Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Kevin Langeree crowned Red Bull King of the Air

Postby plummet » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:53 am

GO BIG or go home! The higher the better for the king air comp. That's what its about, insane airtime. Sure throw down some tricks. But don't let the tricks reduce your height. I here people say that its not technical to really high. I think that's a load for crap. You need to line all your ducks in an insanely powered row to time a massive jump. Personally I think the guys that were throwing down more "technical" moves at a lower height were compensating for the fact they didn't have the skill and or the kite set up to go really high.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:44 pm

But I think the mixture made it more interesting.
Everyone did their show how they wanted to score and entertain.
The more variety the better it is! :thumb:

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:10 pm

plummet wrote:You need to line all your ducks in an insanely powered row to time a massive jump.
I don't think so. You want a decent kicker as big of a kite as you can hold down good speed and a gust of wind at the right time. I don't think that is technically difficult. Any of the kiters at red bull king of the air can go large. For instance Andries Fourie had one of the largest jumps. It's not a good skill tester.

That's why I think it's important to lessen the importance of height and increase the importance of style.

Flight Time
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Venice Beach
Skyway Bridge North
Style: Freeride
Gear: 12 Epic Screamer
14 Epic Screamer
12 Liquid Force Havoc
16 Cabrinha Switchblade
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Flight Time » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:50 am

So if everyone can jump 25 meters with no skill at all, wouldn't there be 1000+ competitors? Wouldn't the guys at your local spot be jumping and clearing a kiter and his kite idling at 12 o clock? When was the last time you busted a 25 meter jump? No? How about 10 meters? I know I have been lit at near 30 knots on a 12 and hit 10 meters (cranking insane speed and hitting a big wave just right) maybe a dozen or so times in the past several years of kiteboarding, and damned near soiled my boardshorts every time. 10 meters is clearing your average utility pole, to put that in perspective. When I think about clearing an 8 story building, I would not consider that something that is "not technically difficult". Then you have to consider getting back down with your legs unbroken.

Like I said, the whole point of KOTA is height, If the point was megaloops, it would be called KOTM.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:23 pm

If it would have not been an invitational it would have 1000 kiters.
I know many who jump high. Go to Cabarete...all locals jump high! And in those winds the KOTA riders don't jump higher than the locals.

Though, the KOTA riders do know how to jump high, no doubt.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:09 pm

Well I still don't think it's very difficult to boost large (boosting a medium sized jump a light wind is in my humble opinion more challenging than going large in nuking wind) but after these responses I think I am reconsidering my stance. If even kiteboarders with several years of experience are more impressed with the height of the trick than a megaloop, maybe King of the Air is doing it right and concentrating more on height than on tricks.

After all, not like a windsurfer or wakeboarder can do a 20 meter jump, it is good to emphasize what separates us from other water sports.

On the other hand if height is all there is to this sport than parasailing that dumb sport where guys get towed up behind a boat has us beat, so height can't be the sole judge, it has to have some style.

g00se
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby g00se » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:28 pm

edt wrote:
On the other hand if height is all there is to this sport than parasailing that dumb sport where guys get towed up behind a boat has us beat, so height can't be the sole judge, it has to have some style.
There was lots of style and height (and balls) at KOTA.

That's what this event was all about. It was great to see some riders on shorter lines doing more powered megaloops, mixed with others boosting higher with old school tricks.

The riders were there to put on a show, and used their different styles to do that. It's like the freeride sessions you get after all the heats have finished at a freestyle event. Great for spectators.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:07 pm

I also think they have the mix right. I really enjoy seeing massive height, coupled with a simple yet stylish trick and finished off with a buttery soft perfect landing.

I admit the megaloop with rotations + unhooked madness is ballsy and requires skill. But for the most part they land them super hard with an arse check and to me that's a fail.

My scoring would be 70% height 20% landing 10% tricks.

jedi1
Frequent Poster

Postby jedi1 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:08 pm

Flight Time wrote:So if everyone can jump 25 meters with no skill at all, wouldn't there be 1000+ competitors? Wouldn't the guys at your local spot be jumping and clearing a kiter and his kite idling at 12 o clock?
Just go to Cape Town on a windy day and see how many people boost 10 meters and more, even on surfboards. On the other hand 20+ meters is really impressive, watching this live was great and something I will remember for a long time, but what stood out the most for me was the tricks that were risky and that was counted. If it was only height factor, then Lenten would've never reached the final. The one who stood out the most for me though, was Aaron Hadlow with his megaloop KGB's, it was insane.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:11 pm

You guys and girls - have you ever BEEN down there, and seeing live what these guys are capable of ?

Then this "theoretical" (stupid) discussion would change a lot IMO :thumb:

It is NOT only a "jump max" contest, which everyone having watched it live or almost live, knows.

It is an "extreme" event, where high jumps are the goal, but "badass" cool and risky moves are rewarded.

Which is easy to see when you watch - it is EVERYTHING most kitesurfers could ever dream of to watch, in a competition IMO.

Those saying that is it "easy" to jump high ? Think again, or get back into the real world....

It is NOT just about being overpowered and getting a good ramp - it is ALL about skills and experience and being "the one in the moment" that can do it right :rollgrin:

To jump max is also about doing kiteloops, as if you dont slow your horizontal speed relative to the wind down, you WONT go max (but I know almost noone understands this....)

So apart from looking SICK and cool, it has a purpose.

I dont comment much in this thread, but am really appauled by how many who almost think "they can do much better" :(

Get into the real world, and enjoy those who CAN :D

8) Peter

Return to “Kitesurfing”