Forum for all hooked tricks
NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?
Has thanked: 0

Re: Custom Airstyle Handlebar Developement - CNC production

Postby NorCalNomad » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:42 am

It's a piece of bent alum. with some foam rubber around it, what's so amazing / needing so many pages? Not to be a duche but this is a project that would take a few hours + a home depot.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:48 am

You are missing the passion for it !

Macisback
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kahuna Surf House, Kiti, Larnaca
Favorite Beaches: Kahuna Surf House, Les Dauphins, Soma Bay, Prasonissi, Boracay, Tarifa, Sotavento
Style: Airstyle, Hydrofoil, Wave
Gear: Naish, North & Zeeko Kites, Flysurfer and RL Boards, Zeeko and Iero Hydrofoils
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby Macisback » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:55 am

He Buell and Toby!

Great news :-)

@Buell, Toby has got already new v2 handles that are 1cm lower and 1cm less wide. He also has them in 8mm alloy with completely rounded edges.

He has two versions: One with foam cover, glued with epoxy and one with foam cover (with superglue) and a grip tape on top.

So, I guess the next version will be exactly as you want it - no square feeling on the handlegrip, reight measurements.
And if foam is to slippery, you can on top of it attach grip cover (semi sticky tennis grip tape, waterproof rubber).

As soon as I have Tobys feedback, we will produce v3 Prototype, maybe that will be the final product already :-)

@North Bars/Hooks/Miniloops - lets first see what North comes up with soon (I guess they and others have mini loops in the make again)

If not, we create an own universal microloop/minihook.

Of course there is also the individual grabrails to come (still struggling with finding the right EPDM)

@NorCalNomad: As far as I can see, pages are free on kiteforum? :-) And I am sorry I have to correct you, alloy at 8mm you cant just bend the usual way, you also cant buy airplane alloy in a home depot. You need special machinery and heat at exactly the right temperature. As well as the machines to take off the edges and round them, then polish the alloy.

Also the foam covers are not available at a home depot, neither is the epoxy. Last but not least, the gear to inject the glue is rather specific.

Anyhow - it is a project of enthusiastic Kitesurfers, with the aim to get the gear we need, as it is currently not available on the market :-)

The many inquiries (just from this post) when the Leocustom T-Handles (thats the name we chose) will finally be available, if we also produce Grabrails and Microloops/hooks talk an own language.

But at the end of the day - whatever suits you and whatever happpens, just get out there kiting! :-)

Macisback
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Kahuna Surf House, Les Dauphins, Soma Bay, Prasonissi, Boracay, Tarifa, Sotavento
Gear: Naish, North & Zeeko Kites, Flysurfer and RL Boards, Zeeko and Iero Hydrofoils

Postby Macisback » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:03 am

This is the Leocustoms logo the T-Handles will have on the side, 1mm embossed into the foam
:-)
Attachments
leocustoms logo.jpg

s1buell_wl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby s1buell_wl » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:08 pm

@NorCalNomad
Oh one more thing can you point out the nearest Home Depo in Vitoria Brazil. I'm having a bitch of a time finding it......

@Macisback

Crazy how long it takes to get stuff to Brazil eh? Most time things just never show up they just vanish. I was starting to think the handle would do the same. Is North actually working on some new mirco loops?

I have the North Bar jigged to work on the Ozone its not the best setup but it works. I dont trust that North is working on this. Unless one of you guys has talked to a North Rep?

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Re: Custom Airstyle T-Handle Developement

Postby Toby » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:24 pm

I have a ML proto from North.

Works ok. but not like the old version. needs some adjustments.

I still think an universal ML is the way to go. If it can be added to any bar, this is what we all would want and need.

It has to work as good as the old North bar, since this is so quick and easy in and out.
The North proto misses several times the hook...you have to use more attention to hook it in.
Easier with old bar.

I think for the loop it is easy done with a velcro do go around the bar. easy to install and replace.
The hook will be the problem, but actually it needs just to sit above the QR on the depower.
It somehow needs to sit straight on it, so it always has the right angle to the loop.

I hope to test the handles tomorrow :-)

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:10 pm

I tested the new handles yesterday.

The size is fine, I could do all my tricks with it. Will test it more the next days to come for a final confirmation, since winds where not that perfect to try for a longer time.

The extra grip tape on one of the handles is too slippery. Better are the ones for tennis...every tennis store has them.

The normal grip is much better and the edges of the handle are smooth, so you won't get hurt.

Should be ok for the majority of people. And everyone can still customize the grip.
On my former handle I use old bike tire tube and then tennis grip tape on top. Pretty thick, but stiff and nothing moves.

The alloy looks thick and indestructible...guess that one I will never be able to break.

So you buy it once and it will last forever. Worth the money for sure!

Great job Markus!!! :thumb:

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:12 pm

one question:

do all boards have the same distance of handle holes? Or do they vary?

Macisback
Frequent Poster

Postby Macisback » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:28 pm

That is great news again!

I am super happy that the thicker foam cover in combination with the 8mm rounded alloy feels good and is not too slippery.

My biggest worry was that we have to use grip tape on top and that would have made the product look a bit awkward.

So basically I will now wait for your next detailled feedback, take your time.

Then I will get produced a few handles in a final version.
If you give me the go, we gonna start taking orders.

But dear Airstylers, please remember, this is not intended to make anyone money, its just to supply people with a product they need. I dont expect high quantities, they are custom made piece by piece.

If everyone is happy with the T-handles we can move on to the EPDM custom rails, maybe later to the alloy/velcro microloop/hook.

I have no intention to ever come up with colourfoul fancy Leocustoms products, all I want for the community is heavy duty, indestructable, everlasting and safe products.

If they look classy too, fine.

I think the polished alloy, with the right stainless steel M6 screws with flat heads, the black foam and the Leocustoms logo embossed will look quite nice. So will the black epdm rails.

And if we go to the trouble of creating microloops/hooks they will be once more made in alloy (the hook - airplane alloy, CNC production) and black (Velcro, rope, PU cover pipe).

About the inserts on boards: So far I have only seen boards that use the same distance. Thats the reason why you can buy any kind of handle for any kind of board.
If there is a demand for different measures, that can be easily done - as each handle is a custommade one.

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?

Postby NorCalNomad » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:30 pm

Well cool DIY passion regardless. Carry on with your old school antics :P

Return to “Airstyle”