Rare Poster
Gear: New
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Buying Gears For The First Time

Postby LiveFreeOrDie » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:31 pm

Hi,

I am new to the sport. I am currently planning to buy gears for the first time. Been looking and researching for 2 weeks now. I have a budget and looking for value and not so much the brand. Here is my list of $ amount I am planning to spend for each. Recommendations or thoughts will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!

Wetsuit - $200

Kite - $800

Bar - $300

Harness - $150

Board - $250

LifeVest - $100

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Re: Buying Gears For The First Time

Postby dyyylan » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:10 pm

Looks good. You might be able to get a kite + bar for under 800, it just depends on the condition and brand of what you're getting. but that's a good number to start from though. life jacket is not needed, so you can save another $100 there

also, take lessons before you buy anything. your instructor should have valuable insight on what size kite you should start with for your weight and the conditions of your spot. looking at wind graphs is one thing but the experience of someone who has been there for a few years is far more valuable

LiveFreeOrDie
Rare Poster
Gear: New

Postby LiveFreeOrDie » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:49 pm

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I am planning to take lessons. I wanna buy the gears first so I can use it during my lessons. Been reading and watching lots of how-to instructional videos. I am not a very good swimmer. I was think of not a full life jacket but a comp vest....kite crash in water every bit of flotation will help.

The average wind condition of my area average around 12kn -20kn....for my 165-170lbs I am looking at a 12m or 13m. I know I need a twin and good upwind ability but still not sure the exact size.

I know this forum probably has more experiences then instructors.....just wanna see what some of the members think.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:05 pm

looks pretty much right

NHKitesurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: MA/NH
Gear: Switch & Cabrinha

Postby NHKitesurfer » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:36 am

If you are from the 603 you may need a life vest if you are just starting out. The limited kite spots we have here can be quite dangerous with rip currents and sometimes shifty winds which go offshore (more likely to see gusts and lulls though) and outgoing tides.

pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Gera Lario, Como Lake, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Flysurfer Speed 5 21, Flysurfer Sonic 3 13
Shinn Bronq 136x42, Shinn Bronq XL

Postby pmaggie » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:56 am

My personal advice: first take lessons, then buy your gears, expecially the kite. In your first season, you will for sure change your mind many times, because the learning curve is fast and what you think it fits your needs today won't be the same in a month or two. In the beginning, the only thing everyone is concerned about is "relaunch". After some session, you'll understand you actually can relaunch quite any all round kite, and it's time for the next problem: "upwind". But after some more sessions you'll understand you actually can ride upwind, no matter the model of the kite or of the board, it's only a matter of riding the right size in the right wind. Then you will try your first jumps and transitions and you will begin to develop your riding style. This will probably be the right time to choose your gears, because you will not be "very" experienced but the riding skills you achieved will allow you to understand what's best for your style, skills, spot conditions and so on.
Last edited by pmaggie on Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

kitewise
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Ct., Fla.,Aruba, OBX
Favorite Beaches: Pompano beach Fla.
LongbeachPark Stratford, Ct.
Boa Grande Aruba
OBX for sure
Gear: EPIC screamer and Renegade
EPIC DROID
BEST Thruster
Brand Affiliation: EPIC

Postby kitewise » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:17 pm

LiveFreeOrDie wrote:Thanks for the reply.

Yes I am planning to take lessons. I wanna buy the gears first so I can use it during my lessons. Been reading and watching lots of how-to instructional videos. I am not a very good swimmer. I was think of not a full life jacket but a comp vest....kite crash in water every bit of flotation will help.

The average wind condition of my area average around 12kn -20kn....for my 165-170lbs I am looking at a 12m or 13m. I know I need a twin and good upwind ability but still not sure the exact size.

I know this forum probably has more experiences then instructors.....just wanna see what some of the members think.
Here we go again............

Like many before you..... Take the lessons first. I guaranty you that you will learn something that will change your mind bat what Yu should have bought...How is is possible to make any intelligent decisions without ever having flown a kite? Maybe you'll find that the waist harness you bought should have been a seat harness.
Maybe you'll find out that the. 7 yr old hellfish you bought was a total disaster? Maybe you'll buy a surfing wetsuit when you really need something with thicker arms. Lots to learn before you start spending your hard earned money. I'm just sayin.

Return to “Kitesurfing”