Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Freestyle
Gear: slingshot
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Carafino Updates: General Topic

Postby wind_rider » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:33 am

Without rising to the bait of the h8 posters or carafino puppet/multiple identity posters.

Really!!

More BS marketing from the master of BS. If BS was an olymoic sport he would be the undisputed champion.

So now all oither products are inferior becase they aren't solid carbon and they will slice you in 2. And the carafino bashing is all from his competitors (who I think are remarkably restrained).

1. It is massively more difficult to make a twin wall foil than a solid foil. To make a proper foil the 2 skins are pressed outward by a sacraficial inflatable bag at high pressure to ensure there are no voids in the carbon skin which would be an issue. Even the home builders in eastbourne and worthig where I live who make a few foils for fun have the technology to do that. Why do they do that? Because they are light and properly made just as strong as a solid piece of carbon. In face its much better as you can align the fibres to the expected load path. No foil will survive a grounding at high speed. By all accounts the C boards are massively heavy and people who have tried them tell me its like towing a plastic bag. Weight is an issue not only for performance by also for learning and trying to manouvre a heavy board in the water is the last thing a learner like me needs. That's why I'm really happy with the board I went for that was cheaper than a carafino 1-4-1 deal and very nicely built and down to weight that has stood some learner abuse. As for the cost I don't doubt that most products have a good margin which I don't mind paying to a quality manufacturer and supplier who don't have a history of walking away from clear defects with their product. The cost is in the engineering not the raw materials. Finished carbon compositein a mass produced environment such as aerospace comes in at less than $100 per kg so on that basis is should be possible to manufactuuer a board/foil for around $500 but we arenalking about a mass produced market and the set up/tooling costs are huge and that has to be spread across a small number of units.his comparison with a windsurfing mast is not valid as a mast can be simply made using a filament winding machine and its a simple geometric shape. A foil is a very complex shape. You get what you pay for and in this case you are paying for a badly engineered, heavy and poor performace piece of kit.
2. Hydrodynamically a foil will be s**t if it dosent have a sharo trailing edge and tip and yes they are bloody dangerous if they hit you at 30 knots +. To say a carafino will never cut you is both misleading and an admission of poor design.
3. As I have said and as has been confirmed many times I have no business interest in carafino or any aspect of the sport. I run my own business which is a very busy and sucessful environmental consultancy involved with projects like the masdar city in abu dhabi where energy is provided for 1 million people without using fossil fuels (if you believe what the marketing guys say but its a good effort anyway). My motivation for coming here is that I have been ripped off and threatened and I hate bullshitters nearly as much as I hate bullies.
Last edited by wind_rider on Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:01 am, edited 3 times in total.

james
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: My own
Brand Affiliation: My own

Postby james » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:54 am

i just read the carafino face book thing,

again sounds all ok right until the bit about crating foils to fit a load of different brands

every one of them has a different fitting system spacing or alignment...

if you don't know that, it sounds awesome he is going to help the sport by making it cheaper etc but the reality is ridiculous it would look like a piece of swiss cheese the amount of holes that it would need to fit all the foils not to mention the spotz is a male/female fitting so god knows how that gonna work..

sad thing is that if and when decent reviews do get posted up he won't see them.

Phil, thought you had shipping details for you foil like last week, whats the delay now?

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:57 am

james wrote:i just read the carafino face book thing,

again sounds all ok right until the bit about crating foils to fit a load of different brands

every one of them has a different fitting system spacing or alignment...

if you don't know that, it sounds awesome he is going to help the sport by making it cheaper etc but the reality is ridiculous it would look like a piece of swiss cheese the amount of holes that it would need to fit all the foils not to mention the spotz is a male/female fitting so god knows how that gonna work..

sad thing is that if and when decent reviews do get posted up he won't see them.

Phil, thought you had shipping details for you foil like last week, whats the delay now?
I think he meant making individual copies :D

james
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: My own
Brand Affiliation: My own

Postby james » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:38 am

Fair enough

I am sure the other companies will be thrilled that he will be producing a COPY of their front wings and selling them..

Or would they be his own design, to f*** up the perfect balance that the original designers created with their original product.

Either way you look at it, it's needless bullshit that he doesn't need

Build your boards build your foils, deliver them and shut everyone up,

The other stuff isn't needed

wind_rider
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: UK

Postby wind_rider » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:18 am

Its the "carafino bashing" bit that makes me laugh. For someone that goes to such extraordinary lengths to piss off customers/competitors alike what does he expect. And he is 1st up slagging everyone elses product at any opourtunity. He truly is the most bizzare person I have ever come across.

The expression he dishes out to the guys he has suceeded in ripping off refering to me and others as a "looser" is very telling. Has he competed against me or others in somewhere. NO. If he beat me fair and square in a sporting competition and by some miracle he won would he refer to his fellow competitors as loosers. Almost certainly YES. I think this shows the true mark of this man.

In one brearh he is getting out of the business and in the next he is offering foils with a lifetime warranty. We have all seen that the warranty isn't worth the paper it isn't printed on

Tiago1973
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Portugal
Style: Freeriding

Postby Tiago1973 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:38 am

wind_rider wrote: More BS marketing from the master of BS. If BS was an olymoic sport he would be the undisputed champion.
u are clearly new in the sport of kitesurfing

Rotule
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Plattsburgh City Beach, NY
Favorite Beaches: Plattsburgh City Beach, NY
Gear: Core Section 4M, Section 2 6M. GTS 3 9M
Moses Onda 71 HL

Postby Rotule » Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:48 pm

wind_rider wrote: More BS marketing from the master of BS. If BS was an olymoic sport he would be the undisputed champion.
this coment is Epic! coming from the most BS poster of the whole internet comunity

we all heard you, now shut it !

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:47 pm

Nah man, He can't help himself now. He's addicted. You'll see, now its like a sickness destined to shrink his world down to a single topic that for evermore sucks the life out of him until he looks something like Golum..... in a dinghy.

Rotule
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Plattsburgh City Beach, NY
Favorite Beaches: Plattsburgh City Beach, NY
Gear: Core Section 4M, Section 2 6M. GTS 3 9M
Moses Onda 71 HL

Postby Rotule » Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:11 pm

Starsky wrote: until he looks something like Golum..... in a dinghy.
:lol: great vision

wind_rider
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: UK

Postby wind_rider » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:31 pm

How many identities does he have on this forum. And how many paid (in boards?) Puppet posters does he have. Whatever he pays its too much

Return to “Kitesurfing”