Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

2015 Cabrinha lines. Is this normal?

Forum for kitesurfers
marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Re: 2015 Cabrinha lines. Is this normal?

Postby marlboroughman » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:02 am

Every time I use this bar I ask myself wtf is this??? First I keep hitting my fingers on that "override" bs where those two bungees are attached when riding with one hand. Second you can't feel how much you pull with those bungees, besides straps are so out of date even Best dumped them. And the mother of all Cabrinha contraptions the long metal spring. Sorry I just can't use the stupid thing. And how much you are paying for it? You got to be kidding.

GregWoj
Medium Poster
Gear: none
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby GregWoj » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:17 am

marlboroughman wrote:Every time I use this bar I ask myself wtf is this??? First I keep hitting my fingers on that "override" bs where those two bungees are attached when riding with one hand. Second you can't feel how much you pull with those bungees, besides straps are so out of date even Best dumped them. And the mother of all Cabrinha contraptions the long metal spring. Sorry I just can't use the stupid thing. And how much you are paying for it? You got to be kidding.
Great points and I agree. The 2015 bar has shorter sheeting length so the "coil" comes into play a bit more when needing to dump power. You actually need to push out a little on the spring where as previous years the bar just on the end would 100% depower. Also agree on the depower trim. I also hate how you cant really feel how much trim you've applied and also find myself repeatedly pulling on the black strap so get in my head that its trimmed to standard. Also, when you do trim in flight and your bar hand is in the middle, the bungees flick back and wack you in the bar hand. Not the worst thing in the world, but makes me appreciate my Core sensor bar more... simple depower rope and cleat. Easy and clean. The Cab Velocity Race bar has the depower rope... why cant the regular bar have that?

The new Cab safety system is pretty nice... much easier to reconnect in water.

Captain_East
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Ras Sedr, Sinai - El Gouna Red Sea - Sharm El Sheikh
*Red Sea - Egypt*
Gear: - Cabrinha SwitchBlade 2014 - 9 - 12 m

-Xenon Laluz 135
-Shinn Monk Forever 134
-LiquidForce - Recoil 130

Postby Captain_East » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:34 am

Had the same problem on my both bars :) on 9m and 12m SB 2014

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:05 am

Not to mention if you pull too hard on the bungee it's very easy to pull apart, and it becomes a normal line. A friend did this to mine and I had a danging depower bungee. Of course you can get a new one for only $80.

The bar is personal preference, really, I thought it was okay aside from the obvious cheapness of the parts. The grip fell apart after a few months, my center lines had stretched a full 6 inches. The marketing is very professional so you'd never know you're getting cheap china parts

the kites are still great, though, and i wouldn't hesitate to buy another one if I could get one for a decent price. cab seems to listen to their customers and things are getting better, since i've owned my own set of switchblades they have been fixing things one by one that i had complaints about. so props on that.
Last edited by dyyylan on Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

DionisKiter
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Turnagain Arm,Alaska
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby DionisKiter » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:06 am

Timop wrote:I do not know about the 2015, but the 2014's stretched alot. I took out all the figure 8 knots on the steering lines to even them. Seems to hold now. I love the 2014 8, how does the 2015 compare?
Difference between 2015 and 2014 kites is very little.
I felt that 2015 switchblades has less pivotal turning for example like Drifter kite, more of the arc turning. I felt it is a bit easier and more forgiving to boost big jumps. Kite flies slightly different than 2014 model. Some people might not even notice it.
As far as power delivery, slack line drift, wind range,etc. It is the same as 2014 kites, like comparing apples to apples.

I like 2015 switchblades just like 2014.

DionisKiter
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Turnagain Arm,Alaska
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby DionisKiter » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:09 am

Thank you all for replies!

I hope Cabrinha rocket scientists reading this forum.

Timop
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Stilbay - Western Cape
Favorite Beaches: CT bigbay, Whitesands Kommetjie, Langebaan, Stilbay, Sterkfontein, Kalpitya
Style: Big Air
Gear: Cabrinha switchblade 2014, 4, 6, 8, 11, Bandit 5 - 10. F-one acid 130. Cabrinha thruster.

Postby Timop » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:00 am

Thank you for the feedback on the 2015 DK!!!.

Just on the line stretching issue again. It is a pity that there is no easier way to adjust the lines. Although pretty simple at the moment, loosening those knots takes some patience and I have broken a tooth or two on them:-). (adjusted the 2014 lines 8 times and total stretch 25 cm)

Perhaps having a system of knots to adjust the lines makes the bar and line setup less streamlined and prone to tangles........and confirming that the lines do in fact stretch.... a lot. :-)

dragnfly
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Blackpool/ St Annes. New Brighton (UK)
Favorite Beaches: UK - Rhosneigr. New Brighton, Blackrock Sands.
Non UK - Dakhla.
Style: FS80% WS15% Strapless5%
Gear: Cabrinha FX 12,9 & SB 7m, Drifter 5m
Crazyfly Raptor ltd 136 2018 (best board ever!)
Slingshot Screamer

Postby dragnfly » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:00 am

I've not had any issue on a 2015 bar with anything banging my fingers etc - but it is seemingly impossible to wrap up in a tidy fashion - theres always bits of spring sticking out all over the place. The older bars wrapped up quite nicely when you knew how, but this 2015 isn't having it at all.
Love the release though.

ktflyer381
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Ontario
Favorite Beaches: Outer Banks
Style: Freeride, freestyle, strapless
Gear: Shinn, North

Postby ktflyer381 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:11 pm

I got to ride my 2015 Cab SB 12m yesterday in 18-20 knots of wind for a couple of hours. I checked my lines today and they hadn't stretched at all so I think that the lines came poorly adjusted from the factory. Like I posted earlier, after about half an hour of flying this kite in 9 or so knots and having it backstall occasionally I checked the line lengths and the inner lines were an inch too long. I adjusted the lines after that first session using the line connectors on the inner lines. Even after a couple of hours yesterday in about the most wind I would fly this kite, the lines were fine with no stretch.

Based on a couple of the comments in this thread I went back and checked the bar on my 2013 9m SB (which uses the same lines) and the lines were perfectly even. I remember when I got the 9m I tuned the lines once after my first couple of sessions, but they have been fine ever since.

As for the kite, I have had SB's in 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012 and 2013. The 2015 is a great version of the kite. The bar pressure is low to medium, I could fly that kite forever and not have any issues. I am coming off a 2012 Airush Lithium and the 2015 SB's bar pressure is far lighter than my Lithium. It doesn't turn quite as fast as the Lithium but it isn't far off, and the high end is much, much better. I would never personally have flown my 12m Lithium in 18-20 knots, it was no fun at all in those winds. I was on my Monk Forever because the wind was too strong for the surf board I had with me, but riding down the waves at Sandbanks in almost onshore conditions the kite drifted really, really nicely and I could stay on the waves. I'm sure the wave purists will say that it isn't a surf kite, and it isn't really, but I think it will work really nicely for guys like me who want to ride waves some days and have fun on their twin tip other days.

I have nothing to do with Cabrinha or any shops and have ridden lots of stuff over the last 10 years. I think the kite construction this year is the best I have ever seen on a kite, and the bar is really nice too. Cab didn't invent their new safety system but their version is pretty slick. I don't think the lines are poor quality as others have suggested, but I do think they should have come properly adjusted out of the factory. :nono: I would highly recommend this kite, I would say the range on the 12m is just about 10 knots with a big surf board to 20 knots.

ktflyer381
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Ontario
Favorite Beaches: Outer Banks
Style: Freeride, freestyle, strapless
Gear: Shinn, North

Postby ktflyer381 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:44 pm

Two more killer sessions this weekend with my 12m, checked again, still no stretch. Great kite.

K

Return to “Kitesurfing”