Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Just back from Cabarete - Is it really kite-heaven?

Forum for kitesurfers
Vangelis
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Vangelis » Fri Aug 16, 2002 4:59 pm

Well what can I say? Just came back from 10 days in Cabarete and what everyone says is true. It is kite-heaven!!! Winds were blowing everyday, starting on my Toro 16m, later on 12m X2, and occasionally on 9.1 Mach-1. My X-Shooter 144 is a hero!
The water is warmer than a bathtub, it gets crowded, but just go further out and there are no worries, the water is choppy, but flat through the reef and big swells out.
The food is fantastic and inexpensive (ok a few of us got a stomach flu for a couple of days but we needed the break anyway - right).
People are generally ok, but definetely not the friendliest cookies out there. Don't expect the Kailua smiles and hugs of friendship :smile:

I want to specially thank Marina, Stefan and their crew (Kim, John, Thomas)for making it so fun for us. Can't wait to get back.

Now it's time to check some Mexican spots.... Will get back with a report in 2-3 weeks. Cabarete we will be back!

chirojoseph
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: All of Quintana Roo Mexico
Style: wave kite, wave FOIL kite
Gear: zeeko, Shinn, Fone, SShot, Naish, AXIS surfboards
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby chirojoseph » Fri Aug 16, 2002 7:42 pm

come visit us south of Cancun in the Yucatan...but bring a BIG kite cause we are lucky to get 15 knots this time of year...we usually ride the wind that comes before the storm and pack up when the thunder begins to rumble...it gets better in October..maybe you should wait till then.

Royce
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Royce » Sun Aug 18, 2002 3:24 pm

Now just think.... there are over thirty other islands that are ( in my opiion) at least as nice as Cabarette for kitesurfing ( and I guarantee) less crowded. Watch the Carribean grow for our sport...year round. Cabarette has the great setup and infrastructure but there are several islands chomping at the bit with much more diversity...

waterman_antigua
Rare Poster

Postby waterman_antigua » Mon Aug 19, 2002 1:22 am

One of those uncrowded places in the Caribbean is Antigua (for the mean time). It has been blowing all summer here with only five guys out on a crowded day. Including our local pro talent Andre Phillip. Come check it out.

Nik

marina
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Central Coast, California
Favorite Beaches: Central Coast, California
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Ventana, Mexico
Oregon Coast
Baja Pacific Side
Peru
Style: waves, jumping and wiggling
Gear: mixed
Brand Affiliation: mixed

Postby marina » Mon Aug 19, 2002 10:30 am

Cabarete (Kite Beach) can get crowded when everybody INSISTS on kiting in one area because of convenience, ego and ???. If one goes downwind 50 meters, it's free sailing. Ditto 200mupwind to Bozo, far west end of Cabarete Bay. Ditto out past the reef Kite Beach. Experienced kitesurfers can also kitesurf in Puerta Plata, La Boca, Playa Grande, Las Terrenas, Las Galleras, Samana, Monte Cristi, Salina and a number of yet to be discovered places on this ISLAND. 4 of us just did an amazing downwinder North of La Boca (starting near the town of Gasper Hernandez) and it was phenomenally FUN, with nobody but our little group, the sea turtles and enthusiastic locals cheering us on.

have fun riding,
Marina

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 19, 2002 1:04 pm

I've been to Cabarete. It's reasonably priced and easy to access.

How about Antigua? Isn't it a lot more expensive for rooms and meals? Nik maybe you could point out some comparisons.

It would be nice to know about some of those island alternatives.

Andres_Santacruz
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: All Mexico: Laguna de Tecocomulco, Hidalgo. Acapulco, Guerrero. Boca del Rio, Veracruz.
Favorite Beaches: Progreso, Yucatan. El Revolcadero, Acapulco, Guerrero. La Ventana, Baja California Sur, Mexico. Ilho do Guajiru, Ceara, Brazil.
Style: Big Air and waves and freestyle.
Gear: Ozone Kites: Reo V3 8m, Edge V9 8m, C4 2015 10m, Edge V9 13m, Chrono V3 15m, Ozone Zephyr V5 17m. Core XR5 10m.
Boards: Fone Acid 132 2016, ASP NZ Stealth Custom 135, Axis Limited 140 2018, Axis Ultra 144 2015,Axis New Wave 5'8" Surf, Fone Mitu 5'4 2017 Surf, Camet Custom 139 Foilboard and Alpine Foil Access V3 Foil, Naish Alaia Strapless
Brand Affiliation: I sell Ozone,Core,Slingshot,Naish,F-ONE,Crazy Fly,Axis,Mystic,Manera,Pro-Limit & Dakine.

Postby Andres_Santacruz » Mon Aug 19, 2002 4:39 pm

Well,
Just went to acapulco this weekend, and it was awesome! Saturday, 15-24 knots constant cross shore wind, with big waves. Sunday, smaller waves, and about 15-19 knots. Used my loose AX 160 and my warrior 9.3 and really loved the combination, the loose board RIPS upwind, I have never pointed higher upwind in my life, my friends were on airblasts, slingshot fuels, co2, north toro, and free air, using litewave designs, pickleforks, and drake boards. AWEsome session, landed my first roll, did some huge jumps, just awesome, I am so stoked, and sore.
WEll, come down to acapulco anytime you want, there was 10 kilometers of open beaches, with only 6 of us kitesurfing. Videos and pictures soon to come, will let you guys know.
CHirojoe, ya me hiciste el deposito?
Saludos de Mexico,
Andres Santacruz

Return to “Kitesurfing”