Serious pinholes issues on the 2014 Ozone REOs

Forum for kitesurfers
jetboy
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Serious pinholes issues on the 2014 Ozone REOs

Postby jetboy » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:58 pm

I've had 8 different reo kites over the past 3 years. I had pinholes in only one of these from shell cuts. (my fault) Would have expected more actually as I self launch and land often. I don't doubt the sincerity of the guys that have had problems; so try and isolate what you think caused the damage.
If Ozone is responsible the damage has happened during manufacture, or shipping, or the canopy material is defective. Which of these do you think it is? You mention the material.. Are you saying just your kite or all ozone reos. I'm all for consumer feedback to improve design, so maybe be more specific.
Thinking outside the box; and you are sure it didn't happen during set up, flight, or landing; could it be in the pack up. I'll have to look at inside of bag to see how coarse that material is as it could happen in car ride down to beach, especially if you have an item on top of kite bag and the vibration of driving. The boston valves can cut you canopy if you don't put them in side ways and velcro flap over before folding. Pack up strap cranked up too tight ...Sand in your bag on a car trip. Is there something left inside your inner pocket section of the bag ie. ozone bottle opener that could have rubbed. All kite repairers on here can tell with an enlarged photo what the likely causes are. Hope you get is sorted, as they are great kites. :)
btw Their communication and support with you sounds disappointing. Looks like a form or stock standard cut and paste reply. Would you have more luck dealing with an ozone retailer? Not sure how you guys purchase and provide warranty in USA
Last edited by jetboy on Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Robsw6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins, Orbit2s & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, Moses Hydrofoil & North Atmos

Postby Robsw6 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:23 pm

jetboy wrote:The boston valves can cut you canopy if you don't put them in side ways and velcro flap over before folding
Great tip :remybussi:

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:30 pm

To be honest, the letter from Ozone printed above reads as decent, considering the situation.
It's no fun when your kite has a hole in it, that's for sure.
Racers can obsess about weight etc., but realistically, even the top racers would slap a patch on that and keep riding. Unless they happened to have a spare right there.
And they would not have any measurable loss of performance.
To me the bottom line is it's a $5 problem, solve with a bit of ripstop tape or dacron.

The underlying question to ask is, is the edge fun to use for recreational riding?
Or too high-maintenance?
It would be interesting to see if Ozone added a little reinforcement there, some time in the future, if it's the spot that gets the most contact when self launching.
They could offer the kite with some apply-yourself scuff pads, at a weight penalty of very few grams.
Users could choose to skip them if they had sights set on beating Johhny Heineken etc.
Or stick them on if they were more realistic in their expectations of performance and real world PITA.
I am not holding my breath on that one though.
It is so far the uber race kite of the world, after all.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:44 pm

I agree it is a decent detailed letter that does show empathy for the problem. Still it's damn frustrating.

IanNJ
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Brigantine NJ
Favorite Beaches: Brigantine, LBI, Kite Island NJ, Caberate, Hatteras
Style: Wave/freestyle
Gear: Currently rocking a 12/10/8 CORE GTS3 for waves and wake. Cabrinha Velocity 13/10/7 for Foil.
Boards: LF 139 Element with LFK boots and no fins, SlingShot/MHL NF2 Strapless Foil, CORE Ripper 2 5'10", Cabrinha Secrete weapon 5'10", Slingshot 5'6" Angry Swallow
Brand Affiliation: www.NewJerseyKiteboarding.com and www.GreenHatKiteboarding.com
Been thanked: 0

Postby IanNJ » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:57 pm

As a kiter who had many issues in the past with different companies (90% my fault) I often had to send things back. Each time the company wanted me to pay for shipping. That is standard across the board.

As a Dealer at www.AtlanticKiteboarding.com when I sell people products I make sure they know what they are getting. I don't sell beginners Edges because it is a special product. Some of the great qualities of the kite make it less durable. If your willing to spend 1800+ on a product I would suggest you know what your getting.

As a reasonable human being I know that nothing is perfect. I have learned in my age that I should take responsibility for my actions. Like when I slide a kite across the beach it is not the sands fault or the shells fault it is my fault. Many moons ago I just finished pumping up my slinghshot Key (my very first kite). I flipped it over and set it on the beach and a shell sliced the leading edge and all the air came out...I didn't expect Slignshot to replace my stupidity.

Ozone is really one of the better companies out there and the Edge, Reo, Catalyst are a fantastic kite... just treat it proper like you would treat any kite.

I have seen some people treat their equipment so bad and wonder why they have problems...a buddy put a CINDER BLOCK on a kite once...WTF are people thinking?

ShaveTheWhales
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Local Beach: West Straya Oz
Style: Fun with friends :) and being helpful :)
Gear: Lightwind, 11m Sonic 3, OR Flite, slingshot Dwarf craft foil board, Sab foil
Medium Wind, 12m OR Flite, 8 SouL, TT C6 board, Crazyfly Ltd, Shinn Monk, Wave board
Strong / Gnarly Wind, 8m SouL, 8m XR Core, C6 board
All with custom moded bars
Brand Affiliation: Anything that jumps well & fun to fly. Brand Bitch to none :)

Postby ShaveTheWhales » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:36 pm

From the way everyones been talking, I thought it was a high tec race kite..

From Ozones website:

WAVE RIDING FREEDOM

***The Reo is a very unique kite in our line up, designed specifically for wave riding with true surfing at it’s heart. Since first introducing the Reo we have had nothing other than positive feedback and it has become the iconic surf kite.

Another key aspect when building a kite specific for wave riding is the strength to weight ratio. As with all our kites we use top of the line materials and combined with our very own factory quality is second to none. The Reo is designed tough without the need of unnecessary cosmetic items which only add weight and drag which reduces performance.***

Oh its a "tough" surf kite... fark me - my apologies now im really confused :naughty:

KiteRunner
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Crandon Park/Miami Beach

Postby KiteRunner » Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:31 pm

ShaveTheWhales wrote:From the way everyones been talking, I thought it was a high tec race kite..

From Ozones website:

WAVE RIDING FREEDOM

***The Reo is a very unique kite in our line up, designed specifically for wave riding with true surfing at it’s heart. Since first introducing the Reo we have had nothing other than positive feedback and it has become the iconic surf kite.

Another key aspect when building a kite specific for wave riding is the strength to weight ratio. As with all our kites we use top of the line materials and combined with our very own factory quality is second to none. The Reo is designed tough without the need of unnecessary cosmetic items which only add weight and drag which reduces performance.***

Oh its a "tough" surf kite... fark me - my apologies now im really confused :naughty:
What a crock of shit. This kite has the weakest canopy of all the kites I ever owned. These guys are full of shit. It's really sad because the Kite is a great kite, and it flies great, but its build very cheaply.

eree
Very Frequent Poster

Postby eree » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:20 pm

IanNJ wrote:As a kiter who had many issues in the past with different companies (90% my fault) I often had to send things back. Each time the company wanted me to pay for shipping. That is standard across the board.

As a Dealer at www.AtlanticKiteboarding.com when I sell people products I make sure they know what they are getting. I don't sell beginners Edges because it is a special product. Some of the great qualities of the kite make it less durable. If your willing to spend 1800+ on a product I would suggest you know what your getting.

As a reasonable human being I know that nothing is perfect. I have learned in my age that I should take responsibility for my actions. Like when I slide a kite across the beach it is not the sands fault or the shells fault it is my fault. Many moons ago I just finished pumping up my slinghshot Key (my very first kite). I flipped it over and set it on the beach and a shell sliced the leading edge and all the air came out...I didn't expect Slignshot to replace my stupidity.

Ozone is really one of the better companies out there and the Edge, Reo, Catalyst are a fantastic kite... just treat it proper like you would treat any kite.

I have seen some people treat their equipment so bad and wonder why they have problems...a buddy put a CINDER BLOCK on a kite once...WTF are people thinking?
yeah, some people...

so you started with the ss Key what, some three years ago? and now you are "a Dealer at www...
and you are pompous enough to call people you don't know beginners and stupid?
if you care to look, OP joined the forum in 2008...

fdvj
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: lancing
Style: freeride
Gear: naish nobile
Been thanked: 0

Postby fdvj » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:30 pm

Your canopy is made of Teijin the highest quality fabric on the market, if it has got pinholes in it then something must have caused them. Post some pics up so we can see. I don't own a Reo but have C4s and they are very well made. It is possible that there was a manufacturing defect in the cloth, and if this was the case then the faults would be spread over a random area. Unless we see pics then we can't advise.

Clarencephil
Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride

Postby Clarencephil » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:17 pm

I've had Edges for the last 5 years, in all conditions at various places, Cuba , Maui, Spain.
Never had any problem, except for the valve, as mentionned above, when not stored properly

Return to “Kitesurfing”