Ozone Edge exploded in mid air

Forum for kitesurfers
Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kailua
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Ozone Edge exploded in mid air

Postby Hawaiis » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:54 am

If the kite has warranty, it should at least last the warranty period be it 3 months or one year.

KiteRunner
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Crandon Park/Miami Beach
Has thanked: 0

Postby KiteRunner » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:16 am

Forget about Ozone's warranty. Its funny but i just posted a new post on this forum about the troubles just had with a brand new Ozone REO, and noticed this one.

They don't care and don't back up their warranty.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2385071

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:01 pm

The first Thread i read , after a 5-day HG and PG flying trip ; and i see THIS ...
BUMMER !!!!

As any PG flyer on this forum will note ; i ain't very good on those things , because
of the choice i had narrowed down to for my next PG : (Ozone Delta-2, or a Gin Carrera ).
My forte is mostly on a Rigid wing HG.

Because of this Thread , i'm gonna get the Gin ; if i need to do a B-line down, to
escape a cloud, i want the thing to hold together on Exit !!
Also, it appears that Ozone might have slipped into that :
"Too Big, to give proper costumer service thing" ?

Yea -- i'll be sending a copy of this, to both Ozone And Gin ; so they can respond, if
i'm overreacting a bit ? And i use mostly the Ozone Edge since 2008, for my quiver
and that might also change if i see more Threads like this ! :o :(

s1buell_wl wrote:This is my 19m after three self launches from sand. When I talked to Ozone they told me they would not do anything because they felt I hit something. These pictures are from two struts showing the same problem.

Kite used 6 times no bangs off the water or crashes of any kind

You can see the stitching eats right through the rip-stop. Petty sad for a kite use 6 times.

So if you buy one dont expect any support from Ozone

Thanks Ozone! (reply below)
Ok, different than what I thought you were explaining. Those look like scuff marks. But I had the Ozone warranty center take a look without giving my opinion. Their take is that these are abrasions which are evident by the scratch marks on the canopy and the cut stitch that can be seen in a couple photos. This can be a result of rubbing across a rock or something during launch/landing, or something like that.

What do they think of their customers? Do they think we're all stupid? Or just general lairs?

I have allot of Ozone gear and was shocked by the response. I can not say I will replace any of my gear again with the Ozone brand. Flying gear included. There is to many good brands out there that stand behind their products!

Buyers beware.
Cheers
Bille

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:25 pm

At risk of letting myself in for personal attacks, that poster also said it happened after one launch.
And said after six or so, I think.
And also said it happened after 2 launches.
So what was the number?
1, 2, 3, 6, 55, 33, 65?
It's starting to sound like lotto, but Ozone is not awarding cash prizes so far.
And supposedly the kite did not really drag on the beach but you can see the whole seam printed through the canopy.
I went from skeptic on this claim, to believing the kite might be defective, and back to skeptic.
Because the story was not consistent.
But I would be just as careful inspecting an edge as I would any other kite.
And I might just add reinforcement where I though it looked needed.
PG? Not going there....

s1buell_wl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby s1buell_wl » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:55 pm

My point on the self launch was, It was a new Kite used six times. I was in no way counting the self launches to be honest. So honestly I'm not 100% sure if it happen on the 2,3,4 launch. But what I do know is the sixth time I pulled the kite out and pumped it up I felt like getting sick.

I also clearly remember being embarrassed as stated before because the entire prior week I had been promoting how great the kite was. Now I stand in front of the kite and notice the holes and at the time three guys I kite with were looking the kite over. All I could think was please please please don't look at the front.

No worried about attacks... Its my personal experience with the brand nothing more. I'm not pro one way or the other.

Like stated before I love the design but Ozone needs to mature there production methods and materials. Their support on the other hand is tremble.

Billy I've had Gin before..... great support! I had a bad riser... No questions, new replacement. There was an issue with the Gin 2009 (forget the model) I heard Gin replaced them all.

I have to say though I love my C Class speedster.

In all fairness I think the Paraglider and Kite organizations within Ozone are totally different teams. I'm not sure I would let the kite issue affect my Paragliding decisions

BWD

I'm not alone here. Look back in the Ozone threads you will see the other problem where the line attachment wears through the bladder. They have made some really silly mistakes as of late. I've also fixed this so mine does not die of the same fate.

Is it fare that a guy buys a kite and in the first month (no matter how much he uses the kite) has to fix it so the kite will last the year?

s1buell_wl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby s1buell_wl » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:11 pm

BWD The problem I have is I like the kites. They are exactly the way I like a kite to move, jump, glide etc. The problem I have is as posted.

I have 10k of their gear and no support. Oh yea I got support

Ozone;
You hit a stone bye!

They didn't even care to talk with me they told my sale rep. They didn't care to know the detail. Not even two seconds to understand the customers point of view, events... nothing.

KiteRunner
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Crandon Park/Miami Beach

Postby KiteRunner » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:23 pm

s1buell_wl wrote:BWD The problem I have is I like the kites. They are exactly the way I like a kite to move, jump, glide etc. The problem I have is as posted.

I have 10k of their gear and no support. Oh yea I got support

Ozone;
You hit a stone bye!

They didn't even care to talk with me they told my sale rep. They didn't care to know the detail. Not even two seconds to understand the customers point of view, events... nothing.
I could not agree more. The kite is an amazing kite, which makes it even worse, because i finally found a kite I love, but it's material is shitting the manufacturer does not give a damn about costumers.

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:28 pm

s1buell_wl wrote: ...

In all fairness I think the Paraglider and Kite organizations within Ozone are totally different teams. I'm not sure I would let the kite issue affect my Paragliding decisions

BWD

Your probably correct !

Bille
Last edited by Bille on Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JS
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JS » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:40 pm

Speaking only for myself:

I've somehow managed to cause minor damage to a kite, without realizing it at the time, on the very first day I've taken it out of the bag. On the other hand, I've flown certain kites a few hundred times each, without any damage other than normal wear. The difference was circumstances relating to use, not the kite itself.

Speaking on behalf of kite producers:

On a typical day, thousands of kites suffer damage. Most is not primarily caused by faulty construction, and kite manufacturers know that. No kite company, nor their paying customers, could or should subsidize every potential "all hazards" warranty claim, so they must be methodical and firm about damaged-kite claims, as well as resource-draining discussions about them.

Some people want to be treated as an exception - "just this one time, for me, please" - but unfortunately so do countless others, which together don't add up to an exception.

A similar circumstance is prevalent in the mobile phone industry. Many irate customers, who adamantly deny ever exposing their phones to moisture, are mortified when dealers refuse their claims upon discovering telltale evidence of moisture damage inside their phones.

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:37 pm

The kite was in a fucking tree at some point!

I wouldn't give him any kind of support!

Return to “Kitesurfing”