Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Extreme itch due to wetsuit? Fresh water? red dry blotches..

Forum for kitesurfers
marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Re: Extreme itch due to wetsuit? Fresh water? red dry blotch

Postby marlboroughman » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:29 pm

I used to get eczema as soon as the weather turns cold and the heat was on in the house and in the car. I read an article about doctors arguing on use of soap how often etc. More and more dermatologist are saying that we should shower everyday but not use the soap more than every second day or less. I experimented to the point I shower without the soap for six weeks straight until I get a haircut and have to use it or I work in the attic or something and get really dirty. What a difference no itching no scratching no spots nothing even less wrinkles under the eyes since I don't use the shampoo either just water. Try it and see what happens. :lol: I just wait for the jokes but hey I am only 155 lbs and don't sweat like a pig. Oh that brings me to another revelation you start to sweat less in this program. The family jewels are exempted from the program for special occasions. :lol: The reason I bring this up is that when we use the soap we wash away skin protective barrier and that's when the problems start. That protective barrier even protects skin from UV so why the hell we are trying to get rid of it nobody knows.

14ToeSide
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Sandy Spit
Gear: North, Ozone, Naish, Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: What ever works Best that year

Postby 14ToeSide » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:46 am

I don't want to be downwind!!

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby marlboroughman » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:58 am

:lol: That's another plus of this program I get all the space on the wave. :lol:

Dan Glyaire
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Dan Glyaire » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:18 am

it does sound like it might be eczema.. lay off the soap.. use non soap cleansers.. moisturizers after shower/bath.. lukewarm water..
actually if its eczema..vasilene on the spots work best..
easy on the cortizone..that can really weaken your skin. if used a lot.
and dont scratch it.
i never had it before until last year..and something in my new winter boots triggered it.
just have to live with it, and manage it as well as possible.
but..again..defo no hot water and soap.
my dermatologist recomended to move to a moderate salt water climate..
working on it..
dr's orders.. haha

anyway,,going to see a dr is probably better than asking on a kiteforum.

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby marlboroughman » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:53 am

There is a natural product that you can use instead of Vaseline since it is a petroleum product so prolonged exposure is not the best either as long you are not allergic to it. I used it long time ago while skiing long hrs and getting frost bites on my face. Local highlanders who did long sessions on telemark skis used it and gave it to me. It is called pure Lanolin and it is collected from the Sheep skin after wool is shaved. This product is rediscovered now by medical profession and used after chemo among others and it is effective for eczema given one is not allergic to it. You know what they say about bitter cough syrup: It taste horrible but it is good for you...well this one smells like sheep's ass but it is good for your skin. :lol: Available at amazon.com.

sijandy
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freestyle
Gear: kites and boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby sijandy » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:44 pm

Not close to the level of what some of you guys seem to be suffering but i always get unbelievably itchy calves almost within seconds of getting out the water, but only ever calves for some reason. I just scratch the shit out of em with my towel n it goes away... i do piss in the suit sometimes but that doesn't explain why just the calves.

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish pivots 9,11, rpm 7,8,10,12 cf raptor ltd 136,140

Postby pj sofine » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:15 pm

Have you considered sabotage? Covert op by someone close to you? Who has the most to gain keeping you off water? If it was me I'd be launching a counter covert action against the main suspect,my wife! :allbegood: :nono: :anonym: :duel:

William Munney
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: West Meadow, GSB
Gear: North X-Ride, Airush Sector 60, North Rebels, 6m, 7m, 9m, 12m, 16m

Postby William Munney » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:57 pm

sijandy wrote:Not close to the level of what some of you guys seem to be suffering but i always get unbelievably itchy calves almost within seconds of getting out the water, but only ever calves for some reason. I just scratch the shit out of em with my towel n it goes away... i do piss in the suit sometimes but that doesn't explain why just the calves.
That might be swimmer's itch if your calves are exposed. Vigorous rubbing with a towel is actually recommended, if you let the water evaporate on the skin the larvae will burrow in.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:03 pm

pj sofine wrote:Have you considered sabotage? Covert op by someone close to you? Who has the most to gain keeping you off water? If it was me I'd be launching a counter covert action against the main suspect,my wife! :allbegood: :nono: :anonym: :duel:

:rollgrin: my wife kites so that would not be in her best interest... but certainly something to consider for those with non kiter SO...

DrLightWind
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Matheson Hammock Park Miami
Favorite Beaches: Crandon Beach, Hobbie Beach, Keys, St. Lucia, St. Marteen,
Style: Old School
Gear: Flysurfer15m and 21m Speed3 DLX
RealWind Mutant 148 X 40 and Directional 190 X 48, F-One TT 128 X35, Dereck Semi Directional 143 X 38 and 177 X 46.

Postby DrLightWind » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:08 pm

I believe that reaction is caused by insufficient flushing of waste and toxins from the body,
as well as water retention in a moist environment that causes Dampness.
To see a good Acupuncturist and helping with acupuncture and Chinese herbal therapy
would heal skin conditions, which provides longer-lasting relief than Western methods.
In Traditional Chinese Medicine, the 2 main sources behind skin problems are believed
to be Heat & Dampness.
The term Heat refers to distress in the body which can be triggered by overwork, overexercise,
or over-activated hormones in a wet environment and suppressed emotional anger.
In a more sensitive person eating Chocolate and drinking Coffee can cause "Toxic Fire" retention,
which is difficult to get rid of the body.
Actually periodic sweating helps to detoxify your body.
Do you have also migraine headache once in a while :?:

Take it with a grain of salt, but that's my idea :idea:

DrLW

Return to “Kitesurfing”