Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: When to switch to a waist harness

Postby Westozzy » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:08 pm

Agreed. I have a seat harness (well it's a waist harness with a small seat...flying objects) for over powered big boost f*** off or go home sessions...you know the ones where the kite drags your sorry ass down to the water whether you like it or not, then a waist for surfing and freestyle (which is getting proportionally softer with age.... :oops: ).

But most the guys I kite with just use a waist.

But when I'm locked and loaded I like the extra support.

But honestly if the seat works for ya, get a sliding spreader and be done with it.

To consider moving to waist harness has some progressive quality to it is as stupid as the strapless surfboard riders banging on about how this is the technical pinnacle of our sport.

Anyone whose surfed for many years like me must find this slightly amusing.

I used to use a seat with sliding spreader but I like simplicity and in the end just got a waist that I don't put on to tight so it moves around a bit...when riding strapless of course on a SB.

Oh the best waist with with a sliding spreader is the one that fits best...try some.

windtzu
Medium Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby windtzu » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:33 pm

I went back and forth between a waist and seat, for me the boardshort's harness (with a sliding bar) is the way to go. :pirate: From my experience it's the best of both worlds and the most comfortable. Other's say differently: ibid Westozzy. :wink:

:argue: And the debate goes on; pro's, con's...Best advice? Try out different harnesses, including brands and models if you can. Some fit different body shapes better than others.

Flight Time
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Venice Beach
Skyway Bridge North
Style: Freeride
Gear: 12 Epic Screamer
14 Epic Screamer
12 Liquid Force Havoc
16 Cabrinha Switchblade

Postby Flight Time » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:37 pm

Man, if I was going to go with a seat harness, I would sure as hell go for the boardshorts version. I know it's uninformed and vain, but every time I see someone waddling around in a seat harness, the word "diaper" always is the first thought in my mind. Then, because I am imaginative and sick, my mind completes the picture with the little hat and bottle. When the hat is present and they happen to be chugging a bottle of water at the same time... :o

tmcfarla
Frequent Poster

Postby tmcfarla » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:00 pm

I've gone through periods where I've used exclusively each waist, seat, and board short harnesses. I've settled on board-short harnesses(which is really just a minimalist seat harness), and I think for me it is the best compromise. A lot of people bash seat harnesses for a lot of reasons, but their only real downside is fashion. You won't look very cool in a seat harness (but you'll look a lot worse with a waist harness riding up around your armpits...). Which you should use depends on personal preference, riding style, and body shape, and isn't something someone else can answer for you.

If you are comfortable in your harness, don't switch. They only real advantage that waist harnesses offer is that they do give somewhat better mobility. This doesn't really matter if you are riding strapped in, but if you start riding strapless a lot, you may find you prefer the mobility. On the other hand, a waist harness will not offer as much support and I find them to give me a sore back if I sail really powered with them. One big difference that is worth noting is that your spreader bar tends to be much higher on a waist harness, I see this as a big disadvantage, but I've heard people site this reason as why they like waist harnesses. Like I said, personal preference.

If you tend to usually ride over-powered or do big jumps, use a seat harness. If you are usually strapless surfing and mobility is of absolute importance, use a waist harness. If you have back-problems, or are over-weight, a seat harness will likely offer the best support. If you are worried about how dorky you look in a seat harness, find a different sport.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:21 pm

tmcfarla wrote:I've gone through periods where I've used exclusively each waist, seat, and board short harnesses. I've settled on board-short harnesses(which is really just a minimalist seat harness), and I think for me it is the best compromise. A lot of people bash seat harnesses for a lot of reasons, but their only real downside is fashion. You won't look very cool in a seat harness (but you'll look a lot worse with a waist harness riding up around your armpits...). Which you should use depends on personal preference, riding style, and body shape, and isn't something someone else can answer for you.

If you are comfortable in your harness, don't switch. They only real advantage that waist harnesses offer is that they do give somewhat better mobility. This doesn't really matter if you are riding strapped in, but if you start riding strapless a lot, you may find you prefer the mobility. On the other hand, a waist harness will not offer as much support and I find them to give me a sore back if I sail really powered with them. One big difference that is worth noting is that your spreader bar tends to be much higher on a waist harness, I see this as a big disadvantage, but I've heard people site this reason as why they like waist harnesses. Like I said, personal preference.

If you tend to usually ride over-powered or do big jumps, use a seat harness. If you are usually strapless surfing and mobility is of absolute importance, use a waist harness. If you have back-problems, or are over-weight, a seat harness will likely offer the best support. If you are worried about how dorky you look in a seat harness, find a different sport.

I could not agree more... its 75% fashion 25% performance. Everytime I see someone in a waist harness that looks more like chest harness, I just shake my head. To each his own.

Clarencephil
Frequent Poster

Postby Clarencephil » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:29 am

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
Peter_Frank wrote:
dyyylan wrote:theres no point using a seat harness unless you have a bad back or something

switch whenever you feel like it
There is no point using a waist harness, unless you are a smuck wannabee hipster and dont know nothing :naughty:

Keep your seat for as long as you feel like it, or forever 8)

8) Peter

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:40 am

My brother has those board shorts harness thingies...sat too low for me, digs into my hips.

Best compromise I have come across is the flying objects flight control, which is really a deep backed waist harness with a seat attached.

So it's essentially a waist harness that can be kept in place under high loads.

Sometimes I just let the seat hang off and use it as a pure waist harness.

But yeh everyone has their own poison.

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:53 am

if youre going to use a seat harness make sure you get the lifejacket and gojoe to go with it

Flight Time
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Venice Beach
Skyway Bridge North
Gear: 12 Epic Screamer
14 Epic Screamer
12 Liquid Force Havoc
16 Cabrinha Switchblade

Postby Flight Time » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:18 am

dyyylan wrote:if youre going to use a seat harness make sure you get the lifejacket and gojoe to go with it
And a really conspicuous line knife, a CO2 powered life bobber, an air horn, a helmet, and a good luck talisman. :lol:

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:33 am

True, I forgot how hard core you guys are wearing only waist harnesses... :)

Return to “Kitesurfing”