquaseal...in my opinion... :-?
Like I said, with the thicker 3M 5200 build a ridge around the valve base, that will smother any tiny gaps left between the valve and bladder

GregK
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Comox, BC
CANADA
Style: Average
Gear: Lift V2 Surf & HA wingsets
Ocean Rodeo kites & wings
Brand Affiliation: started Comox Kite Repair

Postby GregK » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:45 pm

Tried the new Airtime valve trap yet - http://www.airtimekite.com/index.php/ai ... -trap.html ??

Haven't re-glued many valves since I started using the valve traps, much faster & easier, durability is still TBC, but so far so good ...

William Munney
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: West Meadow, GSB
Gear: North X-Ride, Airush Sector 60, North Rebels, 6m, 7m, 9m, 12m, 16m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby William Munney » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:45 pm

GregK wrote:Tried the new Airtime valve trap yet - http://www.airtimekite.com/index.php/ai ... -trap.html ??

Haven't re-glued many valves since I started using the valve traps, much faster & easier, durability is still TBC, but so far so good ...
I must be missing something here- if you have a standard size valve, why wouldn't you replace the whole valve for five bucks more? Valves sometimes crack at the base.

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster

Postby NYKiter » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:52 am

Sometimes when attempting to remove a leaking valve, one can inadvertently tear the bladder.
Happened to me more times than I care to mention. If the tear is long enough then the diameter of the new hole can be huge. Ergo, the valve trap covers a larger diameter hole on the bladder.
:pirate:

William Munney
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: West Meadow, GSB
Gear: North X-Ride, Airush Sector 60, North Rebels, 6m, 7m, 9m, 12m, 16m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby William Munney » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:13 am

NYKiter wrote:Sometimes when attempting to remove a leaking valve, one can inadvertently tear the bladder.
Happened to me more times than I care to mention. If the tear is long enough then the diameter of the new hole can be huge. Ergo, the valve trap covers a larger diameter hole on the bladder.
:pirate:
Yes, but they sell new valves with larger bases as well.

GregK
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Comox, BC
CANADA
Style: Average
Gear: Lift V2 Surf & HA wingsets
Ocean Rodeo kites & wings
Brand Affiliation: started Comox Kite Repair

Postby GregK » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:05 am

William Munney wrote:
I must be missing something here- if you have a standard size valve, why wouldn't you replace the whole valve for five bucks more? Valves sometimes crack at the base.
Agree with you there in some cases, if it's a worn-out inflate or dump that has delaminated, then yes, a complete new valve is best ( and I've seen Airtime are now supplying many of their stick-ons mounted with a valve trap rather than two-sided TearAid type A ).

However if it's a 1-pump / strut valve that has delaminated, and the valve body is still in great shape, then why not re-mount it with a valve trap instead of re-gluing with urethane glue.

Major thread hijack here ...

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster

Postby NYKiter » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:40 pm

Looks like they use double sided type A tear aid on all their valves...not just the valve trap...

Return to “Kitesurfing”