Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Camrig Line mount mishap

Forum for kitesurfers
ptraykovski
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Re: Camrig Line mount mishap

Postby ptraykovski » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:47 pm

Yes..that what you want avoid. you'll want the camera mounted a few meters away from the crossing point as that varies with line tension, kite size etc. I put the camera way above the crossing point as like to get more background in, but you could put it close to the bar if you want the footage up close and personal.

stringy
Medium Poster
Local Beach: seattle, wa
Style: freeriding
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby stringy » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:04 pm

hey guys, just catching up on this thread.
yes it is possible to catch a steering line on the arms. I see this happening more in the waves when you slack your lines and loop your kite. I've had it happen more than once...
first question, I assume this was from using the original design line mount, correct?
if so did you use the green rubber plugs that fit into the arms? if not, get them.
these plugs will help prevent this from happening. it can still snag, but totally resolvable on the water
positioning the mount closer or father away from you will possibly help.
as for having a steering line snagging and affecting your flagging system, I doubt that it has much impact. keep in mind that if a line snags, it makes your steering line shorter, but the kite is still controllable and you need to counter by pulling more on the other side

Sgallian
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 80
Local Beach: La Saline - Reunion Island
Favorite Beaches: La Prairie - Mauritius
Tarifa
Style: Freeride - Freestyle - Strapless - Foil
Gear: 2017 Naish Dash, 2019 Naish Pivot, Flysurfer Soul 12m
NHP SplitBoard Carbon(2016) , 50/Fifty
Nobile Infinity Split Foil 5'2
Zeeko SpitFire Foil

Postby Sgallian » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:11 pm

@dyyylan: ok.. so you're using http://camrig.com/line-mount/hd2-gopro- ... line-mount, in which case, yes, you should be fine event if you put the the camera where the lines cross, because the mount and the camera is between the front lines, and there a lot less chance of a line getting caught... Again, I am pretty sure that's the reason why they designed a GoPro-specific mount, when it can be mounted on the Universal mount: too risky...

With the Universal mount, the camera is above the lines, so more volume, but the real problem is that there is a space between the mount and the camera where the lines can get caught:
GoProUniversal.jpg
Where the back lines can get stuck.
GoProUniversal.jpg (183.2 KiB) Viewed 2045 times
This is how my blue line got stuck:
GoProUniversalProfil.jpg
How my back blue line got stuck....
So let it be a warning: if you're using the Universal Mount, with a GoPro or a camera that is not "bullet-like" (again, never had the problem with my Drift, I'm guessing that Contour or ION would be fine), you should put the mount higher up, I know that's what I'll do from now.
I am thinking also of puting some tape around the case and mount, to ensure that the lines slide over the gaps...

@stringy: as you can see, yes, original design, with the green plugs. Also, it was quite stuck( you can hear the grinding in the video), so even if I pulled more on the left/red line, I don't think there was enough pressure to have the kite pulling the blue line back (Naish kite = very light pressure, and light wind) in any case, I quickly dismissed the idea of continuing like that...
Last edited by Sgallian on Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Re: Another mishap

Postby CaptainArgh » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:17 pm

Sgallian wrote:Well, it happened to me this WE as well:
Ugh! Was that as sketchy in reality as it looked in the video? Man, seeing you crawl up to the camera position of a powered kite and knowing that the rest of the bar is below you now with loose lines able to snag on stuff! Sketchy to watch.

Shit...I was just worried about if my center line safety would deploy or not. I hadn't even thought about this tangle! Guess I need to be careful and be willing to let everything go if shit hits the fan?!?

I had read on another forum that the center safety does work, and slide through the green plugs, when deployed. I'm not convinced, and will have to try it some time in friendly water. Ahhh, the risks we take to get some good footage. :P

Sgallian
Medium Poster
Tarifa
Zeeko SpitFire Foil

Postby Sgallian » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:49 pm

@CaptainArgh:
well, it did not look TOO dangerous to me at the time: as I said, not so much wind, and if you notice, first thing I do is to depower the kite. Then, I try to ensure that I get tension only on front lines... In these conditions, I know that I should not have any surprise...
Main reason why I like the Naish Universal Bar: you can choose to flag the kite on one or two front lines, and if the conditions look safe enough, I usually hook my leash to the depower (and taking the stopper ball makes it even safer). But even if I flag on only one front line, yes, it does slide trhough the mount, even with the green plugs (tested that the first time I used it).
Also, it the camera was about half a meter above the swivel, not so far away as to have back lines get tangled around any limb, though retrospectively, I should have been more careful about that...

Sgallian
Medium Poster
Tarifa
Zeeko SpitFire Foil

Postby Sgallian » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:49 pm

ptraykovski wrote: It does pinch the front lines in a bit but easy to compensate for the ~ 1" length difference with the depower
Actually, correct me if I'm wrong, but since the front lines are pinched, it is as if they were shortened, so you cannot really compensate that with the depower.
In this set-up, if you want to access the full power of the kite, the back lines have to be shortened...

Wstt
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 140
Local Beach: Kanaha
Favorite Beaches: Namotu
Style: Strapless Directional
Gear: Duotone
Been thanked: 0

Postby Wstt » Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:17 am

I know I’m super late to this conversation but is the line actually hooking around the Camrig or GoPro Or just catching on an edge of it and then sliding off and clear of it?
I have a Camrig gen 4 line mount and with a GoPro hero 8, I don’t see anything a line could really snag on. There is nothing for it to hook on. I guess it could wrap on the edge of the camera, but it appears it would just slide off a second later.

I’ve self launched many times with it and no problems. I haven’t self landed though. I also haven’t looped the kite yet. What happens when you loop the kite, and what happens if I move the line mount farther up the lines, so more background on the water is visible?

Return to “Kitesurfing”