Medium Poster
Local Beach: San andres
Style: Free ride old school
Gear: north dyno
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

need a new line set. any suggestions for better price option

Postby Oldpeople » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:43 pm

I need a new set of 4 lines for a north dyno. North wants $300. any cheaper options out there? I have seen $100 sets on ebay from china but I don't know if they are any good. any suggestions would be appreciated. And since the two center lines are shorter on a north bar I assume that any set would have to have those two recut to the right length.

s1buell_wl
Very Frequent Poster

Re: need a new line set. any suggestions for better price op

Postby s1buell_wl » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:53 pm

Q powerlines..

I also need to make a set. For you guys that have Q-power lines did you make the line set by yourself (tie the knots etc) or did you buy them pre-made?

waynepjh
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone edges and c4
Brand Affiliation: Ozone team rider

Postby waynepjh » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:59 pm

where do you live? I have about 6 or 7 sets of ozone lines and I could sell you one if your close.

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:49 pm

**YAWN** Q-power 600lb **YAWN**. Next question....

whabbits
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Vancouver Island, BC
Favorite Beaches: Comox, BC
Nitinaht Lake. BC
Port Renfrew, BC
Style: learning anything
Gear: LOL, kiting too expensive now.
Brand Affiliation: None, but I used to work at Ocean Rodeo.

Postby whabbits » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:12 pm

s1buell_wl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby s1buell_wl » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:23 pm

waynepjh wrote:where do you live? I have about 6 or 7 sets of ozone lines and I could sell you one if your close.
lol Brazil close enough?

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:27 pm

sarc wrote:**YAWN** Q-power 600lb **YAWN**. Next question....
Depending on the safety line q-power may or may not fit through the flag out. I seem to remember that the north 5th element trust bar has a long thick line that goes up to the proper 5th line so you can use q-powerline on all 5 lines. Most control bars can not use q-powerline because they are now mostly single center flagging and the q-powerline won't fit through the safety flagout mechanism (because q-powerline has to be knotted or sleeved and can not be spliced, and the safety on most modern control bars only has room for a spliced line to go through).

Be careful about blindly recommending q-powerline, fewer and fewer control bar systems can use it because of how the modern safety features work.

In this case though I think q-powerline will work. Check out how your safety system works, make sure it doesn't require a spliced line. If it doesn't then you can use q-powerline.

When I use q-powerline I like using knots, to create loops and then add pigtails on the end with a knot or loop accordingly. I have sleeved q-powerline before but I quit doing it, the knots (unlike 12 strand line) work fine.

When I need a new line set I buy some dyneema or spectra (costs about $100 retail for the line itself) and splice the lines then pigtails, using a simple class 1 splice with a lock stitch or zacher's knot if it doesn't have to go through a safety.

Those chinese lines look fine to me, but like you said I think the 5th element trust might have some funny line lengths you have to worry about and I also haven't seen chinese lines with a 5th line they are always 4 line sets. If you are recutting lines you might as well buy raw line and learn how to splice.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:27 pm

I just posted about this the other day.......flylines

I picked up some lines from Chinasource on ebay...24m 1000lbs supposable ,,paid around 80$

Lines came in about ten days. They look just like my ocean rodeo lines but thicker. I put them on a post last night , put my harness on, and yanked the hell out of them. Very little stretch so far, and seem rock solid. I was second guessing myself buying these on ebay from China, but they seem like they will be fine.

s1buell_wl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby s1buell_wl » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:01 pm

matth wrote:I just posted about this the other day.......flylines

I picked up some lines from Chinasource on ebay...24m 1000lbs supposable ,,paid around 80$

Lines came in about ten days. They look just like my ocean rodeo lines but thicker. I put them on a post last night , put my harness on, and yanked the hell out of them. Very little stretch so far, and seem rock solid. I was second guessing myself buying these on ebay from China, but they seem like they will be fine.
I have no issue buying and making the lines. But my question still remains. How are you guys doing the loop knots? Duncan Loop Knot? Perfection Loop?

What loop knot are you using? I remember seeing it here once but dam it all I forget.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:04 pm

s1buell_wl wrote:What loop knot are you using? I remember seeing it here once but dam it all I forget.
figure 8 on q-powerline, class 1 splice on 12 strand with zacher or stitch lock
Last edited by edt on Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Kitesurfing”