jimmyck
Medium Poster
Gear: Naish Parks
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Lou wainman quits wainman Hawaii

Postby jimmyck » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:13 pm

Oldnbroken wrote:I heard that the first batch of Maniac kites sold were awful, and they scrambled to make the second batch fly better.
I would think after four years, they could make a C kite that flew well.
I hope something good comes of this, because their kites are good and a bit different than any other, their Joke is also unique in design, would hate to see that all go away.
hey OB - where do you get your info on the Maniac kite being awful? have you ridden the Maniac? i have actually tried the Maniac and know a few hardcore wakestyle riders using the kite and everyone is stoked. Do you know Lou, Bertrand, Tuva and Hannah personally? You seem to be providing some in-depth company info and your posts on this forum seems like you are affiliated with Epic maybe? I think its only fair to get the full story - sad that so many people like yourself gets a kick out of other companies going through issues and just jumping to conclusions. so many kite companies go through changes (look at Slingshot and all their main riders changing teams) and riders (especially older ones) go after mo money as their days are numbered. I don't ride WH but think they are an exciting brand and look forward to what they come up with. :thumb:

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:27 pm

Jimmy-
Think you're confused, I'm not happy Wainman is having problems, quite the contrary.
I bought Blunt and Joke twintips, Big Mama, Boss, Smoke, and Gypsy kites, still own the Mama, a nice new 2013 Smoke and the Joke TT.
The information I got on the first batch of Maniac kites, came from a Wainman dealer who visits WH every year and sometimes several times per year, I would guess he has it straight, the Maniac kites that you refer to could be from a second or third run with changes, just surprised they put out a bad first batch after all this time in development.
What I would like to see, is companies staying loyal to the kiters that they started their companies with, instead of what happened with Shannon Best and Lou Wainman and others before.
I think Wainman leaving the company that bears his name, is a little different than some of the pros on the Slingshot team going to Best for more money, Tony Logosz is still at Slingshot.
What is happening at Wainman seems a shame, don't know the whole story, I'm sure few people do, but it does not look good, hopefully Lou Wainman and the majority members can work something out.
You misunderstand my intentions, but that's nothing new.
Last edited by L0KI on Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.

coleman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby coleman » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:36 pm

jimmyck wrote: I think its only fair to get the full story - sad that so many people like yourself gets a kick out of other companies going through issues and just jumping to conclusions.
[/quote]

jimmyck,

that's pretty off base if you ask me. OnB, like myself, are concerned customers. i think we both really enjoy these kites and hope nothing happens to the company, either financially tanking or drastically changing the gear.

i for one am voicing certain concerns and maybe it sounds like i am jumping to conclusions, but really i am just putting some thoughts/possibilities out there as i see it. certainly not taking any pleasure in the possibility of something happing to WH that may negatively affect the products or people involved.

but when you see a mass exodus like this, it causes some real concern with me owing to the fact that i dont wish to ride anything else. the kites are perfect for my tastes.

soul19
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Prov
Favorite Beaches: Prov
little current
westbay
Style: try not to drown style
Gear: Whatever I own at the time....
Brand Affiliation: hook a brother up!!!

Postby soul19 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:11 am

I loved the wainman kites that I had and was sad to see them go (first generation rabbits). It has and will always be the company that I associated with being the epitome of the laid back lifestyle that so many companies try to emulate. It is a shame that Lou is no longer affiliated with a company that bears his name but it will take time to see where the direction of this company is headed! The one thing that most will have to come to terms with is that it will no longer be the same (not that change is a bad thing and this may turn into a more dominate company in the long run). I was shocked to see certain team riders leave the Rabbit gang but I am sure that others will be along to fill in the current vacancies. I, for one, hope that both Lou and WH can find happiness in the directions that choose to follow. Either way it is going to be interesting to see what unfolds and I am certain that with time the story will eventually make it out to the kiting community.

James

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:41 am

Oldnbroken wrote:Jimmy-
Think you are confused
You misunderstand my intentions, but that is nothing new around here.
:bravo: Good stuff
Time to have the dog jump back again on the psychiatrist couch for a session

rtz
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 75kg
Favorite Beaches: OBX
SPI
Style: Freeride
Gear: SlingShot, Switch.

Postby rtz » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:46 am

Who is the kite designer for Wainman kites?

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby L0KI » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:45 am

SupaEZ wrote: :bravo: Good stuff
Time to have the dog jump back again on the psychiatrist couch for a session
Let's try to respect Toby's request and ignore each other.
Nobody wants to watch you passive aggressively attack me then watch me bite a chunk off your backside again.
That has gotten a bit old.
Find somebody else to play with. :thumb:

samsam
Rare Poster
Gear: North Wainmann

Postby samsam » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:02 am

What i am concerned about is that no one from Wainman posted a response yet. I am sure they are following this topic.

Sam

sijandy
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freestyle
Gear: kites and boards

Postby sijandy » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:35 am

samsam wrote:What i am concerned about is that no one from Wainman posted a response yet. I am sure they are following this topic.

Sam
err probably cos they're too busy trying to run a company and making money rather than worrying about what bullshit assumptions a group of keyboard warriors are bickering over on some obscure thread in a internet forum.

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave

Postby NYKiter » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:03 am

samsam wrote:What i am concerned about is that no one from Wainman posted a response yet. I am sure they are following this topic.

Sam
Precisely....

of course they are reading these closely....

:thumb:
Last edited by NYKiter on Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Kitesurfing”