Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Extreme itch due to wetsuit? Fresh water? red dry blotches..

Forum for kitesurfers
Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Extreme itch due to wetsuit? Fresh water? red dry blotches..

Postby Laughingman » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:43 pm

This is driving me nuts!
Here are the details
brand new wetsuit this summer
Hyperflex amp 3 4/3 fully lined inside with a soft white and black material
I am kiting in cold fresh water
My old switch wetsuit I would get a bit itchy after my session but this new one I am not only itchy but I am getting red spots from dime size to quarter size on the back of my thighs, back, inside of my fore arm etc... seems every time I go out it reacts someplace new. (very similar to phorisis which I also have but manage with medication)
It is taking up to a week to get the red areas to disappear, it is getting to the point where I am not going kiting because of the work I have to put into managing the itch and spots.
I disinfect my wetsuit each time I use it with wetsuit disinfectant... maybe that is what I am reacting too?
I've also read about swimmers itch but the reaction does not really look similar except that its red.
I know I should probably talk to my doctor but after years of failed phorisis treatments I pretty know what they are going to tell me... don't wear a wetsuit or try to stay out of fresh water...
Anyone else suffer from this? If so what have you tried? I'm using hydrocortisone to treat it... seems to work but it takes over a week and many applications.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Extreme itch due to wetsuit? Fresh water? red dry blotch

Postby plummet » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:05 pm

Stop pissing in the wet suit!.....

Maybe use a rash vest with long arms and lycra dick pants.

I'd ditch the disinfectant. Why add additional chemicals? I only hose mine down in water.

Perhaps the fresh water spot you kite in is polluted? maybe a dry suit is in order?

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:07 pm

sure sounds like an allergic reaction to this year's Hyperflex neoprene formulation one of the chemicals don't agree with you. there are reasons it might not have been this bad until now. try a different brand wetsuit or buy a thin polypropylene undersuit like the one hyperflex sells to wear under your wetsuit. I react this way on my feet to knock off gummi shoes, but actual crocs don't bother me at all.

shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron
Favorite Beaches: In Order:
Mauritius, Soma Bay, Egypt/ Cape Town, SA/ Cayo Guillermo, Cuba/ Sherkston, Canada/ El Gouna, Egypt/ Paje, Zanzibar/ Oliphant, Canada/ Kalpitya/ Dakhla, Morocco/ Boracay, Philippines/ Sri Lanka/ Wasaga Beach, Canada
Style: Freeride/Race
Gear: Cabrinha
Has thanked: 0

Postby shawn13 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:13 pm

I was having this issue with a new NP suit I bought at the beginning of the season. After a few uses it went away. I am thinking there was some chemical in the suit that has since been flushed out. I don't use a chemical cleaner. I rinse the suit in the shower with fresh water and let it air dry.

Its possible the bacteria and pollution in the cherry beach water just absorbed and destroyed whatever was in the wet suit that was bothering me :thumb:

William Munney
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: West Meadow, GSB
Gear: North X-Ride, Airush Sector 60, North Rebels, 6m, 7m, 9m, 12m, 16m
Been thanked: 0

Postby William Munney » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:23 pm

Swimmer's itch would be on areas not covered by the wetsuit and looks more like bites.

eree
Very Frequent Poster

Postby eree » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:40 pm

plummet wrote:Stop pissing in the wet suit!.....
Maybe use a rash vest with long arms and lycra dick pants.
I'd ditch the disinfectant. Why add additional chemicals? I only hose mine down in water.
Perhaps the fresh water spot you kite in is polluted? maybe a dry suit is in order?
my thought exactly.

i rinse the wetsuit with the warm water in the bath tab as soon as i get home, and once in the month or so just soak in the soapy water before the rinse, use "sensitive" soap without the artificial odorants.

i dry the wetsuit after the session as soon as i can in the well ventilated place. dry your wetsuit after the rinsing inside out first. then the outer side.

i have two of every thickness wetsuits just to use perfectly dried wetsuit each time.

i newer pee in the wetsuit.

i use medical alcohol based spray hand disinfectant for odor elimination only on well dried booties.

put the wetsuit on just before you session, do not drive to the spot wearing the wetsuit and do not drive home wearing the wetsuit.

and the most important - check your spots fresh water for algae's. some of them are very allergic

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board

Postby Laughingman » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:54 pm

Okay...lol
1. I have never pissed in my wetsuit
2. I kite in the great lakes, last Friday I was in Lake St. Clair at Mitchel's Bay, and then Saturday I was in Lake Huron at Kettle Point. Lake St. Clair is not so clean, its marshy, lots of birds and ducks etc....but Lake Huron is pretty good, the reaction on Sunday was much worse then it was Saturday morning. Maybe I just really pissed it off by kiting two days in a row.... I want to go this afternoon but I'm afraid it will get out of hand if I don't give it a chance to heal.
I am pretty diligent about keeping my stuff clean and dry so I will switch off the disinfectant to soap and water and I am going to wear my old suit next time I go out to see if that helps, I hope my Hyperflex is not the cause, it is so frigging warm and comfortable to wear.....
Thanks for the advice guys.

Bigdog
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Wolfe Island
Style: Old and grey surfer dude style
Gear: Core xr5 and windego boards
Been thanked: 0

Postby Bigdog » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:10 pm

It could be swimmers itch/duck rash. The allergic reaction to those little buggers could be getting worse and allergies often do. See what happens with your old suit for sure though. We get that here in Kingston area but on me it's like little bites that get crusty but last for days.

waynepjh
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone edges and c4
Brand Affiliation: Ozone team rider

Postby waynepjh » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:16 pm

It might be sweat. My wetsuit gets really itchy when I am sweating and staying pretty dry cause it's a new wetsuit. Maybe try flushing out your suit a couple times during a session. Jmo

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Laughingman » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:24 pm

Bigdog wrote:It could be swimmers itch/duck rash. The allergic reaction to those little buggers could be getting worse and allergies often do. See what happens with your old suit for sure though. We get that here in Kingston area but on me it's like little bites that get crusty but last for days.
So you get this on areas that are covered up by your wetsuit?

Return to “Kitesurfing”