Medium Poster
Local Beach: Oka
Gear: Airush
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Can't get upwind on an...Ozone Edge!

Postby yuko » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:30 pm

Ok guys, I really need help on this one.
Some background on me, 175lb, intermediate, rode mostly directional in light stuff but love to go out on a TT when conditions are right.
Got myself a 17M Edge 2013 after demoing it for few times, chose between Turbine, Flight and Zephyr, had in mind to ride it mostly with my Sector so racy nature of the Edge seemed like a good decision.
Problem I'm having is that I'm trying to combine medium light wind sessions of 8-12knts, mostly flat, on a Sector with some light wind freestyle on a twintip of mine - Supershinn 135-41, the problem I'm having is that even though it seems like I have enough power, one stroke is enough to get going, I simply CANT go upwind, at least I have to try very hard to gain some ground, and it's like, once I got to my launch point, I can't seem to gain anything at all, it's probably psychological .
I spoke to one local rider here, and he came with a theory that the Edge runs on apparent wind at higher upwind angle than my twintip, it's like they have too much difference in their upwind ability thus one kills the other or something like. One day, I had a chance to swap my SS for a Monk for a few times and the slight upwind gain was there but minimal.
I remmeber demoing this same kite back on a one week kitetrip, I once took it out in light stuff on a medium twin tip and I remmeber I struggled the same way, I could ride, do backrolls, jump and carve but gaining some ground was very difficult, at that time I did not pay too much attention to it though as I was mostly considering it for directional use. But now I wish to do both and just don'T know what piece of equipement I should swap.

Any of you have any idea of what might be wrong? (I know it's probably me )

So far I see two possible solutions to it, getting a bigger twintip (Glide, KingGee) or getting a Turbine instead.

jyka
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 85
Local Beach: laru
Style: freestyle
Gear: mixed set

Re: Can't get upwind on a.......Ozone Edge!!

Postby jyka » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:42 pm

I have 17m 2012 best TS, and it goes upwind great with 48x154cm door. But when I take my smaller board, cabrinha caliber 41x133cm it is hard to get to upwind.
If the wind is stronger and I use a smaller kite and it pulls about the same like with 17m, I can go upwind easily.
I think a big kite and small freestyle board isn't a good combination

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Re: Can't get upwind on an...Ozone Edge!

Postby Laughingman » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:13 pm

I've also never had any luck with a big kite and any board that I would not consider a light wind board, which is why my biggest kite is a 13m. If I have to use a light wind board with a big kite I may as well use a smaller kite with the same board. Big kites suck imho...

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:21 pm

Depower the kite.

once you're up and going on a fast board you don't need all the downwind grunt.

Depower a little and report back.

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kailua

Postby Hawaiis » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:10 pm

Tone wrote:Depower the kite.

+1, also put the power of the kite in the harness, not pull in on the bar.

bay surfer
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The Dam Beach
Favorite Beaches: Lake Michigan Beaches, OBX
Gear: Airush, Switch, Pansh, Kites, LF boards, Home Brewed Foils and boards

Postby bay surfer » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:35 pm

Get some a sheet of 1/2 inch AC ply and cut 2 doors out of it make one hourglass and the other straight see what you like best, Screw the fins they ruin the fun, fins make the board suck to the water and make it hard to jump, and are not needed.
Let the kite breathe, on the upstroke getting going, if your going and moving the kite you dont have enough wind, kite or board to stay upwind.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:55 pm

Agree with all of the above.

You need to pull the bar in and head downwind a bit to get up to speed, but once you are moving let the bar out a few inches and point the board upwind. This lets the kite go forward in the window and pulls you upwind. With the Edge (light bar pressure) you want your arms just resting on the bar for the max upwind angle.

If you don't have enough power to keep moving with the bar out, then there just isn't anything you can do really.

Also: Maybe it's just me, but I feel it's better to kinda pull the front of the board upwind with my front foot more than pushing hard with your back foot. That could be just from my twintip being a mako which rides with more front foot pressure.

Let us know how it goes!

Peert
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, IJmuiden, Schellinkhout, Wijk aan Zee, Marina, Mirns.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Best Roca 4m, Naish Boxer 6 and 9m, GA Pure 8m Naish Trip 10m, Gong strutless 11m Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, T40 Moses Vorace Hydrofoil + Gong Wings

Postby Peert » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:04 pm

jyka wrote:I have 17m 2012 best TS, and it goes upwind great with 48x154cm door. But when I take my smaller board, cabrinha caliber 41x133cm it is hard to get to upwind.
If the wind is stronger and I use a smaller kite and it pulls about the same like with 17m, I can go upwind easily.
I think a big kite and small freestyle board isn't a good combination

Ask the airstyle guys on this forum.. I have the the feeling they would strongly :angryfire: disagree!..
I love to be on my 19 meter (Royal Rush, LEI) and a smaller board. Either Mako 140x40 or Crazy Fly Bulldozer 135x41. No issues to get upwind on it in 10 to 12 knots of wind (should put a little questionmark there as i am typically not measuring windspeeds while I am kiting).

The 'trick' is not to aim upwind too high too soon. First make enough speed, while at speed slowly change course more upwind.

wetdog
Medium Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby wetdog » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:31 pm

Peert wrote: The 'trick' is not to aim upwind too high too soon. First make enough speed, while at speed slowly change course more upwind.
+1

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:47 pm

Tone wrote:Depower the kite.

listen to tone. push the bar out.

Return to “Kitesurfing”