Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kite pumps- where's the technological advances??

Forum for kitesurfers
darippah
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Weight: 165
Local Beach: New Jersey, USA
Style: Hydrofoil big air
Gear: Sonic 3 13m , Soul 7 and 10m
Brand Affiliation: None

Kite pumps- where's the technological advances??

Postby darippah » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:49 am

in this day and age why are we still using the same pumps as 10 years ago? seems by now we should have wider and longer options (that's what she said) with ability to change to pump only on down stroke

seriously

Vin Stefanelli
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone Frenzy
Naish Shockwave
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Kite pumps- where's the technological advances??

Postby Vin Stefanelli » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:36 am

what the heck is wrong with pushing air on the up-stroke?

and i'll say what I always say,...
regular kite pumps with aluminum strokeshafts
are krap!

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:57 am

North, Naish, Cabrinha and Airush are using a "new" type, with different seals on the shaft at the cap, and a stiffer handle - you can spot it as the handle is round and hollow, without the "grip" indents. Better than the old ones but GODDAMN if they don't suck sand inside!

... not much of an advance though.

mike holmes
Medium Poster

Postby mike holmes » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:04 am

What I want is a foot pump.
Why should we hurt our backs and knees while pumping up a kite. This is what kite boarding is for.

Zian kiteboarding
Medium Poster
Gear: Aquila, Kima, Hantu
Brand Affiliation: Zian kiteboarding

Postby Zian kiteboarding » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:33 am

Seems you have mist indeed the latest improvements.

Bravo alu red (reduced effort device) 4 kite pump

is at the moment the best pump around.
It's the pump that you indeed find in some brands latest pumps but with private label off course.

First of all, this pump is much more robust and much better sand resistant and pumps much easier than the classic pumps. But next to this the latest version (which is the one we will have in stock soon now....private label indeed) shifts from double action to single action at 400mbar....and that really makes a huge positive difference when pumping the kite. If this is what you look for, ask specifically for it as not all have this feature.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:02 am

Zian kiteboarding wrote:Seems you have mist indeed the latest improvements.

Bravo alu red (reduced effort device) 4 kite pump

is at the moment the best pump around.
It's the pump that you indeed find in some brands latest pumps but with private label off course.

First of all, this pump is much more robust and much better sand resistant and pumps much easier than the classic pumps. But next to this the latest version (which is the one we will have in stock soon now....private label indeed) shifts from double action to single action at 400mbar....and that really makes a huge positive difference when pumping the kite. If this is what you look for, ask specifically for it as not all have this feature.
I bought one of those. One of the little flap valves broke very early on. It also changes to single action at too high a pressure (about 6psi) so you have the kite almost pumped up when it changes. If you have a bad back, you want it to change shortly after you have filled the kite and it has taken its inflated shape. I don't use the Bravo.

The best I have found is the latest Cabrinha pump (which has a more efficient valve) mounted on a base to bring it up to a comfortable height to pump without using your back so much.

Zian kiteboarding
Medium Poster
Gear: Aquila, Kima, Hantu
Brand Affiliation: Zian kiteboarding

Postby Zian kiteboarding » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:03 pm

If you mean the blue pump with the conical cap and double action changing to single action at pressure x.... that is, as far as I know, also a Bravo pump only with private label, just like ours and other kite brans do. I may however be wrong of course as I did not ask them but this pump and technology is patented.

They do have some other pumps as well that look alike but the one I talk about is the one specially designed for kites.
Last edited by Zian kiteboarding on Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:20 pm

On board air compressor in my truck. Hardest part about pumping up is rolling the hose back up :P .

William Munney
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: West Meadow, GSB
Gear: North X-Ride, Airush Sector 60, North Rebels, 6m, 7m, 9m, 12m, 16m

Postby William Munney » Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:08 pm

The Airhead pump I bought on Amazon has that option to switch to down stroke only.

$14.99

http://www.amazon.com/Kwik-Tek-AHP-1-Ai ... rhead+pump

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:00 pm

Hmmm...

If someone could make a pump that actually "lasts" - then I would think newer specialized pumps could be an advantage, true.

But as every single pump I have seen, will either hold by luck for years, or degrade or get totally useless suddenly and sometimes fast (because of drying out, really small sand blowing into the pump when out etc), I would NOT pay for a better pump, if you have no idea how long it will last :o

And I have yet to see any "better" pump, that does not have the same problem with sand into the pump and dry gaskets tearing up :roll:

So yes, you could (maybe) produce a more specific, and more expensive, kite pump - but as it most likely will be just as vulnerable - do we really want it ? I dont....

Apparently many has problems with backs and knees I can read ?

A bit curious now, as I am over 50, and NOT very flexible - but pumping a kite is the easiest thing in the world IMO, and a good little warmup too.

So can not see anything that is lacking in the current "cheap" pumps - besides the ability to take abuse and really small sand into it without getting worn out...
And the latter, I have yet to see (but dreaming about it).

I will not put more money into a better pump, untill they last longer !

If you take a look at the well represented kitespots, you most often will spot a canned pump, from one brand or another, in the bin :-?

(and yes, I've had numerous pumps from different brands, no difference really....)

8) PF

Return to “Kitesurfing”