Rare Poster
Gear: Tubes and foil kites
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Comparison BRM Cloud C1 vs C2

Postby calvin_1 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:20 am

Hi,
I wonder about the differences C1 vs C2 in smaller sizes. I know BRM C1 in 8 and 13sqm and like them in the way they are build.
What I struggle with is the high bar pressure compared to other kites.

Can anyone compare C1/C2 in small sizes in the topics of
-power per sqm (C1 13 comparable to 14/15sqm strut-kite, C1 8 comparable to 10sqm strut kite)
-bar pressure

I am interested in replacing strutted kites 8-12sqm.

Would be really nice :baby:

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Comparison C1 vs C2

Postby tautologies » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:40 am

Hi,

I have ridden quite a few of them, and sold my 8c1 and got 9c2....so far :-)

Note that I liked the c1, and I live c2.
I think the C2 was a big step forward. The kite feel more balanced, and closer to a more conventional feel without loosing the cloudness :-)

I do not find the bar pressure very high, and never have, so I am a bit hesitant saying much about that.
I think the bar feels a more even, and less spongy, the kite is a bit less volatile, but still depends on your board input. It is super reactive.

The 9 is very powerful, has great range, and works in gusty conditions. Very easy to handle, but puts in an extra gear when you add your board handling into the mix.

The C2 is less sensitive to the backline pressure, but like with any kite make sure your lines are adjusted right. I know you know all this, but I find it good to remind myself that as well.

I don;t like to compare size to size since there are so many other variables involved, but yes they are powerful kites :-)

a

Aummm
Medium Poster
Style: Old
Gear: Cabrinha, Ozone Kites, NO STRUTLESS!

Postby Aummm » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:48 pm

tautologies wrote:The kite feel more balanced, and closer to a more conventional feel without loosing the cloudness :-)
Really, but you're still not coherent according Dr. :naughty:
I do not find the bar pressure very high, and never have, so I am a bit hesitant saying much about that.
I think the bar feels a more even, and less spongy, the kite is a bit less volatile, but still depends on your board input. It is super reactive.
:blabla: :alarm:
The 9 is very powerful, has great range, and works in gusty conditions. Very easy to handle, but puts in an extra gear when you add your board handling into the mix.

The C2 is less sensitive to the backline pressure, but like with any kite make sure your lines are adjusted right. I know you know all this, but I find it good to remind myself that as well.

I don;t like to compare size to size since there are so many other variables involved, but yes they are powerful kites :-)
:blabla: :yourock:

calvin_1
Rare Poster
Gear: Tubes and foil kites

Re: Comparison BRM Cloud C1 vs C2

Postby calvin_1 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:46 am

Thanks so far, though I don t get the last comment.

Any other responses to the clouds c1/c2?

cleepa
Frequent Poster

Postby cleepa » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:41 am

Aummm wrote:
tautologies wrote:The kite feel more balanced, and closer to a more conventional feel without loosing the cloudness :-)

Here is Aummm's post with the BS edited away ;-)

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:57 pm

I had my first session with a 7m c2 yesterday at a flat water spot in winds averaging 25mph, with gusts near 40mph. Rode twin tip and strapless surfboard. Weight 175#
The kite handled it great. Seemed more refined, smoother feeling than the original c1.
And really fast. The kite had very good manners and more range than I expected.
And it was 70deg F, a rarity here in January!
Oh, and it did flap a bit drifting it through high speed carves down the chops. ;)
Look forward to using it in the ocean.

eabmoto
Rare Poster
Gear: BWS kites

Postby eabmoto » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:14 am

I've found that the Clouds really never need to flap. It's a matter of sheeting out too far. It's not easy getting used to getting the same results by sheeting out 2" instead of 6 or 8 or more. I've watched Greg way over powered and the kite never flaps at all, through the turns or way powered up or any time. I'm not talking about the luffing while drifting down wind. It's really hard to not sheet out too far because of what we're used to, but if trimmed properly with the bar, the kite will never flap. I haven't mastered it yet.

dwaynej
Medium Poster
Gear: Kites

Postby dwaynej » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:52 am

The Cloud's are great kites and Greg's support is second to none. Light weight and great handling! Increased number of front bridle attachment points on the C2 provides support for a thinner bladder.

Aummm
Medium Poster
Style: Old
Gear: Cabrinha, Ozone Kites, NO STRUTLESS!

Postby Aummm » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:11 am

I've found with the 12m C2 if there's enough wind to fly the kite, there will be enough wind to lift the canopy
off the water for relaunch.
If you're talking about boasting days when the wind ramps up to 10 knots,
it jumps 10m to the clouds, being so light stay afloat in 2 knots. :jump:
I don't know if the added power from owners has anything to do with having no struts (spine)
and loving to be brown wing general :?: :buttsmile:

I’m able to convert power spikes for boosting or going up-wind with board speed and really stoked about it. :lol:
Reverse launching is easier than any kites IMO even in nuking winds like 30 knots
which is proving your canopy is still in control. :shock:
The key is the control system by getting rid of the chicken sh!t and directly hook on
to your spreader bar for easy access for full power without the need of depower.
Just because with the Cloud you gain even more de power play through the kites geometry,
on the edge therefore eliminating lots of bar & head pressure.
This f…ken kite makes you forget about the gusts as it stays so solid in even in gusty crapy wind so well,
without any flutter when you’re shited in.
What's surprising though is the hang time, cause I had trouble timing a lot of my jumps at first because
I expected the kite to drop me out of the sky quickly as other kites usually do.
But this as* just hung me up there and drifted me down like a much bigger kite. :argue:
Because of its ability to go very fast, it has a very impressive wide wind range, no other kites having :!:
I have been able to go upwind on the 12m C2 when others were on 14-16m kites. :baby:
The only negatives I can think of is that the bar pressure can feel quite heavy when you aren’t well powered.
After 25 knots bar pressure is quite nice and I think the bar pressure helps though in keeping you
from over flying the kite. :idea:
Nothing personal, because any grown up kiter can make a use of the C2 near the shore to get wet dreams. :kiff:
Even there is a rumor around that PMU is became a team rider, flying secretly the new Cloud2 :lol2:

A
Attachments
CloudyOne.jpeg
CloudyOne.jpeg (11.77 KiB) Viewed 3429 times

aeberl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby aeberl » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:45 pm

Aummm: 12m C2 in 25 knots?
I recommend you to buy a new anemometer.
At that windspeed I am starting to be overpowered on my 9m C2 (83kg rider, 6' surfboard)

Return to “Kitesurfing”