Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Why do some windsurfers have such thin skin?

Forum for kitesurfers
matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd
Brand Affiliation: None

Why do some windsurfers have such thin skin?

Postby matth » Thu May 15, 2014 8:22 pm

I have been kiting for two years and love it, for many reasons. I have been windsurfing for 15 and still love the feeling windsurfing delivers, I have kept all my gear, and will WS 10 to 15 times this year. That being said I am wondering if anyone else has experienced the same reaction from some WS when you mention kiting. They seem to feel threatened and get very defensive just by the simple mention of kite surfing. Typical responses are , you only want to do that because you are too lazy to get better at WS, or its easy and any one can learn in a weekend, which is complete bullshit. Yes you can get up and go in a weekend but you can ride for ten years and not master all the tricks and different disciplines of kiting. There is plenty to learn and for us working class fools who can only sneak out 1, 2. maybe 3 times a week , I do not see myself getting bored anytime soon.
And why the hell is being able to progress faster in kiting a bad thing ???
I have watched windsurfing friends spend years trying to perfect a move that is extremely hard to do but looks like nothing special to anyone who does not know what's going on.
I guess I just do not understand the hostility, maybe others have opinions.

s1buell_wl
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Re: Why do some windsurfers have such thin skin?

Postby s1buell_wl » Thu May 15, 2014 8:39 pm

For sure!

In North Brazil there is a location call Jericoacoara Brazil (Toby knows the place) there is a wind surfer group there that has declared the point where the wind and waves are perfect as "out of bounds" for kites

I can never understand people like this.... Its a sport everyone has the same right no matter what the color of their gear!!!!

Grow up for gods sake!

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Thu May 15, 2014 8:46 pm

Because they spend so much on equipment and the vehicles to pull it around and all the storage space they need to store it they cannot afford a thicker wetsuit... so really they are just poor.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Thu May 15, 2014 9:32 pm

Haters are gona hate!

I have seen it in every sport I have done.

shortboards don't like the longboarders, longboards don't like the boogy boarders,everyone doesn't like the guys on sups.

downhill bikers are better than cross country riders and dirt jumpers are better than the lot and bmx is just gay.

Even within kitesurfing theres the wake crew who think they are the hardcore, then there's the wave kiters looking down their nose at the TT riders. Hell the strapless guys snub the strapped dudes, Airstyle is uncool.....god forbid anyone that likes an old fashed boost!...

Perhaps its peoples natural tendancy to think what ever they are doing is better than what the next guy does.

Dan Glyaire
Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby Dan Glyaire » Thu May 15, 2014 9:55 pm

matth wrote: I have watched windsurfing friends spend years trying to perfect a move that is extremely hard to do but looks like nothing special to anyone who does not know what's going on.
as a windsurfer thats kited since '99, and i have to say, windsurfing with a bunch of kiters is a huge pita. especially in sideon/onshore waves. kites just take up way too much room, on the beach, and on the water.
so im mostly back to windsurfing now.. and going to places that are too hard for kiters to launch.

also, maybe some like to accomplish extremely hard moves more for their own satisfaction rather trying to impress the old girl on the beach.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Thu May 15, 2014 10:15 pm

Dan Glyaire wrote:
matth wrote: I have watched windsurfing friends spend years trying to perfect a move that is extremely hard to do but looks like nothing special to anyone who does not know what's going on.
as a windsurfer thats kited since '99, and i have to say, windsurfing with a bunch of kiters is a huge pita. especially in sideon/onshore waves. kites just take up way too much room, on the beach, and on the water.
so im mostly back to windsurfing now.. and going to places that are too hard for kiters to launch.

also, maybe some like to accomplish extremely hard moves more for their own satisfaction rather trying to impress the old girl on the beach.
I agree with the taking up space thing , thankfully we have lots of space on our local beaches.
I am talking outside of that issue , just the act of kiting in general.

I think Plummet nailed it . Everyone thinks what they do is best ..

jats2k9
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ft Lauderdale
Miami beach
Style: Wakestyle, Freestyle
Gear: Best
Been thanked: 0

Postby jats2k9 » Thu May 15, 2014 11:34 pm

It is plain and childish rivalry because kitesurfing it's the new game in town.
Everyone avoids the change, wait til they come up with a new watersport, you'll see our reaction.

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Fri May 16, 2014 12:35 am

I declare this thread for kiteboarders only, I find that that windsurfers in this thread are a PITA.
Their opinions take up too much room in this thread and on this forum.
I think Kiteforum should move to a URL location that is too hard for windsurfers to launch their opinions from.
Also, some kiters here like to accomplish extremely hard verbal moves for their own satisfaction rather than trying to impress an old windsurfer on the beach.
Oh my lord, that shite sounds very silly. :roll: :roll:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri May 16, 2014 12:40 am

How boring must it be to try to learn one trick per year?
Frustration leads to jealousy...don't let them bring you down.
You are enjoying both, keep it that way!!!

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Fri May 16, 2014 1:05 am

Self centered delusional ego manics - they are in all walks of life - even kiting - in greater %ages than ever!

"Ah right, what.... do you own the ocean?"

Return to “Kitesurfing”