Local Beach: Langebaan
Favorite Beaches: Langebaan
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cloud C2 17
Hoff Twinwave
Brand Affiliation: None

BRM control system

Postby rynhardt » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:58 pm

Has anyone else been keeping an eye on Boardriding Maui? Looks like Greg is finally going public with his control system.

From the pictures available it looks elemental. And I don't see a chicken loop either.. interesting stuff.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: BRM control system

Postby Toby » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:09 pm

but with depower?

rynhardt
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan
Favorite Beaches: Langebaan
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cloud C2 17
Hoff Twinwave

Postby rynhardt » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:23 pm

Yes.
Looks like a Y-type four line setup, with the single Y line running through the bar.
Below the bar trim.
Quick release near the connection point, which I can't make out but doesn't appear to include a chicken loop.

Following pics are from facebook and appear to be earlier prototypes..
Attachments
1957856_566804103417145_1729264143_o.jpg
1610023_550145358416353_173218221_n.jpg

Phil
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Famara
Gear: Naish Slash 2017 9m & 7m, Firewire Vader 5'3, HB Lafayette 5'10
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Phil » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:53 pm

BRM.jpg
Phil
Have Fun & Ride Safe

cleepa
Frequent Poster

Postby cleepa » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:43 pm

Huuuuge throw!

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:10 am

cleepa wrote:Huuuuge throw!
Yes, and there must be a reason for that, and how would a stopper work? - if there is one.

I'm wondering if it is designed for the Cloud Strutless kites or for general use.

Greg prefers single front line flagging and there are two power lines going up to a small ring. So maybe one line holds both front lines when flying the kite and the other line flags to one front line. But if that was the case, they both probably wouldn't be the same diameter.

The below bar trim is also a factor. The load is greater if the double power line is two separate lines or one line going up to the ring and back down.

It certainly looks minimalist and very light. It will be interesting to see what Greg has come up with.

I think there is plenty of scope for better control systems.
I sent details of this to Wichard because they could redesign their snap shackle mainly by incorporating a hole through the swivel to produce a component that could completely replace the usual chickenloop assembly.
Attachments
wichardring.jpg

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:33 am

Minimalist for sure!!!! :thumb:

The pics above are prototypes. Except maybe from the video.
I don't think the throw will not be that big. His kites just don't need it.

I agree there is a lot of space to work within when it comes to the control systems. Considering harness and bar system as two discrete systems does not necessarily yield optimal solutions.

Aummm
Medium Poster
Style: Old
Gear: Cabrinha, Ozone Kites, NO STRUTLESS!
Been thanked: 0

Postby Aummm » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:11 am

tautologies wrote:I agree there is a lot of space to work within when it comes to the control systems.
I agree :thumb:
But I think stabilization of the canopy is more important what Bruno found out long time ago technically,
practically with a reason.
There is no reason to violate the technological rules to bastardize an invention and not to improve a function of a "prior art",
through related already successful applications in an illusion "less is more" :naughty:

:alarm:
Attachments
Legignoux Pat.jpeg
Legignoux Pat.jpeg (35.65 KiB) Viewed 3293 times

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:35 pm

Aummm's franglais is showing ha ha
Such the little chauvinist, "vive fillion! vive legaignoux!" :yawn:
We've heard it all before, maybe he will come back with something new to say.
But don't hold your breath though, it seems at least half his posts are dedicated to bashing BRM.

Some comment on the interesting part:

I like how the BRM bar looks simple and light. I hope it floats, it probably should if the bar is sealed.
I wonder if the key to it is an integrated shackle/swivel/trim cleat?
Guess we'll find out...
Looks like you could adjust the effective length by moving the leaders along the bar.
Not sure there is a flagging system in the pictures?
As a long time C kite user I am used to relying on single line flagging.
Perhaps one can ride safely in some conditions with the cloud kite without it though.
In fact on my 4th session ever with Cloud 17m v1, I found I'd forgotten my leash.
There was a good 15-17 knots, high end for the kite, and nice little waves.
I went for it with little hesitation. The kite's stability when depowered, and ease of keeping it in the air, gave me confidence I wouldn't have to ditch it, and that I wouldn't get hurt.
All the same, I stick with the conventional slingshot and ozone bars, with CL and leash, part of my safety is the routine I have with the gear I am used to, which so far has adapted well to the cloud.

I would try this bar though, I am sure it has been tuned to the kites, looks nice.

cleepa
Frequent Poster

Postby cleepa » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:43 pm

tautologies wrote:I don't think the throw will not be that big. His kites just don't need it.
I would expect it to be big. Greg has a preference for this for his style of riding. I also love it with my Clouds. I recently went from having short throw to really long throw and have found it incredibly beneficial. The immediate benefit is not getting yanked so hard when whipping the kite across the window. You are also able to kill even more power in the kite - to the point where it is fun to try it because you've never seen a kite do that before! But I think the most interesting thing is the options it opens up for kite positioning during turns/manouevres that I just wouldn't try before because the kite would pull too hard.
ronnie wrote:
cleepa wrote: Huuuuge throw!
Yes, and there must be a reason for that, and how would a stopper work? - if there is one.

I'm wondering if it is designed for the Cloud Strutless kites or for general use.
Reasons for long throw described above! I don't know about a stopper ball. My bar that I modified for long throw does not have one as I don't like them. In email exchanges with Greg, he has told me he likes long throw bars for all kites. So I don't think this is Cloud specific, rather it is for people looking for a simple system with long throw.

Return to “Kitesurfing”