GregWoj
Medium Poster
Gear: none
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Bar Length Question

Postby GregWoj » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:05 pm

Hi All... Intermediate here progressing nicely...

Question on bar lengths. What impact performance wise does a "wide" bar have on a kite that may be "too small" for the bar length. For example, I ride my 11m Cab SB (2013) most of the time but it has a 55cm bar with it. What would be the potential performance difference by using a bar that was 48cm on the same 11m sized kite? Faster / snappier turns? What is the vice versa affect? Say... using a 55cm bar on a 8m kite?

Thanks in advance

tr3v
Frequent Poster
Gear: BWS, CSA Surfboards, Sirocco

Re: Bar Length Question

Postby tr3v » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:05 pm

Generally speaking... the wider the bar, the more responsive it is as it can pull more of the rear lines than with a narrower bar. Smaller kites are more responsive than larger kites so narrower bars are used to reduce the "sensitivity".

For the same reason, we keep our hands in the centre of the bar to avoid sudden unwanted kite movement when learning/executing many tricks.

PS. I meant to add that this comes down to riding style, personal preference and conditions.

SLiiCK
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Pembrey South Wales
Favorite Beaches: Exmouth
Pembrey
Fuerteventura
Cape Verde Ponta Preta
Hayle
Style: All
Gear: Naish/F One/Slingshot/Airush/Eclipse

Postby SLiiCK » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:14 pm

Hi
If you are using a 48cm bar say on your 11m instead of using your 55cm it will make the kite turn slower it will not be as responsive as the larger bar vice versa if you use a larger bar on a smaller kite it will make the kite quicker than using the smaller bar eg much more responsive to smaller movements of the bar,best to stick to the recommended size bar for kite the only times I do change my bar size if I have a kite that is too fast for the recommended bar size I will drop down a bar size or two, on the other hand if my kite is to slow for the bar I am using and what it to fly quicker I will go up a bar size. Hope this helps.
Cheers Steve

ShaveTheWhales
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Local Beach: West Straya Oz
Style: Fun with friends :) and being helpful :)
Gear: Lightwind, 11m Sonic 3, OR Flite, slingshot Dwarf craft foil board, Sab foil
Medium Wind, 12m OR Flite, 8 SouL, TT C6 board, Crazyfly Ltd, Shinn Monk, Wave board
Strong / Gnarly Wind, 8m SouL, 8m XR Core, C6 board
All with custom moded bars
Brand Affiliation: Anything that jumps well & fun to fly. Brand Bitch to none :)

Postby ShaveTheWhales » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:31 pm

In others words
Slow pig
Fast pig
Spider pig - doh ;)

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:08 am

a bigger bar may make the kite behave a little weird, though depending on the kite design. ive flown kites with too big a bar, and it can make them stall out if they try to turn faster than they can fly forward

i always go with the manufacturers recommended bar, you know it is tested and works well

GregWoj
Medium Poster
Gear: none

Postby GregWoj » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:08 am

Great thanks guys... As im advancing, im getting more comfortable in higher wind conditions. Therefore, Im looking into quivering down to include an 8m kite on high wind days. My dilemma, from a $$ perspective, is that I don't want to have to buy a new bar with an 8m kite and was hoping to leverage my 55cm Cab Bar (2013) and my Core Sensor Bar (45-52cm adjustable... I have a 17m XR3 for LW days). Im hoping I can just adjust my Core bar down to 45cm and it should work fine with an 8m of any brand kite that I ultimately choose. However, to Dylan's point, I may be forced into a Core XR3 8m. Which is fine... Im very happy with my XR3 17.

bnthere
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island and South Texas USA

Hood River and the Columbia River Gorge USA
Favorite Beaches: South Padre Island Texas: year round the best flatwater and fall - winter - spring fun wave riding as well.
Style: all styles of kite riding
Gear: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Brand Affiliation: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Seadoo
Headzone

Postby bnthere » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:22 am

50cm is pretty solid on everything

Flight Time
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Venice Beach
Skyway Bridge North
Style: Freeride
Gear: 12 Epic Screamer
14 Epic Screamer
12 Liquid Force Havoc
16 Cabrinha Switchblade

Postby Flight Time » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:18 am

dyyylan wrote:a bigger bar may make the kite behave a little weird, though depending on the kite design. ive flown kites with too big a bar, and it can make them stall out if they try to turn faster than they can fly forward

i always go with the manufacturers recommended bar, you know it is tested and works well
+1 on that, I have flown kites that will wrinkle the leading edge and distort if you turn them too fast, almost as if they didn't have enough pressure in the leading edge.

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:04 pm

its worth mentioning though you can you use a big bar on anything, as long as you know fast you can turn the kite, you will get used to it pretty quick. its still not ideal but it will work until you can afford to get a different bar

William Munney
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: West Meadow, GSB
Gear: North X-Ride, Airush Sector 60, North Rebels, 6m, 7m, 9m, 12m, 16m

Postby William Munney » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:56 am

I use the same size bar on everything from 6m to 16. Probably not ideal, but you adjust your technique.

Return to “Kitesurfing”