Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Freestyle Freeride Airstyle Defined Please.

Forum for kitesurfers
Okinawa Kiter
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mibaru Okinawa Japan
Favorite Beaches: Mibaru Okinawa Japan
Miyako
Style: Free Ride
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 3 12m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Freestyle Freeride Airstyle Defined Please.

Postby Okinawa Kiter » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:33 pm

Wow! Wake up to see a shit fight. Ok guess it's a touchy subject. Best to close this thread if it's getting down to bad talking others over a simple definition. Was meant to be a fun discussion. Love what you do and keep your shorts wet!

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:30 pm

Okinawa Kiter wrote:Wow! Wake up to see a shit fight. Ok guess it's a touchy subject. Best to close this thread if it's getting down to bad talking others over a simple definition. Was meant to be a fun discussion. Love what you do and keep your shorts wet!

Nailed it. :D

Macisback
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kahuna Surf House, Kiti, Larnaca
Favorite Beaches: Kahuna Surf House, Les Dauphins, Soma Bay, Prasonissi, Boracay, Tarifa, Sotavento
Style: Airstyle, Hydrofoil, Wave
Gear: Naish, North & Zeeko Kites, Flysurfer and RL Boards, Zeeko and Iero Hydrofoils

Postby Macisback » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:17 am

To all the jens, starkys and other guys who think that kiting is only wakestyle and wakestylers are on top of the food chain, I have got news for you :-)

All self announced hardcore wakestylers i have met in the last years had a few things in common.

Mostly ignorant against all other kiters. Never saw an oldschooler that was ignorant.
Mostly low on cash but couldnt stop bragging how great they were. Never saw an oldschooler..
Mostly gave it the big one about how girls like them. Never heard an oldschooler...
Mostly risked their and others health while showing off and crashing on and near the beach. Never saw an oldschooler...

Reality bites, because after the beach parties it was mostly the chilled oldschooler who took that hot chick home.

Reality bites, because lowlifes obviously have nothing left except trying to trash others.

The cool wakestylers i met behaved as tolerant as oldschoolers and they ripped on the water big time, but they also boosted some Big Airs :-)

Tolerance guys - obviously a long way to go and lots of learning for some of you!

And to answer your question:
Yes of course sometimes I ride to entertain people - its great to promote the sport and great fun with friends!
But at the same time I enjoy myself no matter if I kite alone or in front of a (kite event) audience.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:54 am

Okinawa Kiter wrote:Wow! Wake up to see a shit fight. Ok guess it's a touchy subject. Best to close this thread if it's getting down to bad talking others over a simple definition. Was meant to be a fun discussion. Love what you do and keep your shorts wet!

haha well okinawa I think you finally have your answer. The answer is there's three questions you just dont ask. one of them is politics. the second is religion. The third is what is airstyle.

KiteboardingTampaBay
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tampa Bay area
Brand Affiliation: School owner,Kiteboarding Tampa Bay
Tampa Bay Kiteboarding Association
Freak Dog Kites

Postby KiteboardingTampaBay » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:38 am

Who will be crowned the true Wakestyle vs. Old School Forum Fodder Champion?
Watch till the end and find out-

www.kiteboardingtampabay.com

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:23 am

if it comes to styles, it is never fun...it is religion to some people.
And where religion can mislead you can see in many areas of the world...Starsky would serve well in Iraq! :o

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:50 am

OMG seriously? You are such a tool.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:12 am

Well Starksy, while I cannot subscribe to Toby's last point (I feel he may have finally cracked given the criticism of what he is most passionate about and indeed some of this has been relatively personal) I'd like to say a few things.

I don't mind your posts per say, you articulate a relatively decent argument on this areas of discussion and others I might add.

But what I would like to add is Toby is someone who is part of the re-emergence of old school (let's not mix words shall we) and indeed taking the roots of kiting and trying to generate interest in young riders taking it further than it has ever been.

And he rides at the near or close to the highest level at this chosen discipline...and it is all on video to show his strengths and weaknesses. Whether you like it or not, he rides at a level you or I don't and that's a fact in this area.

You on the other hand do not ride at the highest level of your chosen kiting discipline nor most others on here. But that's fine, we are all trying to improve every sessions at whatever discipline of kiting we choose.

And yet you choose at every occasion to denigrate this enthusiastic and passionate approach and yet, in the end you are just a hack like the rest of us comparatively speaking.

That I feel is the intent behind Toby's last post but I'm not sure he chose his words correctly maybe he did... :D

I cannot fathom your or others disdain for this re-emergence.

Let me tell you what real wakestylers are like...the ones I know and respect.

At every occasion they can, they are at a cable park, if that doesn't suffice they are behind a boat, honing their craft. They then translate this to their kiting. They are the true wakestylers in my mind, they ride with power and without compromise and I love watching them in action. Infact I love watching even the pkra...just technically unreal and balls to chuck down stuff at their own peril.

Indeed my favourite thing to watch is ariel directional work actually because I know how damn hard that is!

But I won't d, is bang on about wakestylers at every chance nor those who choose to ride surfboards, or race boards or whatever...

Every discipline deserves the opportunity to grow and develop. Not to be knocked down and denigrated by near hacks without a clue.

You wouldn't see Lenten or Kevin L on here knocking other styles.

That's the issue here..your detrite (damn another word I just made up) attitude towards this style, at every given opportunity and that doesn't make sense to me.

fdvj
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: lancing
Style: freeride
Gear: naish nobile

Postby fdvj » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:40 am

Wake style - for the under 25s - hence the teenage angst.

Free ride - for the weekend warrior, midlife crisis dude- hence the relaxed attitude to kiting.

Big air- for those dedicated to the rush- Hence the extreme happiness or despondency .

Airstyle- for those that have kited for ages and don't want to hurt themselves anymore and consider socks with sandals to be acceptable.

Wave riders - surfers or wannabe surfers that spend most of their time frustrated at conditions or competition for space- hence the usual angst.

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:44 am

Claiming wakestyle and his photo is of him doing a railey with his kite at noon...

pmsl.

Return to “Kitesurfing”