Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Freestyle Freeride Airstyle Defined Please.

Forum for kitesurfers
Okinawa Kiter
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mibaru Okinawa Japan
Favorite Beaches: Mibaru Okinawa Japan
Miyako
Style: Free Ride
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 3 12m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Freestyle Freeride Airstyle Defined Please.

Postby Okinawa Kiter » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:12 pm

Finding it hard to know the differences in these three disciplines. What uniquely sets them apart?

1) Freeride more mowing the lawn then popping off jumps as long as they aren't handle passes or maybe called out as a Freestyler? And not spending too much time in the air or maybe called an Airstyler?

2) Freestyle. Free from the Chicken Loop? Is it more stylish than the other disciplines since usually spinning in a dancing motion?

3) Airstyle. Spending as much time in the air but don't do handle passes or dare to unhook or would be called a freestyler? You would be spending the least amount of time on the water only enough to keep your ground or would be called a freerider.

Am I close?

I ask because I have no idea what kind of rider I would say I am. I like all fluid moves and don't like look like having an epileptic seizure. Is there a discipline name for that?

jens
Medium Poster
Local Beach: madison wi

Re: Freestyle Freeride Airstyle Defined Please.

Postby jens » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:30 pm

There is only freestyle. That's the beauty of kiteboarding. The gear enables one to freely exploit all conditions. It's only when some lock themselves into one small aspect of kiting does there become a Grey area.

Okinawa Kiter
Frequent Poster
Miyako

Postby Okinawa Kiter » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:54 pm

So Freestyle means anything Wake, freeride, Airstyle? I'm more confused now. Hahaha
I like Older stuff from Adam Koch as well as Toby and Dimity's stuff. I'd like to do some of all their moves and create my own style. Maybe make a name for it perhaps ADTODI Style. :thumb:

jens
Medium Poster
Local Beach: madison wi

Postby jens » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:01 pm

Yes, free to do it all. Dimitri is a great example effortless transition from on aspect to another, often all in the same session.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:58 am

mmmm maybe freestyle is the start of the nomenclature tree, bifurcating into wakestyle (which stops there, ya either unhooking and doing passess or your a dick in boots) and freeride, whereby freeride splits into wave (which then breaks into hooked and unhooked, which both break into waveriding or aerial freestyle, airstyle and airstyle breaks into two hooked and unhooked which then breaks into...

ah shit, its all freestyle. :D

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:13 am

i dont think anyone knows for sure what freestyle, free riding, all around, you name it <--- this is what people say when they are not sure what box to put it in. so call yourself freestyle or free riding it's all good.

The defined terms are

Wakestyle -- unhooked with handle passes. Same tricks as wakeboarding. This is the style you use in the PKRA professional kiteboarding events.

Wave riding -- obvious. you ride waves.

airstyle -- term pioneered by toby brauer. Hooked in air trick mid level to upper level jumps with multiple rotations and multiple board passes usually under 25 knots of wind. You want a kite with good float for airstyle.

big air -- obvious. huge air. Requires at least 25 knots wind and features single rotations, board offs and megaloops. This is what the red bull contest is all about. Height is the most important thing here.

racing -- obvious you race

Old School -- this term is a bit ambiguous. I guess it means airstyle + big air

New School -- this term is supposed to mean wakestyle but it's also a bit ambiguous because it's not really new. Lou Wainman was doing wakestyle as soon as kiteboarding was invented, we have videos of him in 2000-2001 riding this way

so freestyle freeride, it means whatever you want it to mean. Airstyle is a bit more precise.

I like the terms airstyle, wakestyle, wave riding and big air the best. If you are free riding you can mix it up and use all the styles, which doesn't really say anything, you might as well just say I was out kiteboarding.

If you like to go drive around in your car you don't say you freedrive your car you just say you like driving. Same with kiteboarding you don't need to say you like freeriding or freestyle kiteboarding just say you enjoy kiteboarding.

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:00 am

freeride - boosting and maybe simple spins, grabs etc. mostly about riding and having fun, kind of open-ended as far as what you do

freestyle - unhooked tricks, i don't think freestyle really exists any more, it's more just called wakestyle now

airstyle - doing ballet while dangling

sijandy
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freestyle
Gear: kites and boards

Postby sijandy » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:20 am

Westozzy wrote: (which stops there, ya either unhooking and doing passess or your a dick in boots)
Boots/bindings are simply a method of attaching yourself to your board, whether your busting mobes or just cruising up and down it doesn't matter, your equipment doesn't determine your style.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:58 am

Freestyle: unhooked (technical)
Airstyle: hooked (show)
Freeride: unhooked and hooked

Okinawa Kiter
Frequent Poster
Miyako

Postby Okinawa Kiter » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:01 am

Hahahaha Every single definition above is different! Love it.

OK I "kiteboard" No one please ask me what kind of. :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”