Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

2014 North Evo review (in comparimsment to the 2013 Fuse)

Forum for kitesurfers
surfboy1968
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: 2014 North Evo review (in comparimsment to the 2013 Fuse

Postby surfboy1968 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:15 pm

Sorry boys, no BS here, just reporting what happened when i flew the dice. Pancake might be a little too harsh but it definitely had some leading edge deformation....I read some where else on this forum that it happened also ???? I had ordered 2 new Dice kites before I really got to fly them, really wanted to make it work, but after giving them a try just stuck with my EVO... And I didnt say you could do hooked, unhooked tricks better with Evo??? If the Evo is trimmed correctly, you can unhook just fine !!!! I think I push it pretty hard and I have no problem with kite in gusts at all....

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Has thanked: 0

Postby Westozzy » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:33 pm

Fair enough mate. Each to their own I suppose. You love the Evo and that's what counts. Good winds.

Robbylion
Rare Poster
Gear: Shinn Luigi North Rebel
Been thanked: 0

Postby Robbylion » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:28 pm

On my 9 Evo 14, I did experience the tips opening and closing in cycles towards the higher end (jellyfishing?). Only seen it happening around 25 knots. This gives a weird feeling in the bar. Anybody else? Hopefully at my weight (155 lbs) I only ride it between 14-25 kts max.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:47 am

Yep we did to, about the same wind speed to. Take some tension out of your back lines...increase the back line length in its upper range will help with this. As I said any kite that flies off the front lines like that needs to be carefully trimmed in its upper range.

Robbylion
Rare Poster
Gear: Shinn Luigi North Rebel

Postby Robbylion » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:32 pm

Righto.
With the noticable bar pressure, I thought it flew off the back lines too.

grey 2864
Rare Poster
Style: freeride
Gear: north rebel 2014

Postby grey 2864 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:13 pm

Personally having flown both Evo and the Dice would say the Dice is more stable at the vey top end , if rear lines have not been shortened ie not so jerky and better behaved at the bar , but then again if you tighten the back lines by one knot under the floats and they are not so slack on the back lines on the Dice the wing tips close up pinch near the very top end of its wind range , and the kite requires more trimming , personally felt back lines when kite at bottom end of its wind range to slack on the Dice, unless shortened by one knot under the floats prefer the Evo on its stock settings has greater bar pressure and flies with more back line tension but again have too say they are two completely different kites and not really comparable , West Ozzy is right if the back lines were slightly slacker the top end on the Evo would definitely be better and less jerky at the bar at the upper end after all the canopy should be more stable after all the Evo has five struts not 3 , but then again I have been flying the Rebel for years and prefer that style of kite just wanted to leave the five lines behind , but you will never match the rock solid stability of the Rebel at it top end or its jumping / hangtime , but I think the Evo is as close as I will get at the moment

stefarius
Medium Poster
Local Beach: ijsselmeer
Style: freeride, wave, foil
Gear: all kind

Postby stefarius » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:59 pm

Yes I had also a Fuse 2013, I was to heavy for this one.
Tested the Dice, Evo 9m and new Neo 9m 2014
The Neo is by far the most compact kite and rigid kite. Its really changed compared to the 2013 Neo. More stable, powerful, quick turning.
Last edited by stefarius on Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

windfreak
Medium Poster

Postby windfreak » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:53 pm

Wow another one in the mix :o as i was considering maybe a 2014 8m evo,9m dice,and now a 8 or 9m neo ...Which one you think as biggest windrange ,best high end,best low end,best lift ,best drift ,better upwind etc.i weight about 220 pds ,wanted this kite to go sometimes in the 30 ,35 knots , stable, as my hi wind kite,for now . With also good low end,for surfing and boosting ,at times .Last question what bar did you use ,22 or 24 m,i was planning buying a 22m,having already a 24m for my 2013 12m evo. TOOOOO MUCH CHOICE HELP ME ! Thanks :thumb: the FREAK.!

xantos
Rare Poster

Postby xantos » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:26 pm

For what it is worth... I am 210 and had my 7m dice out for the first time the other in solid 42-46 mph winds. It handled the high end flawlessly. Kite behaved very well with no distortion or flapping around. It boosted very well, but given the wind most kites would. I have been a long time rebel rider and I can take a rebel out way over powered with 100% confidence. I was very pleasantly surprised that I did not feel much difference in terms of confidence while on the dice.

I don't have any experience with the eve or neo, but loved how light the dice felt and how small it packs up compared to rebels. I am also loving the simplicity of the 4 line bar.

stefarius
Medium Poster
Local Beach: ijsselmeer
Style: freeride, wave, foil
Gear: all kind

Postby stefarius » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:36 pm

@windfreak. Used the 22m.

Low-end (Neo)
High-end (Rebel)
Windrange (Rebel/Evo if you like the biggest high-end, Neo if you need low-end power)
Lift - depends kind of lift gradual (Neo) explosive(Evo/rebel)
Drift - Neo

Talk about the 9m / 10m sizes. I don't know how the smaller sizes behave.

Return to “Kitesurfing”