Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

When to switch to a waist harness

Forum for kitesurfers
matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: When to switch to a waist harness

Postby matth » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:54 am

Wearing a pfd/impact is really stupid. What ahole would want flotation when your a half mile from shore,pop a bladder ,and have to swim for 2 hours. And the thought of having a knife when you are surround be lines that can cut you to the bone and drag you to your death is just idiotic...
These same nitwits probably wear their seat belts driving to the beach...unbelievable!!!!!

Flight Time
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Venice Beach
Skyway Bridge North
Gear: 12 Epic Screamer
14 Epic Screamer
12 Liquid Force Havoc
16 Cabrinha Switchblade
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Flight Time » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:12 am

Westozzy wrote:True, I forgot how hard core you guys are wearing only waist harnesses... :)
It's not so much about being core, its about not looking like you are wearing a pre-loaded diaper. Plus, I think there are practical reasons. Many have commented that seat harnesses have low-set hooks. I prefer the hook to be a little higher to shift more of the body's weight toward the bottom end. I believe this helps lend a little stability, tending to make the "down side" stay down in a jump, so if you lose the bar, you won't tend to land that giant boost on your head.

But hey, on another note, I have been thinking of a new line of protection for kiteboarders.. Nobody thinks about their teeth while they are kiteboarding. Have you ever landed a big jump a little too hard and had your teeth smack together? This could lead to chipped or broken teeth. I have been thinking about a new line of dental protector for kiteboarders. Our prototypes will be hitting the shelves this summer, and you should rush down to the shop and get one while supplies last!
Attachments
Pacifier.jpg

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:39 am

Most of us diaper wearing fools have no teeth but thanks for thinking of our safety. A mature act of kindness indeed!!!!

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:45 am

Funny shit flight time.

Well in summary from someone who uses both (but mainly waist), I see certain riding styles, conditions and indeed the rider themselves, are factors... it all depends.

loco4viento
Very Frequent Poster

Postby loco4viento » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:49 am

Westozzy wrote:Funny shit flight time.

Well in summary from someone who uses both (but mainly waist), I see certain riding styles, conditions and indeed the rider themselves, are factors... it all depends.
Depends....great double meaning.

(In the USA that's a brand of diaper for adults)

matth
Very Frequent Poster

Postby matth » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:33 pm

loco4viento wrote:
Westozzy wrote:Funny shit flight time.

Depends....great double meaning.

(In the USA that's a brand of diaper for adults)
I always thought the people from Pampas should call their adult diapers Grampas. just makes sense :lol:

windtzu
Medium Poster

Postby windtzu » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:35 pm

The ladies prefer boardshorts harnesses 8)

...it even looks "ok" with my drysuit, well almost
Attachments
1053311_10200290245886261_2038865321_o.jpg

Thieu
Rare Poster

Postby Thieu » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:06 pm

Flight Time wrote:It's not so much about being core, its about not looking like you are wearing a pre-loaded diaper. Plus, I think there are practical reasons.
Funny how a relatively new sport build his own culture from such mysterious facts. So seat harness are "not cool" and "break b*lls".

I hope for paragliders, climbers, base jumpers, and many others; that seat harness are more considered as "fashionable". Go make a parachute jump with a waist harness, it will be soo cool and core!! Taken from facts!!

Kiteboarding might be the only sport (needs to be verified) where the body is suspended ; and doesn't use a seat harness in most common usage.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:49 pm

when you want to give up on the hemorrhoid cream

windtzu
Medium Poster

Postby windtzu » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:14 am

I agree Thieu. Go with what works best for you. Each has it's own pro's and con's. If your basing your harness decision on whether or not you're "accepted" in the kite community, perhaps it's time for a self esteem workshop. :allbegood:

Most of the girl's I know use a seat "diaper" harness. I'm sure they never think about whether or not it's cool. They just want what works best for them personally.

I never liked the feel of the "diaper" seat. But I also didn't care for the occasional downside of the waist harness - iron maiden squeeze when body dragging when it rode up. Boardshort's sometimes can "dig in" after a long session, as Westozzy experienced. Must be his boney hips - I'm teasing you W. :wink:

I found wearing neoprene shorts underneath remedied the rubbing issue. Most other times I'm wearing a wetsuit of some sort in any case.

Return to “Kitesurfing”