BraCuru Foilboards

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: BraCuru Foilboards

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:58 pm

antonell0 wrote:Almost the same: 178x 73kg
Stance is ok, the main issue is that, if you start going fast, you need to move forward by 5cm.
I was considering this while modifying my next board (north nugget)
Just a sidenote:

Different foils behave differently regarding trim.

Some does not need more front foot pressure when going faster, being neutral as I would call it.

On the freeride wing by Zeeko, when I switch to that one, I actually stand at exactly the same position, or even move my rear foot back slightly (mostly if going deep of course) - when going faster.

Other foils need more front foot pressure at higher speeds (Spotz and Moses ?), to keep "neutral" trim.

8) PF

BraCuru
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Grzybowo, Kołobrzeg, Polish Baltic Coast
Favorite Beaches: Polish Baltic Beach
Style: foilboarding
Gear: Flysurfer Souls, Moses Hydrofoil, BraCuru Boards
Brand Affiliation: Moses HF

Postby BraCuru » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:11 pm

Slyde wrote:Hi Marek, very nice boards. Having built many boards over the years I can appreciate the time that goes in to making a product of this quality.
Thank you.
Do you think that simply dropping some new inserts that moved the front foot forward 10cm would unbalance the board if I had the rear strap as far back as possible?
I afraid it would destroy the balance. I would suggest to ride it strapless for couple of hours (especially downwinds!) and check location of your feet. This is how I establish my settings once testing unknown foil for the first time.
To be honest - placing of the strap inserts in relation to the foil inserts and the board itself is pretty complicated. Still working on it :oops: My idea is to place the back foot at the very possible end of a tail (to keep the board's length shorter). This is a starting point. Than foil inserts and finally front foot.

Additionally the rider's stance changes with time. It varies due to following facts (known to me):
- experience of a rider. Beginners starts with smaller stance. In my case it was 40cm with Moses board. I increased it upto 68cm with my board and tested Sword last week . However with Vorace it is around 55cm now. Need to test it with 60 next time.
- length of the legs. Obvious matter.
- size of the board.
- AR of a foil.
During last week Europeans I was happy to hear from a top rider that my latest settings (extreme stance of 68cm) were perfect for him. It means that the narrower stance settings must be comfortable for the rest.
Taking all above you can imagine how complicated is to make one board matching the wide range of foils. My next boards will have the us boxes 25 or maybe 30cm long. That would help to find the sweet position for Silente, Vorace, Levitaz, Sword, Magma and old Carafino.
antonell0 wrote:The original Moses board is too small. That's a fact. Period.
Agreed.
Now we know it but when the board was designed 3-4 years ago we were in different times.
Foilboards 2014 are getting pretty same outline, volume, shape. Similar story to the last three years of development of Formula Kite boards.

Slyde
Frequent Poster

Postby Slyde » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:39 am

Thanks Marek. I have decided to modify my old generation 1 skillit. They were the strongest of the Skillits with a pine veneer beneath the deck.
A couple of questions for you (and Antoine):
I already have inline footplugs in the skillit so will keep the rear footplugs and place the mast and front angled-footplugs working from the position of the rear strap. I am about your size also and will go for a 55-60 cm stance width which should be good for the Silente given this is a freeride and not a race foil. Can you tell me the measurements you used from the front insert of the rear strap to the mast to make this balance OK with a 55cm stance width?
Initially I was planning to drop in a couple of 10 inch US fin boxes but have decided against this as I take my foil off to fit it in the car and having to align everything each time I assemble it seems like a PITA, so I will stick with brass inserts. My plan is this:
Cut a 150mm wide x 300mm long hole from the bottom of the board and deepen this to reach the deck (glass and pine veneer deck). Epoxy 3 layers of 6oz eglass beneath deck. Fill cutout with a block of high density Divinycell foam epoxied in. Epoxy two full-depth wooden battens longitudinally into the foam along the line of the proposed brass inserts. Glass over everything with 3 layers 6oz eglass lapping onto existing glass and fair it all. One cured I should be able to drill holes into the wooden battens, seal the wood with epoxy, and screw threaded brass inserts directly into the wood. Because the wooden battens will be 300mm long I then have the option of simply drilling in new inserts if I need to move the mast position forwards or backwards in the future.
Does this sound strong enough?
Thanks for your help.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:30 pm

Sorry if speaking out of turn but:
Get stainless inserts instead, stronger.
No need to screw them in, can use the kind of insert with a flange on the bottom.
Drill hole oversize with a router or press to get good alignment. Coat with epoxy. Drop in inserts.(first sealing insert screw hole with tape, plasticine, or a screw coated in petroleum jelly unless you get the inserts that come with the hole sealed by a plastic film already). Fill hole with epoxy thickened with a structural filler - not micro balloons. layers glass patches over top.
Open inserts carefully with a drill that's wider than the hole, very low speed.
This is how I do nearly all blind inserts.
It's a big pain to get the screw-in kind aligned, for me at least.
Also re: alignment, you may want to even build the insert and reinforcement onto the top of the foil strut, then route out a cavity in the board to take it.
Simplest/ugliest will be to go with 4 reinforced holes and through bolt though.
If you do end up with stainless inserts, remember to use a bit of anti-seize.

BraCuru
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BraCuru » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:14 pm

Slyde wrote:Thanks Marek. I have decided to modify my old generation 1 skillit. They were the strongest of the Skillits with a pine veneer beneath the deck.
Good choice. Cabrinha wave boards got bulletproof shell and superb core. For waves I use Silente attached to the S-Quad 5'3''.
Can you tell me the measurements you used from the front insert of the rear strap to the mast to make this balance OK with a 55cm stance width?
If you want to stick to the classic mount I would suggest to install inserts for two mounts.One for Silente. Second for Vorace.
For Silente mount - keep distance of 7cm between the back inserts of the mount and the front insert of the back foot strap.
For Vorace mount - keep distance of 2cm between the back inserts of the mount and the front insert of the back foot strap.
As I remember well S-Killit have 4 adjustment positions for the back foot. Obviously choose one of the middle inserts as your "zero datum".
Initially I was planning to drop in a couple of 10 inch US fin boxes but have decided against this as I take my foil off to fit it in the car and having to align everything each time I assemble it seems like a PITA, so I will stick with brass inserts.
Once you find your position - just mark it with a marker. Don't see a problem.
My next boards will have these trim boxes too.
My plan is this:
... I should be able to drill holes into the wooden battens, seal the wood with epoxy, and screw threaded brass inserts directly into the wood.
Follow BWD advice :allbegood: or:
The mounts in my board are made of a perforated plywood board with nut holes made in it from the top (not a bottom) to a half depth of the plywood board. It ensures better impact resistance than any holes which go through. You will break a foil strut first before you scratch such a mount system.
The stainless steel nuts are aligned by drying them while connected to outside Moses mount stencil.

In the meantime:
- somewhere in Spain:

- somewhere in Poland:
Last edited by BraCuru on Thu May 24, 2018 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Slyde
Frequent Poster

Postby Slyde » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:17 pm

Thanks guys, good advice. BWD would you use the wooden battens as I have suggested or just epoxy the inserts into the Divinycell? I think I will make a jig to match the mast base so I get the inserts aligned accurately.

BraCuru
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BraCuru » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:11 pm

Slyde wrote: BWD would you use the wooden battens as I have suggested or just epoxy the inserts into the Divinycell? I think I will make a jig to match the mast base so I get the inserts aligned accurately.
Battens - probably would work, especially with length 300mm...
...however:
You are going to carry out a heart surgery on an opened chest.
Once it is wide opened I would add two stiffener connecting both battens at their ends.
It would make the construction stronger than just two battens and its weight would be only 50-80 gramms heavier.

SpunMonkey
Medium Poster
Style: Directionals, foils, and sailing
Gear: Foils, underwater and in the air
Been thanked: 0

Postby SpunMonkey » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:20 pm

Lots of great Info BarCuru. Beautiful work as well.

When you and others mention stance, are you measuring from inside to inside of foot or center to center?

Thanks for the inspiration, just made my first wooden decked board.

BraCuru
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BraCuru » Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:03 am

SpunMonkey wrote:When you and others mention stance, are you measuring from inside to inside of foot or center to center?
center to center!
Thanks for the inspiration, just made my first wooden decked board.
A lot of satisfaction :thumb: Enjoy it at least as me riding my boards 8)

BraCuru
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BraCuru » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:04 am

To update the topic.
New board design will be tested this month. New shape, new ideas. Wonder to check how does it work.
In the meantime I went though video archives and found unused footage.
Short vids.
1. Straps fitted for the first time - fun of jumping:

2. Air tacking trials in July. Funny thing that I could do it easy on a starboard tack but no way on a port one. A week later it was vice-versa. Strange :-?
Last edited by BraCuru on Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Hydrofoil”