Rare Poster
Gear: North Rebel
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

What Kite/Bar combo works with Ocean Rodeo Bar

Postby benhowe2 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:08 pm

Hi All,

Im looking for a bit of advice on a new kite. I travel with work so want to keep it to one bar for the weight. Also the cost of bars is so high that one is good for me. I have a 2014 Ocean Rodeo 4 line Bar and I'm looking to buy a 12m kite. I have the 9.5 OR Prodigy but I'm looking for a kite with a bit more uplift for the 12. More intermediate-Advanced. I tried the bar with a Liquid force (old kite, about 2008) and although it flew, it felt like the back lines were far too long even when adjusted to the shortest setting. She just didn't want to turn without a massive amount of movement.

Any advice on brands that work together will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ben

whabbits
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Vancouver Island, BC
Favorite Beaches: Comox, BC
Nitinaht Lake. BC
Port Renfrew, BC
Style: learning anything
Gear: LOL, kiting too expensive now.
Brand Affiliation: None, but I used to work at Ocean Rodeo.

Re: What Kite/Bar combo works with Ocean Rodeo Bar

Postby whabbits » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:13 pm

Any kite that flags out on 2 front lines will \ should work.

I could be wrong on these...
OR Razor
North 4-line kites
BWS
CAB prior to 2014
F-One

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:22 pm

Its better these days, but you often run into trim issues when mixing and matching brands.

If you want one bar to work across a number of kites, you have to trim each kite to the bar. This means that in the case of the LF that was not turning, you have to adjust the pigtails on the kite to get it in trim with the bar. Its really not tough, and takes one short little beach session to get done. Usually just involves tying a couple new knots in the pigtails, or worst case adding some length by replacing with longer pigtails.

Be sure the kite will safety properly with the type of safety on the bar. The post above highlights which kites will flag with a double front line safety like the one on your bar. You can also rig the bar to flag to a single front line safety with very little tinkering and then it will work with all kites across all brands.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:20 pm

benhowe2 wrote:I tried the bar with a Liquid force (old kite, about 2008) and although it flew, it felt like the back lines were far too long even when adjusted to the shortest setting. She just didn't want to turn without a massive amount of movement.

sounds like you were using a liquid force kite like the 2007 havoc designed for a 2:1 pulley bar. No modern kite requires a pulley bar.

Your choice of 2014 kites is limited to what whabbits said. naish, cabrinha, slingshot, liquid force, ozone, (and north in 2015), best, wainman have all switched from mini-5th to single center flagging kites

if you want more flexibility in kite choice you are going to have to upgrade your control bar. Otherwise . . . I guess just buy another ocean rodeo if you like their kites.

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:35 pm

BWS kites fly with a single line flagging.

Sounds like you should consider OR Razor....lots more oomph than Prodigy. I have several friends with them that love them.

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:42 pm

Ben!

If you're considering a bit more of an aggressive kite than the 9.5 Prodigy look no further than our 12m Razor! All of our kites work with all of our bars, so this is not a concern!

The Razor is a much faster turning kite designed to carry through the loops and work great unhooked if you're progressing towards that style of riding. Also, specific to your comments, the Razor jumps higher than the Prodigy. The Prodigy jumps well and has a ton of glide and hang time while the Razor's speed and design see it jump faster and higher with a more dramatic "yank" off the water when you pull the trigger.

Hope this helps!

benhowe2
Rare Poster
Gear: North Rebel
Been thanked: 0

Postby benhowe2 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:04 am

Thanks for the responses everyone. Great feedback for me to think about. Now just need some wind to try a couple out.

Thanks again all.

adamj2281
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Charleston, SC - Folly Beach
Favorite Beaches: Folly Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Playa Avellanas, Barker's, GC, East End, St. Croix,VI
Style: Surf mostly, some freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam 7,12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
5'2" North Whip CSC
5'4" Tomo Hydroshort
Nobile 2HD
Slingshot H4 Batwing foil
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Postby adamj2281 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:51 am

I currently own the 12m OR Razor and have flown the F-One Bandits and North Fuse.

I'll say this, the OR Razor is by far the most aggressive of the kites in terms of turning speed, looping, and aggressive yank off the water. The fuse has more hangtime, but it's a gradual lift and drop, the Razor rips you off the water which I prefer.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the kites, just depends on what you are looking for.

Return to “Kitesurfing”