Forum for kitesurfers
Juwanna Kite
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Depower of Element v3 vs Airush Wave

Postby Juwanna Kite » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:32 am

I have a quiver of Element v1's. At both South Padre and Hood River this year I found myself sitting out sessions because I couldn't dump enough power to handle the gusts (downright scary in fact). Come to find out that this is a known issue with the v1. Supposedly they have fixed this with the v3's. However it is a no-pulley bridle. I recently bought an Ocean Rodeo Flite 14.5m that has pulleys and a tremendous range. The Airush Wave claims that you have to have pulleys to get good depower. I've tried and liked the Wave 9m but haven't had a chance to try the Element v3's.

I'm a wave rider so all the characteristics of a wave kite are important to me: drift, turn on slack lines, depower. And light bar pressure is also a requirement due to wrist issues.

So can anyone compare the two kites from experience for me? Specifically the Element v3 vs 2014/15 Airush Wave?

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Re: Depower of Element v3 vs Airush Wave

Postby Faxie » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:17 am

Depower is good. I have yet to reach the upper range of my 9m and 13m. They can easily handle a doubling of wind while still turning at a decent speed.

Didn't have issues with the V1... could fly the 11m to 24-26kts with 80kg. Key is to manage your speed.

V3 Is a great wave kite, but I would say the bar pressure is medium. More than the V1 for sure (which didn't have bar pressure at all) and a tiny bit more than the V2. I know a woman that complained about the pressure, so not sure if it's good with a wrist issue....

And yeah, with pulleys the angle of the kite can get bigger, but good luck flying the kite. Too much depower and you're on safety level :rollgrin:

Juwanna Kite
Medium Poster

Postby Juwanna Kite » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:49 am

Faxie wrote:And yeah, with pulleys the angle of the kite can get bigger, but good luck flying the kite. Too much depower and you're on safety level :rollgrin:
What do you mean by "safety level"?

I just know that a couple of times I had the v1 fully sheeted out, edging as hard as I could against the kite to try and get it to go to the edge of the wind window, and struggling to not blow up while going mach 5 because then what happens? I get tea bagged or dragged down wind?!?!?!? And incidentally when the kite is both simultaneously depowered at the bar and max powered at the kite, it does NOT want to come up. Poor response to steering input.

I'm not a newbie. Been kiting for 12 years. Flown everything from Naish r3's to Waroos, Raptures, GK Trix, and the Element v1's.

I mentioned this being overpowered on the switchkite forum and got several responses back that they had also experienced this "hanging on for dear life".

I just know that on both the Flite 14.5m and the Airush Wave 9m that I can still control the kite and what I'm doing when it's completely depowered.

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:28 am

I mean that you're that much depowered that the kite's almost completely flagged out, like on a safety. There's a limit on depower until the kite falls out of the sky.

Well, the V3 has a better range than the V1, so shouldn't be a problem.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:57 pm

Hej juwanna,

What you describe is exactly what I experienced on Element v1. Also have 12 years kiting.
Bar pressure on V1 is not low. Its about right. I can tell you Core Xr2 17LW has same bar pressure as Element 13 v1. Ride E1 13 for 2 seasons.
I bought a Core XR3 12m to replace the E13.
Huge range, light on bar, drifts better, more low end and top end. Super stable at high end.

I'd recommend changing to another kite.

Im 80 kg and ride unstrapped surfboard.

switchkites
Medium Poster
Gear: SwitchKites
Brand Affiliation: SwitchKites

Postby switchkites » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:00 am

Hello Juwanna Kite:
At Switch, we understand there are many choices and work hard to make the best kites for the best price. We are confident the new Element3 proves this. Element3 is very stable, with excellent de-power, range and drift. Following are a few recent reviews.
Cheers!
Yesterday I was on the 9M and the wind just stared to blow huge half way through my session at Roosevelt, most of the other Kiters went in to get smaller kites. I just pulled the depower line and enjoyed the bigger swells. The point being this kite absorbs gusts better than any kite have ever flown, and depowers amazingly. Thus the wind range is far bigger than most kites, as I said most of the other Kiters went in for 7M kites, I could stay out on the 9 M NO problem.
This kite rocks in the surf! No need for a method V3. yesterday was off shore wind crazy gusty conditions and the element v3 performed perfect. The further you go down wind at our riding spot in side off conditions the more wind shadowing you get. Went way down wind in the danger zone where kites usually fall out of the sky. Was on one big wave where usually I would have to constantly work the kite and just parked it on the inside and surfed down the line like it wasnt there just drifting along. WOW!!!
Got a little time on the 9m V3 yesterday. Waves were small and the wind started light building to well powered. Most everyone was on 9 and 10m kites. The kite has decent low end power. What I thought stood out most and worth mentioning were the downwind drift and the ease of flying the kite one handed. It made for fun down the line rides. Was impressed on how easy it was to steer the kite thru the bottom turn and redirect it for the top turns all one handed. I think I am going to be very happy with the Elements
Look no furthar for the best 7m kite ever! Surfed with this kite all day in 20-30 mph winds. No need for a method v3 this is a insane surf kite. Turns great,drifts awesome,and has soo much grunt for a little kite. I weigh 190lbs and this kite pulled me no problem. When the wind was really strong I had the kite fully depowerd. This little kite is one bad muther. I'm guessing a lighter person could ride this kite In some pretty light wind with a surf board. I am completely stoked out of my brains with this kite.

esg
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 200
Local Beach: Hawaii
Gear: Naish

Postby esg » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:03 am

I had the first version Element and can relate to everything you've described. That kite ruined many sessions when everyone else was out in the water having a blast. It got to the point where I didn't even want to go kiting anymore.
I've since started riding Naish Parks. My newly purchased 2014 Park has no pulleys and light bar pressure with excellent range and depower. It's amazing in waves and blasting around on a twin tip. It's the best kite I've ever owned.

Return to “Kitesurfing”