Been thanked: 0

Re: Kiter Vs Fisherman

Postby danglerdog » Fri May 02, 2014 6:44 am

I'd say definitly yellow vest guy caused the bridle wrap. :angryfire:

bnthere
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island and South Texas USA

Hood River and the Columbia River Gorge USA
Favorite Beaches: South Padre Island Texas: year round the best flatwater and fall - winter - spring fun wave riding as well.
Style: all styles of kite riding
Gear: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Brand Affiliation: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Seadoo
Headzone
Has thanked: 0

Postby bnthere » Sat May 03, 2014 6:02 am

it is no ones fault but the person attached to the out of control kite who failed to use their leash system to disable it, or do it by hand in the immense amount of time there was to take care of that before screwing up other peoples day.

danglerdog
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby danglerdog » Sat May 03, 2014 9:42 am

bnthere wrote:it is no ones fault but the person attached to the out of control kite who failed to use their leash system to disable it, or do it by hand in the immense amount of time there was to take care of that before screwing up other peoples day.
DITTO!!!!! hANDLE IT YOURSELF DUDE! INSTEAD OF DEPENDING ON NON KITERS TO PULL UR SHAT OUT OF THE FIRE.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby matth » Sat May 03, 2014 12:50 pm

I use my safety to land all the time when a reliable kiter is not around to land me. I put my kite down on the edge and then push the trigger. Kite flips once down wind and lands face down , unhook, drop bar, and walk up center line. If its clean wind , I will self land with anchor.
Getting used to using your safety is very important IMO. Many kiters never use their system and develop the muscle memory that can save your butt in a bad situation.

Looks like he did hit his safety, but something got wrapped. Two line flags are not the best.
Bottom line ,Kiter is 100% responsible , I hope he did the right thing and paid for all damages and apologized to the fishermen. Your kite ,your responsibility.

bnthere
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island and South Texas USA

Hood River and the Columbia River Gorge USA
Favorite Beaches: South Padre Island Texas: year round the best flatwater and fall - winter - spring fun wave riding as well.
Style: all styles of kite riding
Gear: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Brand Affiliation: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Seadoo
Headzone

Postby bnthere » Sat May 03, 2014 4:40 pm

it is hard to tell if he had released onto the leash or not. it does look like he did. it would not be the first time a double centerline leash has failed to disable a kite with a big wingtip tangle. that is a tough situation, letting the whole thing go might have been worse for the people downwind.

whether that is what happened in this case or not, that is one of the main reasons we don't use or recommend double centerline leash systems in our school. we have seen them fail way too many times because of things like big wingtip wraps that a single centerline leash will drop no problem.

Return to “Kitesurfing”