Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: 2015 North Dyno vs 2014 North Juice.

Postby davesails7 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:27 am

Thanks for all the info Billy!

The bridle system is interesting.

I've been waiting for news about this kite since seeing the results from La Ventana foil Gold Cup race where Maxime Nocher won EVERY SINGLE RACE on the new dyno competing agains edges and some chronos! He was racing against most of the best racers in the world too!

Anyone know if the new Dynos will be stocked in stores in the US for demos? The 2013 was a special order kinda thing in the US.

Still on my 2011 Dyno 18m for now, but just picked up a used Edge 19m, so will have to compare when we get some wind. I've heard mixed reviews on comparisons between the two.

Puetz
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Casuarina Beach
Rapic Creek
Lee Point
Buffallo Creek
Favorite Beaches: Old Woman Rock, Darwin
Oka Point, Sanuar, Bali
Phan Rang, Vietnam
Cemetary's, Mui Ne, Vietnam
Point Moore, Hells Gates, Geraldton, Western Australia
Rapid Creek, Darwin, Australia
Lee Point, Darwin, Australia (my local spot)
Nugas/Lakey Peak, Sumbawa
Marion Bay, Tasmania
Long Beach, Robe, South Australia
Style: Foil/Wave/Freeride
Gear: Duotone 13m Juice 2020
Duotone Neo 9m
North Rebel 2014 7m
Duotone Pace 4'10 Foilboard with Carve 950 + GT 90cm mast
North Nugget 5'3" Surfboard
Cyclone Surfboard 6'0"

Postby Puetz » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:53 am

Westozzy wrote:Cheers billy. Any chance you could get some pictures maybe from behind the kite with lines attached, pulled taught so I could see the interaction of the rear and front lines relative to the bridle? Or is that just asking to much...lol :D

Very interesting indeed. You mentioned a mystery slippery leading edge material...the 2011 leading edge could qualify the same description.
... hey Eppo, click on the images Billy put up, zoom in and you can see, 2 attachments per strut for the first 2 inner struts and other 2 connections on the LE nearer the tip, with steering looking like same as usual. Oh, and one pully where the front lines attach, maybe to help relaunching, dunno!

Nice colours by the way!

I think your right, the slippery material is that D2 stuff, probably the same as the 2011 LE and 2013 struts and LE tips material, just guessing!

cheers,

Robbie

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Has thanked: 0

Postby Westozzy » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:14 am

Puetz wrote:
Westozzy wrote:Cheers billy. Any chance you could get some pictures maybe from behind the kite with lines attached, pulled taught so I could see the interaction of the rear and front lines relative to the bridle? Or is that just asking to much...lol :D

Very interesting indeed. You mentioned a mystery slippery leading edge material...the 2011 leading edge could qualify the same description.
... hey Eppo, click on the images Billy put up, zoom in and you can see, 2 attachments per strut for the first 2 inner struts and other 2 connections on the LE nearer the tip, with steering looking like same as usual. Oh, and one pully where the front lines attach, maybe to help relaunching, dunno!

Nice colours by the way!

Ahh yes that worked,,,cheers big fella. Pulley yep...good.

I think your right, the slippery material is that D2 stuff, probably the same as the 2011 LE and 2013 struts and LE tips material, just guessing!

cheers,

Robbie

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:00 am

davesails7 wrote:Still on my 2011 Dyno 18m for now, but just picked up a used Edge 19m, so will have to compare when we get some wind. I've heard mixed reviews on comparisons between the two.
which year Dave?

Looking forward to your review, pls compare lift and hangtime. :thumb:

Thanks
Toby

southflorida
Medium Poster
Style: flat water, go fast, practice tricks
Been thanked: 0

Postby southflorida » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:05 pm

Thanks for sharing Billy.

That's quite a departure from standard bridles I'm used to. Makes sense as the rear line of the Vs is right about where the kite generates most of the lift.

I took the liberty to zoom into some of your pics and put screen shots here. Gotta love hi-res cameras
ScreenHunter_08 Jun. 13 07.47.jpg
ScreenHunter_08 Jun. 13 07.47.jpg (16.7 KiB) Viewed 2181 times
ScreenHunter_09 Jun. 13 07.47.jpg
ScreenHunter_09 Jun. 13 07.47.jpg (46.8 KiB) Viewed 2181 times
ScreenHunter_10 Jun. 13 07.48.jpg

14ToeSide
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Sandy Spit
Gear: North, Ozone, Naish, Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: What ever works Best that year

Postby 14ToeSide » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:20 pm

Does the New Dyno have the NEW BIG inflate valve?

Billy B.
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Strawberry, Big Bad UT Lake, Rush mudpuddle.
DC
Favorite Beaches: Strawberry, Rufus,, Hampton NH. San Diego lite wind ninja shit.
Style: Learning,... as in I am still learning.
Gear: 2014 north gear

All of it
North and Race boards
North twin tip and directional yummyness.
Surfboard and strapless play stuff.
Brand Affiliation: I am a North snowkite athlete.

Postby Billy B. » Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:08 pm

14ToeSide wrote:Does the New Dyno have the NEW BIG inflate valve?
Yup...

Billy B.
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Strawberry, Big Bad UT Lake, Rush mudpuddle.
DC
Favorite Beaches: Strawberry, Rufus,, Hampton NH. San Diego lite wind ninja shit.
Style: Learning,... as in I am still learning.
Gear: 2014 north gear

All of it
North and Race boards
North twin tip and directional yummyness.
Surfboard and strapless play stuff.
Brand Affiliation: I am a North snowkite athlete.

Postby Billy B. » Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:12 pm

Puetz wrote:

Nice colours by the way!

cheers,

Robbie
Entirely new fabric for the leading edge, the struts and wing tips are the same D2 as previous years, the leading edge is much different. I of coarse had 2011 dynos. The green struts and wing tips are the same fabric from last year, and the olive leading edge is new stuff.

windfreak
Medium Poster

Postby windfreak » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:07 pm

I had taken a quick look at the new 15m juice ,when lauching the owner,looks like a big neo to me ,nice kite but lots of bridels ,suppose to be a fast turner,good windrange for what i saw, will see ! Need to demo it by myself ,coming soooon ! I hope ! :bye:

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:03 pm

Toby wrote:which year Dave?

Looking forward to your review, pls compare lift and hangtime. :thumb:

Thanks
Toby
Full disclosure, the post below has nothing to do with the new Dyno or Juice. Sorry off topic, but since Toby asked I think it's OK :D

Got two sessions in this weekend on the used 2013 19m Edge I just picked up. So far I'm loving it.

Haven't gotten a chance to try it out back to back with my 2011 18m Dyno, but I don't think it's going to be a fair fight. After 100 sessions, my 18m Dyno just doesn't seem to perform like it used to. It still is super stable and hangs in the air in almost no wind, but it seems to have a little less pull on the low end and noticably less height and hangtime in the jumps. I remember always being amazed at the height and hangtime in 12 knots, but not so much anymore. Have you noticed this too Toby? Do you retire your Dynos when they wear out like this or ride them til they explode?

For the 19m Edge, first session was in crappy choppy/gusty conditions about 14 knots on twin tip. Very impressed with hang time, but because of the direction of the chop I was having trouble popping consistently, so a lot of times I was going more horizontal than up. On a few sent back rolls (with slow rotation), I finished the rotation, ready to land, an was way higher still than I expected. Also I got closer to landing a board-off than I ever have before, so hangtime is definitely good.

Second session was in up and down 6-10 knots on raceboard. Kite is very stable even when I fell towards the kite on a tack in what felt like a 6 knots or less lull. Just hangs there in the sky like the 18m Dyno does. A few times I was definitely struggling to get the board back on plane, but the kite never felt like it was going to fall. At the end of the session it was really dying out, so I went to the beach where it was even lighter. I was self landing and saw that where the kite was going was some people's stuff laid out on a blanket (no people), so I ran downwind about 20 feet so the kite would drift downwind, but the kite just hung there in place, now way forward out of the window??? It seems like you can't get this thing to fall out of the sky. It was flying way further upwind of me than I thought would be possible, especially in 5 knots or so of wind, and still just hung there.

Overall, I'm very impressed so far. Much better than the 2012.5 Dyno LTD that I thought was a complete disaster. I'll let you know how it goes when I try it back to back with the 2011 18m Dyno. I'll try to get it out alongside my buddy's 18m Dyno that has had less use than mine.

Return to “Kitesurfing”