Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Leeside park - Fort Walton Beach
Gear: Wainman Hawaii
Brand Affiliation: Wainman Hawaii
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Light wind kite testing!

Postby OceanAdventures » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:30 pm

CKite wrote:Ligth wind kiting requires the right equipment and good technique. 12m north evo and 14m Rpm are perfect for light wind conditions and are the ones of our choice. Good technique can be achieved with a quality course given by a certified iko instructor or someone with skills and expirience in teaching.

www.caribbean-kite.com
www.facebook.com/kiteboardingplayadelcarmenmexico
Try and hand a 12m evo to a 200lbs rider in Florida and tell them it's a light wind kite and you might get a weird look... Nothing in the IKO handbook will help you in that situation.

lobodomar
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby lobodomar » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:56 pm

lobodomar wrote:
OceanAdventures wrote:
lobodomar wrote:Oceanadventures,
do you sell all of the brands being tested?
Or just some of them?

Yes we sell all the brands we are testing.

We just finished editing the video today, finishing up the write up to go with it. Hopefully we will have everything up tomorrow.
Are you sure?

No sight of EPIC on your website:
https://www.xlkites.com/page.asp?region=9
?

OceanAdventures
Frequent Poster

Postby OceanAdventures » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:19 pm

lobodomar wrote:
lobodomar wrote:
OceanAdventures wrote:Oceanadventures,
do you sell all of the brands being tested?
Or just some of them?

Yes we sell all the brands we are testing.

We just finished editing the video today, finishing up the write up to go with it. Hopefully we will have everything up tomorrow.
Are you sure?

No sight of EPIC on your website:
https://www.xlkites.com/page.asp?region=9
?
We are working with Dimitri about carrying his kites, but we have to get thru the test first...

Bain
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Bain » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:31 pm

OceanAdventures wrote:
CKite wrote:Ligth wind kiting requires the right equipment and good technique. 12m north evo and 14m Rpm are perfect for light wind conditions and are the ones of our choice. Good technique can be achieved with a quality course given by a certified iko instructor or someone with skills and expirience in teaching.

www.caribbean-kite.com
www.facebook.com/kiteboardingplayadelcarmenmexico
Try and hand a 12m evo to a 200lbs rider in Florida and tell them it's a light wind kite and you might get a weird look... Nothing in the IKO handbook will help you in that situation.
That is hilarious. "The 12 and 14 meter kites that we sell, along with our lessons, are perfect for light wind"

Flysurf77
Medium Poster
Gear: EPIC KITEBOARDING
Brand Affiliation: IKO/PADI/EPIC/WAINMAN

Postby Flysurf77 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:52 pm

How can a 12m kite be considered as a performant light wind kite!?!?!?

jrfiol
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cayo Enrique, La Parguera; Montones Beach, Isabela; Dorado Beach, Dorado.
Favorite Beaches: Not yet.
Style: waverider, freestyle
Gear: Slingshot RPM 10, Darko 135. I also have a Liquid Force Havoc 12 and Rally 14M.

Postby jrfiol » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:27 pm

Flysurf77 wrote:How can a 12m kite be considered as a performant light wind kite!?!?!?
Last monday, I saw a guy launch his 12M Ozone and whip out a hydrofoil (must have been MHL cause they launched right in front of the shack where they manufacture them) and do the most awesome light wind kiting I have ever seen.

He was going upwind to the peak, and then hydro-surfing the waves downwind with no problems.

WHen I grow up, I want to light wind kite just like that, with a 12M.

windfreak
Medium Poster

Postby windfreak » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:24 pm

I own an evo 12m 2013 ,and it s far from a lightwind kite ,this is a good kite ,with good low end,but tooo heavy for lightwinds BUT MAYBE NOT FOR IKO (EXPERTS) :HAHAHAHAHAHA ! :lol:

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:30 pm

Thanks for the review!

The reviewers seemed to be saying that the contra didn't do well upwind, but when I demoed the 15m Contra, I thought it went upwind very well. I tried the Contra 15m back to back with a 2013 Crossbow 16m (a very good upwind, high aspect ratio kite) and I thought they performed about the same in going upwind, but the Contra blew the crossbow away in every other area, especially turning speed. Maybe the rear lines were a little too short on your Cabrinha bar? Or were the other kites just that much better at upwind? Note: I've never liked any Cabrinha kite until I demoed the new Contra so I have no brand loyalty to Cabrinha.

Was the Infinity on the new Epic bar? The lines on the old Epic bar I had stretched like crazy and I could never keep up with tuning. Also, I had demoed the Epic kites several times and they always seemed out of tune and always messing with the knots on the rear lines to get the things to fly right.

OceanAdventures
Frequent Poster

Postby OceanAdventures » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:52 pm

davesails7 wrote:Thanks for the review!

The reviewers seemed to be saying that the contra didn't do well upwind, but when I demoed the 15m Contra, I thought it went upwind very well. I tried the Contra 15m back to back with a 2013 Crossbow 16m (a very good upwind, high aspect ratio kite) and I thought they performed about the same in going upwind, but the Contra blew the crossbow away in every other area, especially turning speed. Maybe the rear lines were a little too short on your Cabrinha bar? Or were the other kites just that much better at upwind? Note: I've never liked any Cabrinha kite until I demoed the new Contra so I have no brand loyalty to Cabrinha.

Was the Infinity on the new Epic bar? The lines on the old Epic bar I had stretched like crazy and I could never keep up with tuning. Also, I had demoed the Epic kites several times and they always seemed out of tune and always messing with the knots on the rear lines to get the things to fly right.
The 15m Contra goes up wind better than the 17m, which is what we tested. A rider my size would only need the 15m.

I want to hold off commenting on the epic until we get the kite back, but yes it was on a new bar.

droffats
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride, Hdrofoil, Waves, Big Air
Gear: Ozone, Ocean Rodeo, Cabrinha, Mystic
Brand Affiliation: www.adventurekiteboarding.com

Postby droffats » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:09 pm

On thing I hear repeated often my personal experience completely disagrees with is, "for X weight rider, the biggest kite you need is size Z".

We sell kites and I've been riding 7+ years (I lost track) and at 155-180 pounds, I've always found a bigger kite got me going earlier. It doesn't matter the brand or the model or the model year. For example I always get going in lighter wind earlier with a 17m Contra over a 15m Contra. I always get going earlier on a 15m Edge over a 13m Edge etc. Ceteris peribus, of course.

- Stafford

Return to “Kitesurfing”