Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Serious pinholes issues on the 2014 Ozone REOs

Forum for kitesurfers
ktouhey
Medium Poster
Local Beach: I fly a lot.
Style: waves
Gear: Naish kites & boards, O'neill wetsuits.
Brand Affiliation: Naish, O'neill - Canada Team Rider
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Serious pinholes issues on the 2014 Ozone REOs

Postby ktouhey » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:47 am

Good of Iain to come on here and chyme in with a real response. Usually the higher-ups from a brand would not bother. good on ya.

To echo his comments, I have had a couple of pin holes in two of my Ozone kites (however one of those particular kites had about ~80 days of use). They were all in the same area too, right near the boston valve. I suspect that they occurred on the few occasions where I packed up the kite and did not take the extra moment to re-apply the neoprene cover. So the kite would bounce around in my truck and rub a hole. in effect... this was user (my error). It certainly wasn't related to the fabric and I don't think is any problem with the kites at all.

The reos seem to have the same fabric as the older Reo's and Edges. Whereas the new edges certainly have a different fabric. Either way, I close my valve covers every time and I'm generally stoked with the kites.

I have had a few ozones over the past couple years, and I've been super stoked. I currently have 2014 Reo's (without any pinholes, BTW :wink: ), as well as Chronos, a Summit and the new Edges. They're all rad.

I'm off now to go ride the 7 Reo.

cheers,
Kyle

poools81
Frequent Poster
Gear: ozone 13m and 9m
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby poools81 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:48 am

Ozones are awesome when they bladder issues on some of my 2011 c4s my local dealer replaced all of my bladders for free i have never had a problem my buddy still rocks his 2008 sport and its been used a lot!

Hannay
Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone
Brand Affiliation: Ozone

Postby Hannay » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:35 am

plummet wrote:An interesting response from Ozone. Thanks for your input.

I have a question. The same type material has been used since 2006. Has different weight/thicknesses been used on different years? or is it all exactly the same?

If other manufacturers kites have not pin holed in the same enviroment what material are they using? Are they using heavier weight cloth? or completely different brand?

Or is it just bad luck? Or perhaps the darker canopy makes it easier to see the pin holes?

On a side note I get very good life from my ozone kites. I do have pin holes but put that down to launching on beaches and packing my kites away sandy. I have noted a significant reduction in wear launching/landing 80% of the time on grass rather than sand.
Hi, it has been the same cloth we have used since 2006. We have tested many different brands cloths but have remained with Teijin as they produce what we see as the best cloth. We have worked with them on the colour run issue that we had from 2006 to 2008 when the kites got wet, they are now way better. We have sent schools in hardcore wind places cheaper cloth to test and they have evaporated compared to Teijin, this is an effort to bring the price of the kites down for the end customer. Importing the material from Japan is expensive and oil/labour costs have soared in the past 5 years as we all know by reading the news.

Thanks Plummet for riding Ozone, hope we can keep you as a customer. Iain

Hannay
Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone
Brand Affiliation: Ozone

Postby Hannay » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:38 am

ktouhey wrote:Good of Iain to come on here and chyme in with a real response. Usually the higher-ups from a brand would not bother. good on ya.

To echo his comments, I have had a couple of pin holes in two of my Ozone kites (however one of those particular kites had about ~80 days of use). They were all in the same area too, right near the boston valve. I suspect that they occurred on the few occasions where I packed up the kite and did not take the extra moment to re-apply the neoprene cover. So the kite would bounce around in my truck and rub a hole. in effect... this was user (my error). It certainly wasn't related to the fabric and I don't think is any problem with the kites at all.

The reos seem to have the same fabric as the older Reo's and Edges. Whereas the new edges certainly have a different fabric. Either way, I close my valve covers every time and I'm generally stoked with the kites.

I have had a few ozones over the past couple years, and I've been super stoked. I currently have 2014 Reo's (without any pinholes, BTW :wink: ), as well as Chronos, a Summit and the new Edges. They're all rad.

I'm off now to go ride the 7 Reo.

cheers,
Kyle
Hi Kyle, thanks for that and I hope to see you in the races going fast this year. You know that 19m Edge was for you :-) So we do listen to our customers and we are approachable, 100%

All the best, Iain

markchatwin
Very Frequent Poster

Postby markchatwin » Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:01 pm

Not sure if this was covered but is Ozone responding to the common pin holes caused by the Boston valve by putting a protective patch on canopy material behind it? ala North…

Correct me if I'm wrong but that Boston valve must be left open to the last possible second to let all air out of kite? i.e. - if you are done rolling up the kite but not having folded it yet and you then close the valve, apply the neoprene cover and then you try to fold up kite wouldn't air be still trapped inside? Causing a not neatly folded kite?

Seems putting a protective patch behind the valve allowing users to fold kite up with valve still open would be best...

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:32 pm

Nah you just roll from both sides, get the last of the air out and loosely screw the valve back on and the neoprene cover ..air can still escape a little if need be. It's not a problem, really.

I had ozone kites, pin holes weren't an issue. Maybe they are, maybe they are not, but I didnt have a problem.

Not as strongly built as my north kites, that's for sure, but the new D2 fabric will sort some of this.

Ozone make a very good product in my mind. Edge is a sublime wing, but not for me and my style. Zephyr is a superb kite, my bro still cranks on his.

Don't rate their all round kite (catalyst), should have diverged the C4 and made a Dialed down C option and a full blown kick ass wakestyle C kite...aka Vegas/dice, Torch/park, Fuel/rpm. In my opinion of course...Still ride a 2011 C4, awesome kite! Imagine what it could be now. But hey wtf would I know right.

Jbrook
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Jbrook » Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:10 pm

Damage control offer the guy a kite. Sounds like he has been a good customer for many years, I don't see why you would not want to keep him.

fdvj
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: lancing
Style: freeride
Gear: naish nobile

Postby fdvj » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:29 am

Those patches would ned to be bigger to work, my north dice has just got a pinhole 1cm from the edge of the patch, the neoprene cover is a better option if you remember it. I think Norths a re over built and ozones are just right. My 2013 c4 flys the same as it did when new and apart from the wear around canopy from the valve being uncovered it is as new.

Tom Tom
Medium Poster

Postby Tom Tom » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:03 am

fdvj wrote:Those patches would ned to be bigger to work, my north dice has just got a pinhole 1cm from the edge of the patch, the neoprene cover is a better option if you remember it. I think Norths a re over built and ozones are just right. My 2013 c4 flys the same as it did when new and apart from the wear around canopy from the valve being uncovered it is as new.
I second that. Been on Ozone since 2007. Currently flying 2 C4, 1 Edge, 2 REO and Zephyr, age from 2011 up to current 2014's. I travel and kite from sandy beaches, rocks and grass.

No doubt kites are built differently and Ozone have in my view always been on the minimalistic side benefiting from good care. Nothing extraordinary, just good practice considering what type of equipment we are talking about here.

They last very well for me and I consider them built just right. My 2011 C4 12 has about 50 sessions on it and still performs 100% and looks crisp.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:10 am

Christ 50 sessions, that's a month or two here! My bros 2011 C4 has had three or four times that!

North over built, nah I don't agree with that. That is chucked around a lot and honestly unless you are really that good who really notices the difference.

They just use a superior cloth...oh wait ozone are using it now.... :D

With the new north valve I still screw it on lightly before the final fold...I don't want that valve 'lid' to do its own thing when packed up and rumbling around in the back of a car.

Return to “Kitesurfing”